Advice for Uni part time job?

Hello,
Just a quick question about my part time job at uni...
So i work part time for Tesco while im at uni, and over the holiday im going home but driving in to work, instead of transferring, so ill be doing a 45 minute drive on the motorway daily. I did this as i thought id rather keep my job up here as ill only have to travel for 3 months. I currently work on checkouts(which is understaffed) but as customer services has no one on there either all my hours are on there instead of checkouts(makes my pay very confusing). The manager of the customer services says she wants me on there permanently, but hasnt really given any indication when or what days! I wanted a few more hours a week as i only do 10 at the moment, so i was hoping the customer services would offer me around 13 hours a week. As i havent heard anything about customer services i was wondering if i should ask checkouts for more hours instead as that seems more guaranteed that they will extend my contract? I prefer customer services though as the day goes quicker! im so confused and stressed about it :/
Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    You may cause trouble between departments if you ask to extend hours in checkouts when you have been working for customer service under a different manager. If I was you, I'd talk to the CS manager and explain the above. They are just people, and they will appreciate you being straight forward.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Just ask who you report to for more hours and discuss with them the current situation over where you actually work on a day to day basis.
    Those responsible for the two areas should be cooperating to cover the needs of the company.
    If you can catch them together that may avoid any you should hve talked to me first.
    I would consider approaching it from the how can I help.
    "hi, obviously we are short staffed to cover tills and CS would me upping my hours help you guys? I think I could do another x hours regularly might be able to do a few more......"

I would also be discussing hours on weeks when you have increased availability(holidays).

With travel time/costs, I would be wanting to optimise that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure