Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,321Posts
    • 4,321Thanks
    JoJoC
    Getting my shhh together
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:20 PM
    Getting my shhh together 26th Jan 17 at 12:20 PM
    It's January 2017 and I want to make a stand against myself.

I will let me sabotage myself no more and I will take control and make my finances better!

Where to begin? Good question! Since my husband and I bought our first house together in 2009, we have bad financial decision after bad financial decision. Not through stupidity, but a combination of naivety, laziness and lack of foresight. We are very impulsive people and it's quite tricky to rein that in when it comes to finances but we've had endless talks over the last few months and 2017 is the year that we sort our sh!t out!

A combination of astronomical childcare costs, unpaid maternity leave, paying the mortgage for our flat when it isn't let (second property) and a few other things has meant that the last 2.5 years have been really tight and we have built up some debt that I really want to reduce. I'll declare it below!

Credit card 1: £6,000 (on 0% interest)
    Credit card 2: £3,800 (not yet on 0% interest)
    Overdraft: £600
    Owe to MIL: £120
    Owe to uncle: £700

I CAN tackle this in 2017 because:

- My eldest son is starting school in August, meaning i'll be saving on nursery fees
    - I have just started a new job and my earnings will increase by around £200 per month
    - My husband is busy with additional work in the form of 'homers' over the next couple of months

Hurdles/ challenges/ costly things happening:
    - My sister's wedding in September
    - My sister's hen weekend in September
    - It's my mother in law's 60th and we are going away for a few nights to a cottage to celebrate
    - Husband is going on my brother-in-law's stag weekend to Prague
    - We need to save for spending money as my company is paying for myself and husband to go to Thailand for a week for work.

As you can see, the opportunities to save, to rein in what we are spending and to pay off debts are there, but it's such a busy year of commitments so I know it's going to be hard going.

How am I going to achieve this?

Change the setup of our banking
    It's currently one big bank account for all income, bills and spending but that's not working for us at all, particularly because we have massive outgoings so I want to switch to having a bills account, a spending account and a savings account.

Spend time weekly on budgeting
    I have set up a comprehensive spreadsheet detailing when money comes in, when it goes out, when money is transferred to savings and when money is transferred to spending accounts. I want to ensure that this is kept on target and we aren't left short so I want to spend time every Sunday night when my husband is at football going through our finances and the spreadsheet to make sure everything is running smoothly and tackle any adjustments that need to be made. I'm paid monthly and my husband is paid weekly so it's a tricky balance.

Striking the balance
    I need to strike the balance between paying off debt that we have and saving up for the things that we've committed to this year - I know if I focus on debt alone, we'll end up further in debt to cover things. Vigilance is the key and I will need to keep on top of what we can and can't afford to do. Considered choices will work best and looking ahead to see what's coming up will help too. I want to tackle the family debt first, particularly as they are the smallest debts and the ones that I feel bad about the most.

I appreciate that there's a lot of debt-free diaries on here and this one isn't solely about hammering debt, but I think it's important for me to be accountable and I want to make changes rather than plan then just bury my head in the sand.

Any encouragement along the way would be appreciated!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Page 1
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 26th Jan 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:27 PM
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:27 PM
    OK! First things first, I have set up a spending account and have renamed an old redundant account that's linked to my online banking as a savings account. It's not going to be high volume savings at this point (and most of it will be being used for various things this year so I don't need to worry about interest).

Once the cards and pins are in (5 working days) I'll start my plan.

Because this is the first month that I'm doing this, i'll need to take a staged approach to putting money into the spending account. I'll put £200 in the account on 1st Feb and the remainder in mid-month.

Over the next couple of months, I should have built up enough of a reserve to do this all in one go, going forward, with a clear date as to what exact date the next amount will be going in, allowing us to budget properly. This account will cover food shopping, fuel and spends.

Once I've been paid and completed the step above, i'll be able to closely keep an eye on whether the account is looking as it should (as per my spreadsheet and projection!) and make any necessary tweaks. February is a short month, so what I've budgeted for spends should be ample.

Meal planning is high up on my agenda for 2017 too! I used to do this successfully before but fell out of the habit of it and convenience trumped anything else (i.e. buy something to stick in the oven, regardless of cost/ health benefits). My husband and I are roughly following slimming world which makes it easier in making healthy choices and planning ours meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). In the four weeks I've been back at work, I haven't bought lunch yet.

Note to self: Don't get caught up in the spending moment - it's ok to say no or suggest an alternative!
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3544.32 £300.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4781 £295 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £11,954 (£3,156 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £20,129 | Total debt paid: £3,703 (16%)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 26th Jan 17, 10:20 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    • 26th Jan 17, 10:20 PM
    • 26th Jan 17, 10:20 PM
    Today's DFW activities
    • I submitted a PPI claim for my husband's old credit card
    • I drove past the deli on the way home today and instead of popping in there for lunch (which would've been convenient and delicious), I went home and reheated last night's leftovers which, by the way, was delicious
    • I ran out of primer but I remembered I have a Debenhams gift card from Christmas - managed to get the primer free (£1.85 left on the card now) and got a discount code for free delivery
    • I completed my spreadsheet, planning the next few months of expenditure and how much we can save...feeling positive

Other positive stuff
    • I changed all the beds today and got them out on the line for the first time this year instead of on the airer (the sheets may have actually frozen, but hey!). My house is still a bit of a tip but the little things help.
    • I seem to be recovering from my hideous flu bug that has floored me for the last four days

I'm now waiting on my husband coming home from a 'snooker date' with his ex work colleague so that we can watch the new episode of Suits before bed.

I'm working from home tomorrow so my main aim of the day is to drop the kids at nursery and drive past Tesco, Aldi and Morrisons without thinking of a reason to go in and spend money!

• angelpye
    • By angelpye 26th Jan 17, 11:34 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,713 Thanks
    angelpye
    • 26th Jan 17, 11:34 PM
    • 26th Jan 17, 11:34 PM
    Good luck on your journey, I am impressed/slightly envious of your spreadsheet prowess. Keep focused! You can do this!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 27th Jan 17, 9:02 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    • 27th Jan 17, 9:02 AM
    • 27th Jan 17, 9:02 AM
    Thanks Angelpye - I figure that I've no excuse not to keep on top of a spreadsheet. It's saved in Google Drive so I can access it from anywhere and I have a laptop at home and I work from a laptop at work so I can't fool myself into thinking I don't have time. I need to MAKE the time!

Thanks for the luck I fear I may need it more than I realise!

Things to do today:
    • Keep an eye on the bank because I'm due around £1000 of expenses back from my work from a business trip at the beginning of January so when I get this in, it'll go straight into the savings account until i can decide what to do with it. Thanfully I now have a company credit card so don't need to worry about personal spending on work stuff.
    • Go down to our flat at lunchtime to let a surveyor in - he's valuing our flat so that we can remortgage our house to buy the housebuilder out of our shared equity flat - this will save us £130 admin fee every year and will make it MUCH easier for us to gain consent to let every year. It also means that if we need to sell it, we'd achieve more for it than what's left on the mortgage. Right now if we had to sell it, we'd cover the mortgage but owe a massive amount to the housebuilder. Now, I just hope they value it as low as it's actually worth so that we can pay a decently low price to the homebuilder (who ripped us off in the first place, hence £30k negative equity!)
    • Be on the ball with work and get stuff cleared off my plate so that I can enjoy the weekend
    • Clear out my purse of change and sort £1 coins into my tin and the rest into my big Quality Streets tub
    • Go through the cupboards to see what we have - begin meal plan for shopping trip on Sunday
    • Clean down the kitchen and steam clean the floor
    • Pick up the kids early from nursery to have some quality time

I'm feeling nice and positive about money stuff and a feeling that we CAN do it!

Our last tenants moved out the flat in November so this will be the third month we've had to cover the mortgage (£1200 mortgage + £180 factor fees ) but we have a viewing today, one on Monday and my husband's workmate is interested in renting it, so we have some interest at least. I could really do with not forking out any more money on it at this point so please, someone, rent our flat!

• angelpye
    • By angelpye 27th Jan 17, 12:08 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,713 Thanks
    angelpye
    • 27th Jan 17, 12:08 PM
    • 27th Jan 17, 12:08 PM
    Glad you are feeling good about all things money today. I think positivity is half the battle. I have subscribed to follow your journey and will pop in to cheer you on
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 27th Jan 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    • 27th Jan 17, 7:04 PM
    • 27th Jan 17, 7:04 PM
    Cheering on is always much appreciated I shall return the favour!

I had a lovely day today - I picked the boys up early from nursery (age 4 and 18 months) and went to visit our old childminder who we're still in touch with. It's always lovely to see the family and they're always delighted to see my boys.

I've been concerned about what to do about my eldest when he goes to school. We'll need to arrange after school care for him but my mother-in-law works shifts and on the weeks that she's day shift or night shift, she has offered to pick him up for school (for free, of course, which is massively beneficial!) but on the week that she works back shift, i'll need after school care. I was concerned because most places you need to book a 'place' and you need to have that place every week regardless of whether you use it or not, which of course costs.

But the childminder friend said that she'd love to do it, even though she only really does pre-schoolers. She misses my boy and would love to have the odd day around school with him! Hooray! So it means that I'd only be paying for three mornings a week for three weeks (£5 per morning) and three afternoons a week for one wee (£12 per afternoon) so around £90 per month max, rather than the £300-350 per month after school clubs have been quoting me!

I need to figure out the finer details but I feel so relieved that my boy will be going back to her house (she's like extended family now!) and that we'll have a spare couple of hundred pounds per month!

What a happy money-saving Friday this has turned out to be

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 27th Jan 17, 7:14 PM
    • 10,450 Posts
    • 69,726 Thanks
    Bobarella
    • 27th Jan 17, 7:14 PM
    • 27th Jan 17, 7:14 PM
    Good luck JoJoC you seem really motivated and enthusiastic about debt slaying. Really hope the year pans out as you hope.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 27th Jan 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    • 27th Jan 17, 8:18 PM
    • 27th Jan 17, 8:18 PM
    Good luck JoJoC you seem really motivated and enthusiastic about debt slaying. Really hope the year pans out as you hope.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    Thanks Bobarella All the best to you too!

Fingers crossed the motivation continues...and when it's lacking, i'll make sure I find someone on here to help me climb back up Motivation Mountain. <-- cheesy, or what!?

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 27th Jan 17, 8:33 PM
    • 10,450 Posts
    • 69,726 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Ha ha nowt wrong with a bit of cheese

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 28th Jan 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Saturday's plans

1. We are off into town shortly so husband can get a free eye test.

2. I'll take the kids to the bank to pay in a £58 cheque from Trainline - my train was delayed in July last year so I got the full price of my ticket back seven months later!

3. I'm also paying in £100 cash to the savings account. My husband did a homer after work and made £150 so well pay in £100 and will spend £30 on a family lunch today (the first in a while). The rest can stay in his wallet for spends.

4. My husband is going to look at another homer today to price it but it's about 40 miles from home so we decided wed all go and make a day of it. I've found a city Farm nearby that's free so we will go there and have fun for free today!

5. Today's dinner is already planned out anf ingredients purchased so no need for us to moan that we are back late and need a takeaway.

Hope everyone is feeling suitably positive about a month saving weekend!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 29th Jan 17, 12:27 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Had a lovely day with the family today and feeling good about financial progress.

As I mentioned previously we are remortgaging to sort out our situation with our flat and we need to pay around £1400 to complete this. After our deposits in the bank today, our savings account is sitting at £950 so we are making good progress.

Although I get paid on Tuesday I won't be able to transfer any more into savings until at least mid month as all of our big bills come out on 1st so I'll need to make sure I don't get disheartened about lack of progress.

I'm really hoping that my husband gets this job that he was quoting for today because that could be around £1000 for a full weekends work (long days!). Trying not to count all my chickens but that would be an amazing boost to the savings account. Keeping my fingers quietly crossed and trying not to mentally allocate the funds...

Tomorrow we are taking the kids swimming which will set us back around £15 then to do our weekly shop so I'll need to do our meal plan and shopping list over breakfast to make sure we are organised. I will not fall into the trap of turning up to Aldi with no list!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 30th Jan 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Well, I was a bit sneaky and didn't write my meal plan and shopping list until I was in the car outside Aldi; however, I managed it and stuck to the list! Had to buy two boxes of nappies and some meat so I thought it'd be an expensive week but managed to do it for £46. I need to buy a pack of bacon (which I forgot) but other than that, i should be under £50 for the week's shopping. Fine by me!

I found a sealed tin that I bought just before Christmas to save £1 coins in. I'd obviously started because there's a few coins in there, but it now has pride of place on my shelf to remind me to put £s in! It inspired me to empty my purse last night, so £5 went in there, loose change went into my Quality Streets jar and all old receipts and other junk was dumped!

It's pay day tomorrow - I'm so looking forward to my saving/ debt busting really beginning with a fresh month! I just hope that my spreadsheet holds up and what I've anticipated will happen, will actually happen! Fingers crossed!

I just remembered that my son has a birthday party on Friday night and I was about to go to town to get him a present, but my Prime trial is still on the go for a couple of weeks so I bought a little lego set for £11.99 and will pick up some sweets to go with it. Buying online definitely saved me money and stress!

My plan for savings/ debt busting is:
    1. Save up for key expenses for first half of the year (£2,000)
    2. Any excess funds between now and July above the £2k saved above will be paid to my husband's uncle to begin paying off the deb, then credit card if there's more available funds (haha i wish!)
    3. Save up again for key expenses for second half of the year (£3,500 - sister's wedding, hen do, stag do, driveway repairs, spending money for work trip to Thailand).
    4. Any excess funds from July onwards to be ploughed into the credit cards.

I know it's not strictly a debt-first attitude, but this year is manic in terms of commitments, so i'm hoping that using the above approach will help to bring our debt down while ensuring that we don't end up further in debt through poor planning of finances.

It all makes sense in my head, now just to see if it works in reality!

• Naomim
    • By Naomim 30th Jan 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 2,922 Thanks
    Naomim
    Ok, I have to ask. What's a homer??

you sound like you're really determined which I think is half the battle but keeping up that determination when things slow down is the other half!

I'm also meal planning, shopping in Aldi's, bringing in lunches to work. It all helps. I'm lucky my kids are school age and 7yo goes to her Grandparents after school so no fee's, however 11 yo at high school and eating me out of house and home! Costing a fortune this growing lark!

Good luck

Naomi x
    CC's Nov16 £18,609.97 / Jun17 £21032.03 Overdraft 06/17 £4577.44 07/17 £4505.35
    Aiming for a debt free date: April 2024
    £2 savings club #26 lost count but still collecting!
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 30th Jan 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Ha - I'm obviously assuming that this is a common term! My husband is an electrician and a 'homer' is basically work outwith the work that he does for his company.

You're right Naomi, I'm feeling super motivated right now but payday is on the horizon, i'm full of the enthusiasm of my new spreadsheet but I just hope i can keep it up when life gets busy and I'm met with temptation.

That's great that you have the grandparents to fall back on for after school. I didn't think we'd have that option for my son, but I'm glad my mother in law has offered.

I have two boys aged 4 and 18 months and they already eat me out of house and home so I dread to think what they'll be like in a few years! We're following slimming world too, so Aldi is great for that. Fresh fruit and veg all the way, especially the 39p specials!

Ok, I have to ask. What's a homer??

you sound like you're really determined which I think is half the battle but keeping up that determination when things slow down is the other half!

I'm also meal planning, shopping in Aldi's, bringing in lunches to work. It all helps. I'm lucky my kids are school age and 7yo goes to her Grandparents after school so no fee's, however 11 yo at high school and eating me out of house and home! Costing a fortune this growing lark!

Good luck

Naomi x
    Originally posted by Naomim

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 31st Jan 17, 1:31 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    It's pay day today! I have transferred the first part of our monthly spends to our spending account and that will need to tide us over until mid-month. £200 for fuel, food and spends for a fortnight, should be doable!

My husband has secured that work that he was viewing at the weekend, so once that's complete on 13th Feb I should be able to put a nice deposit into our savings account

Once our big haul of bills comes out tomorrow I'll need to go through the monthly planner again to make sure all the figures are roughly following my projection.

Treat!
    I treated my husband and I to a voucher for tapas. It's a lovely restaurant and we went there a few years ago for our anniversary so it'll be lovely to go again on a date night. I can't remember the last time we had a date night (possibly our anniversary back in September?) so I'm looking forward to that. £22 well spent.

• GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 1st Feb 17, 9:48 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 3,145 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Good luck JoJoC! You are so organised and it sounds like you have already identified where any pitfalls might be (focusing exclusively on debt and then needing additional funds to cover expenses), I think I need to do the same with my year ahead and make sure that debt repayments are permanent reduction of debt, not revolving credit!
    I have subscribed to your diary and will follow with interest!
    Working towards being debt free by 31st December 2019!
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 1st Feb 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Good luck JoJoC! You are so organised and it sounds like you have already identified where any pitfalls might be (focusing exclusively on debt and then needing additional funds to cover expenses), I think I need to do the same with my year ahead and make sure that debt repayments are permanent reduction of debt, not revolving credit!
    I have subscribed to your diary and will follow with interest!
    Originally posted by GeorgianaCavendish
    Thanks for popping in GC - I've subscribed to your diary too so hopefully it'll keep us nice and motivated when we're sharing our journeys with like-minded, debt-challenged people!

I am a pretty organised person for the most part so I'm hoping this stands me in good stead, although I recognise that i fall into a trap of feeling overwhelmed with my busy life at points and let things slip, hence where the debt comes in!

Revolving credit must come to an end!

I'm going to do a full and accurate count of debt today (if i can lay my hands on the final pieces of paperwork that I need) so that'll hopefully give me a more accurate picture of our situation and be able to set proper monthly goals soon.

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 1st Feb 17, 1:58 PM
    • 10,450 Posts
    • 69,726 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hope the Tapas evening will be lovely. It's good to celebrate!

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 1st Feb 17, 2:55 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Hope the Tapas evening will be lovely. It's good to celebrate!
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    Thanks Bobarella - we've yet to put a date in the diary but it's something nice to look forward to for sure! I'll just need to make sure I budget for a few glasses of wine with the meal so it's not unaccounted for expense!

How are things going with you? I've part read your diary - just working my way through them when I have the chance to offer support, cheer people on and gather tips and motivation!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,304Posts Today

8,674Users online

Martin's Twitter