Which PC? Can it play Games?

Hi,

I hope this is ok for me to ask here. I've spent hours looking at new PC's trying to figure out whats best and what to buy.

I have found these two and was wondering what was best as one has an i7 instead of an i5 but less RAM.

Option 1:
Inspiron 3847

i5-4460 processor
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx2)
1 TB hard drive
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 705 1GB DDR3 - graphics card

Option 2:
ASUS Essentio M11AA-UK010S Desktop PC
Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor
Windows 8
Hard drive: 1 TB
Memory: 6 GB
no graphics card

I have never played games on a PC was thinking maybe I could on a new PC. Nothing too intensive. Would either of these handle games? and would option one with a graphics card or option two with no car but an i7 be better?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    It will depend on what games you tend to play.

but the majority of games dont tend to require lots of memory, or large cpu power.

6gb is plenty for most games, and the i5 will be quick enough for most games too.

What they do tend to need is graphics power, so a pc with a dedicated gpu will be better. Althou the GT 705 isn't exactly a good gpu for gaming, it'll be better than the i7, but may still struggle with alot of newer, more graphical games
  • Ianh82
    Ianh82 Posts: 153 Forumite
    those machines would struggle with anything other than flash games and older pc games. the processors are both excellent and the rest of the spec is good, but a better GPU is required. the asus would be good and just add a new GTX970 or radeon GPU and it would fly.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Neither.
    What is your budget for the new machine?
  • Option 1, 1tb hard drive would be good to store games,
    an i5 processor works quite well with games, You can play the latest games with it,
    8gb ram would give you a very good no lag game experience and Nvidia is a very good choice for graphics card
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    LordNoah wrote: »
    Option 1, 1tb hard drive would be good to store games,
    an i5 processor works quite well with games, You can play the latest games with it,
    8gb ram would give you a very good no lag game experience and Nvidia is a very good choice for graphics card

That particular graphics card is not up to gaming on. It's inferior to the nVidia GeForce 8800GT which was released way back in 2007. The 705 is based on an ageing architecture and is little more than an entry-level graphics card designed for those who need a dedicated graphics card for low intensity graphics applications. It is in fact just a re-badged nVidia GT610.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. my budget is about £500 then I will buy a screen for about £130.

I don't want to play high end games. Just some strategy war games. Newer versions of Age of empire or command and conqueror.
  • Cisco001
    edited 23 September 2014 at 8:48AM
    Saw this on HUKD, it fit your budget, and don't think you could find something better than this for this price
    http://www.medion.com/gb/shop/multimedia-pcs-medion-akoya-p5331-g-pc-310019242.html
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    With that budget, you are going to struggle i think.

but prioritise the gpu first, something like a GTX750 isn't too expensive and will do a decent job for things like that.

Another option is to buy a pc without a gpu in and then get the gpu second hand, saving some money, an older generation second hand gpu like the GTX650/660 might be an option

for strategy games, i wouldn't go much lower than an i5, as these tends to need abit of cpu power to manage all the units and large maps.

if you are really struggling with the budget, then an AMD APU might be an option, they are generally better at games than the usual integrated graphics, and will beat some of the low-end budget gpus. It should do ok for the older games, but will struggle with more recent games
  • Cisco001
    Or you can consider this (Pick this purely for price, I can't comment on customer service)
    http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=2093

i5 4460
    Windows 8.1
    Gigabyte H81M-D2V
    8GB DDR3 1333mhz
    1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
    22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2GB
    Zalman R1
    450W Corsair VS
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2014 at 12:57PM
    If you've got a mouse, keyboard and monitor, I'd suggest going for an AMD-based build instead of Intel. You could easily get a reasonably powerful PC that could do what you wanted for £500.

For example, something like a system consisting of:

AMD Piledriver FX 6300
    Asus M5A97 Motherboard
    1Tb Seagate Barracuda HDD
    8Gb Avexir 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
    Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 285 Dual-X Graphics Card
    Galaxy Evo Gaming Case
    Corsair Builder Series 600W Power Supply

Come out at £503.81 at Overclockers.co.uk.

If you really needed an optical drive, then you could switch the R9 285 Dual X for a less powerful but still very good R9 280 graphics card that runs about £30 cheaper in order to add the optical drive.

If you're not confident about building PCs yourself, Overclockers do, I believe, ship systems prebuilt to spec if you phone them. Or you may have a friend who can do it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure