Weight getting me down

Comments

• prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    For me, it wasn't my mum so much who was critical about my weight, it was my nana.

I remember when I was around 4 years old and I went on holiday with my nana and one of her great nieces. My nana took great delight in measuring my thighs with a tape measure before measuring her own and declaring that they were the same size. I rmember her laughing that her thighs were the same size as mine, and as I was only 4 it meant I was very overweight. This was the first time in my life that I noticed my body and considered that others looked at it negatively. Not a good lesson for a 4 year old.

I always thought of myself as fat and spent most of my teens and twenties on different diets. I'm a good 4 stone heavier now, but bizarrely I feel much better about myself and my weight it more stable. I've been a heavier than my current weight too, but I seem to have settled at 13 stone and a size 16.
    i think all nans are like that, mine was the same.. when I was a kid she use to call me a cheeky faggot ..which was quite funny:D
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Even better is to choose a kind of exercise you actually enjoy.

My problem is that I don't enjoy any kind of exercise. At school, the only sport that I was any good at was shooting. And you can do that lying down.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026
    Forumite
    My problem is that I don't enjoy any kind of exercise. At school, the only sport that I was any good at was shooting. And you can do that lying down.

you dont enjoy it at the time doing it....when you finish you get chemicals in your brain making you feel happy..Why do you think people run long distances.?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    All these positive comments got me out the door this morning and I started back on the couch to 5 k. Was difficult and i know its only 1 run but I feel better for it, rather than just sitting about feeling annoyed. Like many of you, I plan not to tell anyone I'm trying to lose weight or that's all they will talk about! I used to stay active by horse riding but don't have the time for that now.
    I do feel I need to take action. My family need me and I know they would be devastated if I died young because of something avoidable. I also appreciate the advice about a better mindset. I need to focus on my strengths and believe in myself more.
    If my mum was only concerned about my health I wouldn't mind so much. Its the fact I think she is embarrassed and sees me as unattractive. Funny thing is she recently gave me some of her old clothes so she hasn't always been slim herself.
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011
    Forumite
    Well done for taking the first step. Now to keep going :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    fireflyaway
    Just to say 'well done'. :T
    I think it's a really good idea not to say anything to anyone.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I agree about not saying anything. Your satisfaction will come soon enough when waistbands and other items of clothing start feeling too loose.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks guys. Maybe this time will work if I forget what everyone else thinks and do it for my own reasons.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I haven't read the thread yet, but I would highly recommend looling at this site

http://peacefuleating.co.uk

It has changed my life, literally. It is about time people took focus off weight loss as being a panacea for all of our ills.

Studies show that 95% of people who diet will regain weight, and 40% of those will gain even more. Weight loss is not necessary for health improvements, healthful behaviours are necessary for good health...for example eating a well balanced diet, moving in ways that are enjoyable to to you. Ensuring your mental health is at the best it can be.

https://thebodyisnotanapology.com/magazine/11-reasons-your-concern-for-fat-peoples-health-isnt-helping-anyone/

Also, if you look at my history, you will see this is something I have struggled with for years. I don't anymore.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Diets, including SW, calorie counting, WW etc only lead to disordered eating in the majority of the people that follow them. And generally cause a diet/binge/diet weight cycling effect.

Since stopping dieting, my weight has stabilised - in fact, I think I may have even lost weight, but I don't know for definite because I threw my scales away. The stabilisation of my weight has involved no willpower, internal struggles or effort at all compared with dieting!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure