Which companies ignore 'no cold caller' signs?

Former_MSE_Becca
Former_MSE_Becca Posts: 250 Forumite
edited 8 May 2012 at 11:07AM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 8 May 2012, click here to vote
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Sadly, while no law says they need to obey it (except energy companies), it's outrageous how many companies ignore 'no cold callers' signs. We want to name and shame the biggies that do it often.

Which companies have ignored your 'no cold callers' sign?
(The list’s compiled from experiences in our forum)

I don’t have a 'no cold callers' sign (get a free one)

Any charity
Any political party
Any religious organisation
Anglian Windows
Avon
Betterware
British Gas
Eon
EDF
Everest
Kleeneze
Lovefilm
Npower
Sky
Scottish & Southern
Scottish Power
TalkTalk
Other company

None

Click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Please put Virgin media on the list, they are the worst in my area.

I've contacted their customer service on Twitter, filled out a registration form to opt out and they still keep putting things in my letterbox!!
    Almost debt free - except mortgage, personal loan, and two credit cards... oh yes and car! Nearly there :beer:
  • g0recki
    g0recki Posts: 23 Forumite
    The motivations of charities, political canvassers and faiths are very different. They'll usually be volunteers and they aren't out to profit from you. I think their inclusion in this list is unfair.

Disclosure - I do canvassing for a political party as a volunteer.
  • Please put Virgin media on the list, they are the worst in my area.

I've contacted their customer service on Twitter, filled out a registration form to opt out and they still keep putting things in my letterbox!!

Hi savvyindianhaha, thanks for the suggestion. Virgin Media has now been added. :)

MSE Becca
  • Interesting that Anglian Windows are included here as two different salesmen have knocked recently, totally ignoring my sign for 'no uninvited salespeople'. Both claimed they were not selling anything but insisted they were doing a survey and then when I made it clear I was not interested whatever their reason for knocking is, they launched into their sales pitch anyway.
    Also, a British Heart Foundation 'representative' knocked last week and I finally let rip at one of these uninvited callers. The dog ran out the front door and bounded down the road, my young son was trying to round up the dog and all this 'rep' could do was wave her clipboard in front of me. I angrily pointed to the sign and said I was not interested and the reason why I have the sign up in the first place is to prevent this type of thing happening.
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,737
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No arriving on my doorstep unannounced without an appointment and expecting me to accommodate your request just because I happened to open the door.

I don't care that you are from a well known charity that sells large red flowers, or the yellow ones. I give to charity via my wages.

I don't care that you are from the local politician wanting to tell me how your lot are better than the other lot. I'll vote for who I like based on the literature you push through my door.
    I don't care that you are conducting a survey for <insert anything here>, because you'll end up trying to sell me something and I don't buy at the door.
    I REALLY don't care that I am going to hell/some other made up place that you say is where I go if I don't follow your religion. I have religion thanks.

YOU DIDN'T MAKE AN APPOINTMENT with me and therefore you are cold calling defined as:
    Cold calling is the marketing process of approaching prospective customers or clients, typically via telephone, who were not expecting such an interaction. The word "cold" is used because the person receiving the call is not expecting a call or has not specifically asked to be contacted by a sales person.

@ g0recki - I think they ARE justified as being included in the survey.

perhaps people who clicked 'other companies' should name and shame them in the discussion?
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • drjustice
    drjustice Posts: 8 Forumite
    g0recki wrote: »
    The motivations of charities, political canvassers and faiths are very different. They'll usually be volunteers and they aren't out to profit from you. I think their inclusion in this list is unfair.

Disclosure - I do canvassing for a political party as a volunteer.

I don't , I have a clear sign on my door ,they look at me in shock when I tell them to !!!! off and they try to tell me they are not cold calling ,Idiots.
    I give to two charities via my wage and have a sign as I do not won't to be disturbed they deserve all they get if they are stupid enough to knock on a door telling them not to .
  • Coveredinbees!!!!
    Coveredinbees!!!! Posts: 3,926
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't really consider betterware and Avon cold callers it's not like they try and pressure sell just poke the catalogue in and it's up to you if you look at it.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • drjustice
    drjustice Posts: 8 Forumite
    I don't really consider betterware and Avon cold callers it's not like they try and pressure sell just poke the catalogue in and it's up to you if you look at it.

Then they knock on your door for the catalogue back ,so yes they are .

No cold callers means don't knock unless you have been invited .Its not rocket science .
  • darren_lane
    darren_lane Posts: 7 Forumite
    As a Jehovah's Witness I go door to door giving a message of hope along with nearly 8million others around the world.
    I don't think it's fair to put us in the 'cold caller' bracket. We do not solicit money or want anything from the householder. On the contrary, we offer a message of hope and free bible studies to anyone who wants one.
    We do not charge for anything!
    We may appear a bit pushy sometimes but please realise that we believe our message is extremely important.
    We hear "i'm not interested" quite a bit but a lot of the time it is just a reaction. And if the right questions are posed people very ofetn ask us more questions.
    A firm (but nice) no thank you and we will be on our way.
    We mean no inconvenience and one day may be able to help you.
  • maxmiler
    maxmiler Posts: 68
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Irish bloke called. He wasn't selling anything either. Just pointing out that there was moss on our roof and that some of our roof tiles were slipping.
    Moss?? So what!
    And I asked him to show me the slipped tiles. Couldn't find any that had slipped.
    His accent was neither Northern nor Southern Irish accent (have family and friends in both), so I reckon he was what is laughingly called a traveller.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure