Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Heaply wrote: »
    SA have confirmed to me that they close check in for this flight 50 minutes before take off. .

Were you not given boarding cards in London. I guess the key time is what time they close the gate and how long it physically takes to get from arrivals to departures. 1 hr 10 seems tight but I have never been to JNB
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ....... when the BA website gives it as an option for a connecting flight, you assume it is possible........

there's your mistake. Never assume, check.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Heaply
    Heaply Posts: 3 Newbie
    Well, that is a counsel of perfection and with hindsight, it might seem obvious. but life is too short to spend it double checking every fact you are presented with. Also, if I had checked, who would I have checked with? Jo'burg airport would have said over an hour was fine - so would BA, they take information from the airport. Who else should I have asked? And how long would it be reasonable to spend doing all this? And is it actually my responsibility to do it? Does it in any way diminish BA's responsibility to provide accurate information? If they describe a flight on their website as a connecting flight and it is in no way possible for it to be so, then in my book they have mis-sold a product and should pay compensation under consumer law. But that is like getting blood out of a stone.....
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 July 2014 at 12:31AM
    ..... life is too short to spend it double checking every fact you are presented with. .

By the same token it's too short to spend a day kicking your heels waiting for the next flight so why risk it? The trick is to check the important things, it's called common sense.
    Also, if I had checked, who would I have checked with? Jo'burg airport would have said over an hour was fine - so would BA, they take information from the airport. Who else should I have asked? And how long would it be reasonable to spend doing all this?.

You could have asked a travel agent, or even a forum like this for instance; it didn't seem to take Caz long to find out some parameters. You haven't answered the questions in post #742 so we don't know where you lost the time to make the connection.
    And is it actually my responsibility to do it? .

Yes.
    Does it in any way diminish BA's responsibility to provide accurate information? If they describe a flight on their website as a connecting flight and it is in no way possible for it to be so,.....

I think you are misinperpreting what airlines actually mean (in detail) by the phrase 'connecting flight'. If it was a clear-cut case then BA would not be disputing it.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • karenll
    karenll Posts: 11 Forumite
    My husband and I were due to fly with British Airways to Tenerife on 25th June at 14.20 but the flight was delayed till 11am on the 26th June, we were put in a hotel for the night with evening meal, and breakfast but we had to leave before breakfast was started, we were coached to and from hotel, obviously we spent money at the airport and for drinks in the evening, we missed out on a days holiday which was all inclusive, do we claim via BA or through our travel insurance. Can anyone advise me please, many thanks
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    karenll wrote: »
    My husband and I were due to fly with British Airways to Tenerife on 25th June at 14.20 but the flight was delayed till 11am on the 26th June, we were put in a hotel for the night with evening meal, and breakfast but we had to leave before breakfast was started, we were coached to and from hotel, obviously we spent money at the airport and for drinks in the evening, we missed out on a days holiday which was all inclusive, do we claim via BA or through our travel insurance. Can anyone advise me please, many thanks

Was there some deficiency with the answer that 111KAB gave you, that required you to repost this question? The answer remains, as he said, "both".
  • karenll
    karenll Posts: 11 Forumite
    Vauban wrote: »
    Was there some deficiency with the answer that 111KAB gave you, that required you to repost this question? The answer remains, as he said, "both".

I understood completely but 111KAB also said to post in the dedicated BA thread which this is what I've done, so no need to be rude
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    karenll wrote: »
    I understood completely but 111KAB also said to post in the dedicated BA thread which this is what I've done, so no need to be rude

Rude? Me? How very dare you ...

Actually, 111KAB also said read the thread. Which you didn't do, else you wouldn't have needed to post your question at all - let alone twice.

But I'm only jealous - since you've had a holiday in the Canaries, and I'm still stuck here in this wig.
  • scofra
    scofra Posts: 20 Forumite
    Considering putting in claim, but I've just noticed that the BA tickets quotes "Arrival time" on ticket, whereas the airport Flight Information quotes "Landing Time". Considering that this is for Paris CDG, it makes a difference.

The ticket said: Depart Heathrow 14:50, Arrive Paris CDG 17:05 (actual flying time is 45mn-1hr). So, in theory the bus from parking bay to gate can take: 30-10mn (!)
    The actual flight took off at 17:45 and landed at 19:32 (3/4hr flying time), but passengers didn't arrive into the airport for another 20mn-1/2hr due to bus transfer...!!!

In this case, it's only a matter of minutes till the 3hrs delay cutoff point... Has anyone encountered this case? Which times can I use? Any advice? Thanks!
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    scofra wrote: »
    The ticket said: Depart Heathrow 14:50, Arrive Paris CDG 17:05 (actual flying time is 45mn-1hr). So, in theory the bus from parking bay to gate can take: 30-10mn (!)

Are the times not all local times? Paris is an hour ahead at the moment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback