MSE News: Plusnet to hike home phone and broadband prices

Comments

• lyster101
    lyster101 Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Must be psychic, switched to another provide yesterday :)

I dodged the PlusNet bullet recently too. They bungled the move to my new house but I was able to get a new contract elsewhere.

I don't understand the high customer service ratings either. The gentleman on the end of the phone was very difficult with me and I had to ask to cancel four or five times. 30 minutes on Britpop before you even get through to a human as well.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    As a plusnet customer for the last couple of years I don't mind them increasing their prices if it means their customer service levels can be kept to their same high standards.
    Never knew they offered a TV package too until I read the price increases, looks like we'll be cancelling sky in a few months.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    neas wrote: »
    I wonder if if I will get a refund of my line rental saver as I paid upfront 8 months ago, but am not happy to be forced to pay more in 4 months time.

Anyone got any ideas?

Why should you get a refund? For what? You paid for 12 months rental at the reduced rate at the time and that is what you still get.
    It was never a guarantee against no increases after any 12 month period.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why do companies feel the need to bump up prices so much, people don't mine a small increase in line with inflation..
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Line rental once again going up while broadband is virtually given away for nothing... eg talk talk. But in this day and age not many people actually use their landline for calls. They use mobiles/VOIP - THE ONLY reason people have a landline is to get broadband - that is its only function. So why are telcos charging so much for a thing less and less people really want?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Line rental once again going up while broadband is virtually given away for nothing... eg talk talk. But in this day and age not many people actually use their landline for calls. They use mobiles/VOIP - THE ONLY reason people have a landline is to get broadband - that is its only function. So why are telcos charging so much for a thing less and less people really want?

So you find a way to get broadband without a BT line .
    Or recognize that its now basically line rental you pay for that could well be called a service charge for the line and equipment that your broadband service requires .

By the way still millions of users that require a land line for calls .
  • sghughes42
    sghughes42 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Patr100 wrote: »
    Why should you get a refund? For what? You paid for 12 months rental at the reduced rate at the time and that is what you still get.
    It was never a guarantee against no increases after any 12 month period.

I've got the same question actually.

I think the point the OP is making is that if they (and I) wait until our pre-paid line rental is used up we will no longer be able to withdraw from our contract without penalty.

So, can we withdraw and get a refund on the unused part of the line rental saver, or are we stuck with either losing part of the cost of it or having to stick with Plusnet and pay a higher charge for the remainder of our contract until we can leave penalty-free?

In my case I signed up for an 18 month contract so I'd still have 6 months at the higher rate once my line saver is up if I can't cancel.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sghughes42 wrote: »
    In my case I signed up for an 18 month contract so I'd still have 6 months at the higher rate once my line saver is up if I can't cancel.

As the price shouldn't increase until the 12 months is up, then that is when the notice should start. Although you might have to threaten or even go all the way to Ofcom to get them to agree to it.
  • Has anyone been contacted by PlusNet about this, yet?
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Nope, but I should be immune for now as I renewed line rental saver last week (to avoid any pending price hike). I also extended my 76meg fibre for 2 years at £10pm a few months back.

Curious to see if they send me a letter/email, even though the changes won't affect me for a year until I next renew line rental saver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure