Friday 19 December 2014. What small DFW stuff will you do today?

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym .

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending .

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important

Comments

• Morning all.

Happy Friday. All machinery is on buzzing away cheap rate. Shame it still costs something!

Just put the news on, seen Aus thing and turned it off again, so that is about 4 days in a row it is too awful to watch.

Off back to bed with tea and toast. Hope for a NSD and no lapses of concentration. Will avoid emails and certainly not be going near any shiny shop places.
  • Ratison
    Ratison Posts: 263 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Morning early bird Maria!

I've been so busy this week, barely had time to check in. But I've definitely snagged a few NSDS in there, need to check YNAB to tally up just how many.

Today is my last day at work for two weeks, so I'm going to try and tie up as many loose ends as I can, then forget about everything until January!

All meals from stores.

Continue with my Christmas food shopping list. Think I'll go very early in the morning to try and beat the rush.

Wrap the last of my presents, not too many to go.

Hoping to get my payslip (complete with payrise) today so I can properly do my YNAB categories for next month.

Have a great Friday everyone!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Morning all :)

Need a decent list today, after being poorly, looking after baby GD on Wednesday and being downright lazy yesterday :o

Check banks

Feed chickens which seem to have settled down ok :)

Put breadmaker on

Continue food/ grocery shopping list - nearly there I think!

Wrap those presents so we can use the dining table again :eek:

Find out the Christmas decorations to decorate the sweet little fir tree I bought at Lidl, in lieu of a traditional Xmas tree. We did have a 'proper' one which lived outside in its pot for most of the year, but it had grown too big to bring in this year, so has gone to live with DD1, who has planted it out with some other young trees. Her two little girls have hung decorations on it as they didn't want it to be left out of the festivities just because it is growing outside :rotfl:

Cleaning

Make some mince pies and possibly some biscuits as well. There is a lovely recipe for gingerbread tree biscuits in today's online Guardian :)

Make marinated salmon for dinner later

Hope I get all that done!

Have a nice day everyone :)
  • greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Was going to be a NSD but I forgot my lunch! Made mini pizza last night (homemade dough) but left it in the fridge :( Will freeze and save for another lunch next week.

Friend coming to stay tonight. Work have given us all Christmas hampers so I have loads of nibbles and booze for us to enjoy!

Christmas shop is coming Saturday night, I'm making a trifle :)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,102 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 19 December 2014 at 12:43PM
    Morning Campers!
    And here are today's efforts:
    *Cleaned whole house using minimal products.
    *Finalise next week's meals up till Christmas Eve, check final baking plans & write shopping list.
    *Saved a teensy bit of energy by sharing bath tub & turning another radiator down a notch.
    *Updated energy spreadsheets as had taken weekly meter readings but not collated the figures.
    *Checked Dec's budget as it's still a few days till pay-day, & then we have that L-O-N-G month ahead till the next one. We're in the black, but have spent all December's grocery budget - I've saved the £62 on our Co-op dividend card for tomorrow's shop, then January's budget will commence on Dec 27th.
    *Arranged BACS transfer from emergency fund into current account ready to pay bathroom bill. At least we are able to borrow the shortfall from ourselves rather than some or other interest-charging organisation. Bill (BNPL) not actually due till end of Feb, but I'm getting twitchy about it because if for any reason it got overlooked, we are instantly locked into monthly payments & the total charge rises from under £5K to over £11K.......that is NOT a route I'm prepared to go unless a totally massive emergency presents itself!
    *Did a couple of quick projects for an online community I'm on at the moment. Signed up for another product trial - I've done 2 recently, so may not be picked for this one, but it's a guaranteed £10 voucher for those who take part, so nothing ventured, nothing gained!
    *Entered a competition. It's only a draw, but the prize is to pay a year's worth of energy bills, so thought i'd better at least kick my name into the hat!
    *Lunch & dinner - Using up stuff in freezer.
    *Paid first coins into my new sealed pot.....notice mr f's clearly been stuffing his with coins.....I reckon he's looking at this as a competitive pursuit :-)
    *Empty out Big Change Jar as we are discontinuing it. Will do this after lunch while I'm waiting in for the Virgin Media engineer. it's mostly coppers, with a bit of silver. Will see what there is, then decide what to do with it.
    *Filing session for financial/admin stuff.
    OK, that's me, off to find some cash bags.
    Have a good day all.
    f x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Hi,

Definately a spending day for me. Bought my new glasses, the world is so shiny and sparkly.

Busy in work, lots of people want to do things before XMAS.

Have a good day everyone. I could really do with a little power nap, lunch will have to do.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi all

Happy Friday!

I passed a professional exam this morning so treated myself to a Terrys Chocolate Orange in the supermarket. :o

I'm working from home now and have saved about 40 miles worth of fuel today (as exam center is nearer than the office). I finish in just over an hour and OH is out tonight so want to make the most of some productive time and sort my wardrobes out.

I plan to throw, donate and sell items that I don't want, but won't be doing the selling until the new year.
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Afternoon all!

Today I have/will:-
    * Checked banks
    * Take fruit to work
    * Fill water bottle up at work
    * I had lunch cooked for me today as a kind of xmas lunch so wont need a lot later as I'm still stuffed and apparently I have to have a piece of chocolate log before I leave!
    * Bought one free pizza plus found a 11p off your next shop voucher and a receipt with 24 unclaimed clubcard points. I also found a receipt with 4 points on but the date has been torn off so don't think I'll be able to use it
    * Get another free pizza on way home and look for more receipts!
    * Sandwich for dinner

I might go and see my best friend tonight who's down so if I do I wont do any housework. But if I don't I'll hoover lounge, put a wash on, change my bed and drop some chairs over to MIL.
    :xmassign:
    Starting again..
  • Evening All

Its Freezing here

ive been very lazy today
    ive got my works nite out I could run a mile I just want my pjs on
    and watch tv
    its all paid so I should smile
    try and run away about 11pm

better get my finger out xxx
    debt total £71k AGE 47 TRY TO BE DEBT FREE BY 50
  • Ratison
    Ratison Posts: 263 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Update - got my payslip and immediately calculated how I'm going to use the extra on my debts. Aiming for DFD of 29.03.2015. So excited!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure