Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    • 2,316Posts
    • 14,713Thanks
    parsniphead
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......
    • 5th Jun 16, 4:45 PM
    The end of procrastination and disorganisation....... 5th Jun 16 at 4:45 PM
    .............and the above are the reasons for virtually all of my problems in the past and present, be it debt, weight, careers and the state of the house.

I have plans, big plans which I don't have time to pop on here right now, but I intend to use this diary to sort me out once and for all.

It's going to be fun.....a real step into the unknown.

I can't wait.
    Nothing gets better until you get better.

2018 My year of creation, living life and learning.

The purpose of life is to create a life of purpose. Richard Gregg
Page 49
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 12th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • 4,799 Posts
    • 27,287 Thanks
    in need of direction
    if you have netflix, have a search on it or on line for forks over knives. def food for thought
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £78,892.61, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £4,075.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £355.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 9/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 12th Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 14,713 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thanks folks. I knew you would all have some good ideas, and when it comes to food I need all the help can get.

Another work week done and a weekend to look forward to. I'm going to spend at least two hours per day decluttering. I'm having another night of " oh my god, how much stuff do I have to sort". I have a large bottle of babysham, a Christmas gift, which I'm going to drink while doing some tonight. Things need to be sorted as I've been thinking about my future and plans I would like to achieve.

But first, the clutter.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Jan 18, 10:51 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 11,128 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Enjoy the babycham. Toast the future you and keep decluttering
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/December 2017=2,510
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 4,857 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I didn't realise they still made babycham! I hope you enjoyed it. I try and do self reward to make myself carry on - finish the shelf I can have a cup of tea and so on.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Jan 18, 1:53 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 14,713 Thanks
    parsniphead
    It was awful and they shouldn't still make it. Urgh I'll stick to real ale.

Currently in the middle of decluttering hell and failing spectacularly. Also listening to a radio station playing music from when I was young, hopeful and vibrant. A perfect mix to lower the mood. Where did time go, where did that person go, when did the middle aged, frumpy old bag arrive?

A bookshelf looking at me with books of hope and a planned future which never arrived.

Feeling my age today and craving excitement. Or I'm turning I to Rea from Butterflies. Anyone remember that?

Small town blues.

Get a grip girl, eh.

I'll come back when the miserable old s0d b#givers off.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 4,857 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I did have a moment of surprise when I read it - baby cham and real ale such opposite ends of the spectrum.

Just think about the clothes and the haircuts we had back then. I was reading this on the bbc earlier and it made me shudder to think of the way we dressed at school.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 13th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    • 4,152 Posts
    • 13,128 Thanks
    abba1772
    We all have days where we feel like that Hunni you moan away parsnip xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £3998.33
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £365.69
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Jan 18, 11:30 AM
    • 4,799 Posts
    • 27,287 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I'd forgotten about butterflies but know exactly what you mean. At least now though we all have a longer shelf life and more opportunity for change.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £78,892.61, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £4,075.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £355.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 9/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 17th Jan 18, 7:12 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 14,713 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I did have a moment of surprise when I read it - baby cham and real ale such opposite ends of the spectrum.

Just think about the clothes and the haircuts we had back then. I was reading this on the bbc earlier and it made me shudder to think of the way we dressed at school.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Some dreadful styles there. I was more of an indie/goth in the 80's so dodged most of the styles of the day.

We all have days where we feel like that Hunni you moan away parsnip xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    Thanks Abba. I have some strange days.

I'd forgotten about butterflies but know exactly what you mean. At least now though we all have a longer shelf life and more opportunity for change.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Too true INOD. I definitely relate to her cooking skills.

A day off for me today and I have piles of alterations to do. Not my favorite thing but its all money. I do have to pop to the shop but have a list. I must stick to it. I'm also go to have a mooch through fabric stash and see what I can come up with for me.

Oh and DS's bedroom .

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 11,128 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Enjoy your fabric mooching Parsniphead
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Fabric mooching sounds like fun! I am looking at some fleece to copy a jumper I love... Mostly sorted in my head how to do it but copying the collar will take some doing. Won't promise it will keep me out of mischief but I may moan a little. However: nothing ventured, nothing gained, and while I prevaricate over it you will have made something nice and actually be wearing it. What do you have in mind?
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 18th Jan 18, 7:09 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 14,713 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Enjoy your fabric mooching Parsniphead
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks. It was a bit frustrating because due to the state of my house I couldn't find what I wanted.

Fabric mooching sounds like fun! I am looking at some fleece to copy a jumper I love... Mostly sorted in my head how to do it but copying the collar will take some doing. Won't promise it will keep me out of mischief but I may moan a little. However: nothing ventured, nothing gained, and while I prevaricate over it you will have made something nice and actually be wearing it. What do you have in mind?
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Try finding a tutorial on YouTube on collars. Its bound to be out there.

I was going to make a skirt with the most garish fabric ever seen but couldn't find it. I hate this messy house.

SELF SABOTAGE

Its been in my head since i read DIA's post yesterday. She is so close but its such a strange place to be. Three years ago i was within hundreds of being debt free, took my eye off the ball and got into debt again. I've always put it down to complete disorganisation with my money but I have also wondered if it was self sabotage.

I'm so desperate to be debt free and live in a nice house but don't seem to be able to reach my goals. I know the money thing will take time but I have no excuse with the house. I need to tidy up and get rid of stuff. Perhaps once it is tidy then the thought of dealing with the refurb and the finances which it will incur is what is stopping me from doing what needs to be done.

Do I need a plan? Probably. Am I scared of making plans? Yes, because when I do things go wrong. Am I an idiot? Yes.

Take the washing as an example. I'm not too bad at keeping up with it but the other day I couldn't find loads of it. I could have put it away when done but I didn't so it got lost. I've found some of it but stuff is still missing. So the problems was a) not putting it away and b) having so much carp it got lost.

The plan NEEDS to be to get rid of stuff and pare down as much as is possible. I MUST NOT let the house get any worse. I must make time to get things done and within a specific time frame. I NEED to take the boot full of stuff to the charity shop. I cannot get anymore stuff in my car.

This stuff does scare me. Every week I pass a hoarders house and I don't want for me to become like that. Its a scary sight, not only seeing the stuff up the windows, filling the front garden but also the four big box vans parked outside full of stuff too.

Debt is so damaging. It causes so much hurt and pain. It takes away opportunity and adventure. It takes away a decent life. The only way past it is learning from it. Using the anger as a weapon against it and kill it forever.

It just a few thoughts prompted by another's comments.

So before work I'm going to wash up and put it all away. I'm also going to take the washing off the stairs and put it in the bedrooms as a minimum. I will try to put it away too, if not tonight it will be done.

I must get on. Have a fantastic day and be happy. x
    Last edited by parsniphead; Today at 7:12 AM.

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Found some helpful YouTube stuff thanks!

Self sabotage... subtle and difficult but my friend who's a counsellor reckons it can be done. I'm another who self sabotaged

Hope your day feels productive! The garish skirt material will emerge eventually. Perhaps there's an alternative in the meantime?
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 21,847 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I think you're being too hard on yourself Parsnip. It's good to have a plan - it can be a good servant but a bad master. Things change around us constantly, sometimes as a result of decisions we make and sometimes because life throws stuff at us. Review your plan regularly and, if it's not working for you or things have changed, review and adapt the plan and until it's workable again.

Any step forward brings you closer to achieving your goals. It's still a step forward if it's only part of what you'd originally planned. I felt so overwhelmed when we were considering moving but moved the mountain by carrying away small stones. I won't say it was easy all the time but it was easier.

Are you sure you are being realistic about what you can achieve in one day? - I am having to review my plans as I'm not getting through my To Do List for the day and finding that frustrating. I think I'm just expecting too much out of the 24 hours available

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 2.4% paid House Deposit Contribution: 92% Emergency Fund: 58%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 18th Jan 18, 10:50 AM
    • 4,152 Posts
    • 13,128 Thanks
    abba1772
    I agree with fortune you're definitely being too hard on yourself maybe you should start being kinder to yourself as you're defo not a idiot xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £3998.33
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £365.69
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 11,128 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Debt is so damaging. It causes so much hurt and pain. It takes away opportunity and adventure. It takes away a decent life. The only way past it is learning from it. Using the anger as a weapon against it and kill it forever.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    I agree with the other posters you are being hard on yourself. I know because I do it too. It doesn't feel good and ultimately it doesn't really work. So I have beaten myself up for months about the state of my front and back gardens because I felt I SHOULD be able to do them myself, but I haven't, just been beating myself up instead. It took someone else to suggest a different approach. You can rethink this. Do it differently. Be kinder to yourself. You are an inspiring, creative, sensitive person and a lovely mum. You are.

I love what you say about debt. It is so sad and so true. But we are all here fighting the good fight and that is something

Have a lovely day Parsniphead
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 18th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 14,713 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Thank you all for your lovely comments. You're all so nice and kind. I do need to make some kind of plan but just small daily ones to start with.

I managed to wash up and put things away. I then cleared the stairs of washing AND put it away. I will sort out the stuff on the radiators after work. Oh and get the stuff put away D'S has taken from his draws and stuffed into bags and boxes. I would leave it but it takes too much time to track things down.

I also managed to put washing in the machine ready to switch on when I get home.

Must dash and get back to work.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,386Posts Today

10,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin