barclays online, no options WITHout pinsentry

Comments

• notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Maybe I am going mad.

I log on using my long number and then it asks for the pin sentry passcode. However it says on the page, if no pin sentry you can use your memorable 5 digit number and password. But there is no where to actually type these, it always asks for last 5 digits of card and pinsentry code. (i tried typing them in the last 5 digits of card and pin sentry 8 digit code but it doesn't accept them there)

So what am i missing? I am sure i have a few times logged on without the pin sentry just to check balances.

cheers!
    On the first page I chose the Membership number option, well it was already chosen, and entered her original 12 digit number that she has used for last few years, then as I said in post above used her original 5 digit number and then letters from her password as the memorable word and it worked.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Doh yes she can log in, I had forgotten ......

user error then.....

glad you got there in the end, shows the importance of reading stuff carefully enough to understand it :-)

PS - why are you logging in with your wife's security credentials?
    I know marriage is a total partnership but IMO that is going too far.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • iluvsaving
    iluvsaving Posts: 60 Forumite
    PinSentry's are used as they keep your online banking a lot safer. They are for your own protection! They may take an extra 10 seconds to log in but isn't that worth it to keep your money safe?
    Banking is always changing as banks look to stay up to date with the latest security, so please welcome such services.
  • notbritishgas
    Forumite
    edited 3 May 2012 at 7:39AM
    Mgdavid

user error then.....

Yes :o

PS - why are you logging in with your wife's security credentials?
    I know marriage is a total partnership but IMO that is going too far

That does not matter as we have an agreement, what's mine is hers and whats hers is her own!
  • notbritishgas
    Forumite
    iluvsaving wrote: »
    PinSentry's are used as they keep your online banking a lot safer. They are for your own protection! They may take an extra 10 seconds to log in but isn't that worth it to keep your money safe?
    Banking is always changing as banks look to stay up to date with the latest security, so please welcome such services.
    Basic access on Barclays without the Pinsentry is in my opinion quite safe as no transactions can be carried out (except to transfer to another of your Barclays accounts) so it is virtually read only.
  • TotallyBroke
    TotallyBroke Posts: 1,540
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The fact that you can use a PINsentry device from a complete different bank and person does not instil me confidence on security.
    I personally do not have one, but when I needed to pay some money into someone elses account the Barclays staff member used one. She put my card into a calculator looking thing and then asked me to put my pin in... how that thing connects to the banking system I have no idea.... but I'm not sure I like :)
  • wiggy68
    wiggy68 Posts: 6 Forumite
    TotallyBroke - it works across all banks because it uses an industry standard design, the security and personalisation is in the chip on your card, not in the card reader, which is just that a "card-reader".

It does not connect to the back systems as all it is doing is validating that the PIN number entered belongs to the card. It works standalone - which is why it is so secure as it is not connected to the internet or the computer - it can not be compromised by viruses.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    The fact that you can use a PINsentry device from a complete different bank and person does not instil me confidence on security.
    I agree with wiggy68, it's quite secure due to how it works.

If you don't like that approach, you can use the HSBC security dongle, but if it breaks (and they do), you have no access to internet banking until it has been replaced as you can't borrow anyone elses. Thats why the above solution is flexible - your card itself is unlikely to break and the reader is just a standard piece of equipment. If you really wanted to, you could just buy a card reader for your PC and use that, but then you would be vulnerable to viruses, malware and the like.
  • kAos_3
    kAos_3 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Is this just me finding it shocking that in order to log in to my barclays on-line account (using pins entry) apart from my 4-digit pin number all other information is actually printed on my debit card. All a fraudster need is to have a look at me card, write down my name and the numbers there and they just need to guess (or use a few pinsentry "calculators") a four-digit pin, and they are in, able to transfer all my money off the account. I'm truly shocked with this lack of security!

Coupled this with their site's incompatibility with my browser/operating systems, I'm unable to contact them on-line for explanation (or even for looking up the details of my own account).

I'm livid and transferring my money out of them as soon as I get to one of their branches...
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,389
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kAos wrote: »
    Is this just me finding it shocking that in order to log in to my barclays on-line account (using pins entry) apart from my 4-digit pin number all other information is actually printed on my debit card. All a fraudster need is to have a look at me card, write down my name and the numbers there and they just need to guess (or use a few pinsentry "calculators") a four-digit pin, and they are in, able to transfer all my money off the account. I'm truly shocked with this lack of security!

Coupled this with their site's incompatibility with my browser/operating systems, I'm unable to contact them on-line for explanation (or even for looking up the details of my own account).

I'm livid and transferring my money out of them as soon as I get to one of their branches...

There are 9999 different combinations and you get 3 attempts to guess the pin - I think it's highly unlikely they are going to be able to guess it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure