What is included in a car service?

Eliza_2
Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Dear helpful people

In the past I've used a particular garage for MOT/Servicing as it was near to work, but now I no longer work there I've chosen another garage which came recommended. When I asked for a service and MOT they asked what kind of service?

Now I don't really know. The previous garage always did a pre MOT check and an annual service, which I know covered air filter, oil, various levels etc but to be honest I don't know what else - I just thought a service is a service.

Although I don't feel I was taken for a ride by the previous garage, anything that needed doing, such as bald tyres etc was usually pretty obvious and they didn't blind me with mechanical science, I can see that my naivety gives the opportunity for big expensive bills.

What should be included in a basic/ annual service? My car is 4WD, petrol. I live in a very rural area and the poor car has had a hard year what with the weather, rutted farm tracks and me throwing it round country lanes and steep hills. If they do a 'basic service' whatever that is, should I ask them to check anything else specific to my car? I'd really like to be as precise as possible with my request to them but don't want them to waste their time and my money looking at unnecessaries!

Thanks

Liz

Comments

• nullogik
    nullogik Posts: 467 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2010 at 3:01PM
    If you want to go by the manufacturers recommendations as to what to service then have a look in your handbook or service history booklet.

Most will tell you what parts need to be looked at or changed at xxxxx miles or xx months.

In terms of a "basic annual service" I would have the oil and filter changed. The air filter, check and top up/replace other fluids (coolant, tranny fluid, windscreen washer, power steering etc), ignition leads and spark plugs - all dependant on when these were last done. Your garage should be able to advise when to change these if you can tell them when say the coolant/spark plugs etc. were last replaced.

A general inspection of the braking and suspension system periodically is recommended.
    Lack of money is the root of all evil.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
  • Eliza_2
    edited 29 June 2010 at 3:00PM
    nullogik wrote: »
    If you want to go by the manufacturers recommendations as to what to service then have a look in your handbook or service history booklet.

Most will tell you what parts need to be looked at or changed at xxxxx miles or xx months.

thanks, I'll see if I can find it! I didn't think of that! I've had it a while - it's Y reg - so maybe there are different things to look at because it's not very new.

thanks again

And thanks also for the additional info in your edited bit!
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    its usualy a small service = oil change and kick tyres

big service , will be spark plugs filters , hopefully wheels off to check the brakes and a good look round

but on top of that there maybe extra stuff done by time /milage like the cam belt , brake fluid and gear /axle top ups

find a decent garage you trust , they should be able to look over it and say what needs attn
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mum phoned tonight with a similar question. Been told kwitfit do an MOT and service for £99.

They do an oil change for £30 - £40

Interim service for £99-£120

Full service £200+

Oil change = just the oil & filter, probably a call saying you need new brakes & tyres though.

Interim = oil change and they check the washer fluid and brake/clutch fluids. seems like a non bargain to me. £60 to check the fluid levels?

Full service = oil & filter, Fuel filter if required, air filter. Extra £100+ ouch..

Sensible price for an oil change but anything after that is very expensive.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• HouseHuntr
    HouseHuntr Posts: 522 Forumite
    Whatever you do DO NOT go to a KWIK FIT or LEX AUTOCENTRE for any kind of maintenance work on your car. These people are nothing but grease monkies who've had no proper training for your type of vehicle and will do more harm than good with their incorrect and unrequired diagnosis of faults.

AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE !!!!!!!!
  • Eliza_2
    Ok then, so it looks like I need to list oil change and filter; air filter;fluids; points/plugs/leads plus anything else in the handbook. Nothing has been done since the last service this time last year other than a couple of new tyres.

Then on top of that, check brakes and anything else that is needed for the MOT.

Would you say that's about right? So what might this cost me?

Thanks very much
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    HouseHuntr wrote: »
    Whatever you do DO NOT go to a KWIK FIT or LEX AUTOCENTRE for any kind of maintenance work on your car. These people are nothing but grease monkies who've had no proper training for your type of vehicle and will do more harm than good with their incorrect and unrequired diagnosis of faults.

AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE !!!!!!!!

Just thought I'd give that another airing ;);)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    it wont have points unless its early 80s or older , plug leads stay until they play up
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Truth is, there is sod all to do in a standard service nowadays. Unfortunately the general public do not realise this and get ripped apart.

Oil change with filter every *** miles, air filter at 4 times that, pollen filter, who cares?

Brake check, pre mot check? I you can't figure your brakes aren't 100% or something is needed for the mot well, you shouldn't be in charge.

And again pre mot check? don't pay for it, it's free with the mot, a fail is cheaper than a check if you deal with the right people ;);)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Eliza_2
    edited 1 July 2010 at 3:22PM
    Truth is, there is sod all to do in a standard service nowadays. Unfortunately the general public do not realise this and get ripped apart.

Oil change with filter every *** miles, air filter at 4 times that, pollen filter, who cares?

Brake check, pre mot check? I you can't figure your brakes aren't 100% or something is needed for the mot well, you shouldn't be in charge.

And again pre mot check? don't pay for it, it's free with the mot, a fail is cheaper than a check if you deal with the right people ;);)

Maybe so, but some of us have skills in other areas and are so busy excercising those skills that we rely on other skilled people in the same way as I wouldn't want a garage mechanic to do what I do for a living. However I'd want them to concentrate on the things that need skills, not topping up oil and screen wash, which I certainly can do myself. I would want them to check brakes for me - how do I know they're not ok? They lose power gradually over a year so I probably wouldn't notice.

And I would also like to acknowledge and give credence to a skilled mechanic and a reputable garage. We can never all be good and trained at everything.

And the MOT is being done for free, as is the pre-check. I haven't the time to fail and then go back another day, it all has to be done in one day.

However thanks for your opinion - next time I can't work out how to fix my broken kettle, I'll give up coffee.

Sorry, just realised I've risen to a bite of bait here - never mind! LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport