Cheap card to use abroad?

Hi
I have been using travelex supercard and I was super happy with it, but now they going to close it. I'm looking for some alternative. Because banks charge fees on every transactions and not best rate they use.
Any advice, please?

Comments

• LuxuryWoman
    LuxuryWoman Posts: 156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I use the Halifax Clarity card abroad, below is copied from website.

there are no usage fees:
    • No fee to use anywhere worldwide (interest charges apply)
    • No cash withdrawal fee (interest charges apply and some ATM providers may charge a fee)
    • No annual fee
    • £20 cashback offer valid on accounts opened by 3rd September 2017, conditions apply.

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Another vote for Clarity. Sits in the drawer until I go abroad when the barlcaycard takes its place.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Decent options (including Halifax Clarity among others) are summarised at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Another vote for Halifax Clarity CC. No charges & always fair exchange rate.
  • hpy
    hpy Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thanks a lot.
    I have been successful on application for
    Clarity Credit Card.
    Is it really no fee on cash or shopping?
    Cheers
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    hpy wrote: »
    Thanks a lot.
    I have been successful on application for
    Clarity Credit Card.
    Is it really no fee on cash or shopping?
    Cheers

No cost on purchase but you get charged interest on cash withdrawals. So assuming you get the better 18% rate currently available that works out to 1.5% a month. Assuming a two week holiday and withdrawing at the beginning and repaying on your return that means you pay a 0.75% effective charge, so taking out £100 costs you about £0.75.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Monzo. Doesn't cost a penny.
  • Bloomberg
    Bloomberg Posts: 665 Forumite
    hpy wrote: »
    Hi
    I have been using travelex supercard and I was super happy with it, but now they going to close it. I'm looking for some alternative. Because banks charge fees on every transactions and not best rate they use.
    Any advice, please?

Apparently the Barclaycard Platinum Travel card is meant to be very good. I think I read on this site that it is the best card for foreign usage. I have just applied and been accepted for one ahead of my business trip to The Philippines in July.

Apparently if you clear the balance before the statement date you can avoid charges on ATM withdrawals. Also the Barclaycard app is first class and even shows your credit rating. Good luck.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • hpy
    hpy Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thanks... Is it not the same on clarity cc?
    ( if you clear the balance before the statement date you can avoid charges on ATM withdrawals.)
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Make sure you have more than one source of funds when traveling, any card can sometimes fail, or be lost, stolen etc. I always carry several.

Apart from the insignificant daily interest charged by most travel credit cards on cash withdrawals, the best options cost nothing and do not require currency conversion until they are used, avoiding the problem of leftover foreign money.

Don't let any travel agents talk you into buying their cards, it would probably be cheaper to use your regular debit cards while overseas.

Never accept the offer by payment terminals or ATMs to debit your card in pounds, always pay in the local currency and select 'Without Conversion' if an ATM offers the choice.

The new 'mobile only' bank, Starling, has no fees or limits for overseas use of its card, which will cost nothing to try out in addition:

https://www.starlingbank.com
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family