Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,106Posts
    • 59,859Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2017 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 30/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 10
    • chanie
    • By chanie 25th Apr 17, 2:12 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 7,130 Thanks
    chanie

Another bargain store was Flying Tiger- it's a Danish outlet shop. Lots of pretty wooden / glass eggs at around 18 or more for E1 They look very sweet hanging from twigs with some daffodils. Again stocked up for friends and their sproglets! They also had some polyester shower curtains for E1. I bought a few and cut them up and sewed them into shopping bags complete with their own little pouch. The threads from these was a pain with static electricity- stuck to everything!! Worked out at 6 for 87 pence

Originally posted by Katiehound

I love Tiger. The only way to describe it is as a posh poundshop, but the quality is really good.

I bought my MIL some luggage cubes. I was eyeing them up on Amazon, but refused to pay the 4 P&P but found them cheaper on ebay with free P&P. I refuse to pay for P&P unless desperate, so Amazon are loosing my business!!!
    2017 challenge to save 800
    Savings on purchases 420.24
    MAY food budget - 181(groceries) 0 (Costco)
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 27th Apr 17, 8:28 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    I love Tiger. The only way to describe it is as a posh poundshop, but the quality is really good.
    Originally posted by chanie
    Am i right in thinking it's only a physical shop still? No online. Used to be sadly. There isn't one anywhere near me. Always used to check but it said in store only.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 5/12
    Read a book a week: 17/52. Current book. "How I lived on a pound a day".
    • chanie
    • By chanie 27th Apr 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 7,130 Thanks
    chanie
    Am i right in thinking it's only a physical shop still? No online. Used to be sadly. There isn't one anywhere near me. Always used to check but it said in store only.
    Originally posted by crazy-cat-lady

Yes, I believe it is instore only - the website is just to show what they sell.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 27th Apr 17, 4:05 PM
    • 16,106 Posts
    • 59,859 Thanks
    mum2one
    Another vote for tiger store, we found one last yr in Prague, then realised we have one at home, ours is a pop up shop, not sure how long there staying.

Sox nit been around, seems one thing after another, gd news mum got her stitches taken out, so she can wash her hair... but not till Sunday... x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 27th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I've never come across Tiger, sounds like a fab shop
    Chanie I bought my storage cubes from eBay for the free p+p and I liked the selection of designs
    mum2oneglad ur mum is doing better.

Bought a few top up presents for my niece, DD and DDBF in the B@@ts clearance. Abit cheeky that they are 50% after the 70% sale but are items that I couldn't find in my store, are great top up presents and I used my points. Also bought a couple of extra bits that could be used a small emergency presents, but if not.....will be used as presents from me to me.
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 383.15:money.
    April grocery challenge 171.21/ 200 May GC 93.22/190
    • chanie
    • By chanie 27th Apr 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 7,130 Thanks
    chanie
    I've never come across Tiger, sounds like a fab shop
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties
    Hema is similar to Tiger and they deliver. They have a store at Victoria Train station in London, which I've been to a few times. Like Tiger, they sell a little of everything and its stuff you don't see elsewhere. I think they are Dutch.

http://www.hemashop.com/gb/

They have cute stationery and make up bags which are cheap, but don't look cheap.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 28th Apr 17, 3:10 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 36,078 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Hema is similar to Tiger and they deliver. They have a store at Victoria Train station in London, which I've been to a few times. Like Tiger, they sell a little of everything and its stuff you don't see elsewhere. I think they are Dutch.
    Originally posted by chanie
    I seem to think that when I worked in Germany we used to call Hema 'Dutch woolworths!'... guess it's the same shop many many years later!

Looks like Tiger stores also operate (d?) under the Zebra name!
    My friend went to Norway recently and she said that someone bought things in Tiger there a good bit cheaper than her local Uk store! Seemed hard to believe since prices in Norway generally are just so expensive.

Today bargains in Aldi.
    They had their Easter cookware- silicone spatulas, slices, measuring spoons down to 29 pence saying things like "You're a good egg & Some bunny loves me!". No guesses what people are getting in their stockings.Originally priced @ 1.49 or 1.99
    They also had their kugelhopf baking tins @2.50, were 4.99 before and I think 7.99 at the start.
    You really have to watch the prices of these things at the till- overcharged by 7!
    It's always worth a cruise past the orange labels!
    Last edited by Katiehound; 01-05-2017 at 1:37 PM.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • chanie
    • By chanie 28th Apr 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 7,130 Thanks
    chanie
    My luggage cubes arrived today and I'm pleased with them. I got the same ones as happykitties. So, that's one more gift I can cross off my list.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 1st May 17, 11:06 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I bought my DD some perfume on Saturday online, a really good buy in Superdrug to go into her stocking I always compare prices before I buy perfume so was well chuffed.
    katiehound sounds like you had some fab bargains in Aldi.

It sounds like we are all doing well with birthday and Christmas prep this year.
    I have two birthdays this month, presents and cards all sorted, have saved my stamps from the RM surveys to send, I feel so much better when I am organised-makes a change!!!!!!!
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 383.15:money.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 2nd May 17, 7:04 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 36,078 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Several presents bought today without too much hassle!

This year I have lots of 'roundy' birthdays to buy for and as before had decided that we pretty much have what we want so charity will benefit. (and of course any item will also incur p&p.... more spondoolies for the Post Office.)

So,'bought' the 2 lucky recipients cute golden retrievers from Canine Partners-sponsorship for the year with a gift package that includes pup updates, info and a cuddly dog which I think the relative sproglets will enjoy. And to accompany them I bought x 2 subscriptions to Good Housekeeping @ 6 issues for 6- a bargain.

I then cancelled another friend's GH subscription which has just paid out by DD and set up a new one with the 6 for 6 deal so that won't end until Feb or March next year. Oops getting ahead of myself!

I would very much have liked to support Medical Detection Dogs but all you get for your money is a pen and an annual magazine. Not money well spent in that sponsoring a dog should spread the word with updates and things.So another charity benefits instead.

And a treat for myself- Prima mag @ 6 for 6 having just cancelled the existing DD!

Thank You
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 3rd May 17, 11:03 AM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 36,078 Thanks
    Katiehound
    and mutter , mutter, curses, curses have just remembered that I should have done those subscriptions through TCB. Last year it was well worth it! So lost out on 3 but one more to go. (Two were over the phone as I needed to cancel existing DDs and start again so no chance for cash back that way!)

Will now put a TCB sticky fixer message on the screen! in the hope that I don't then ignore it........

Thank You
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 4th May 17, 8:55 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Was in the right place at the right time today.
    Wanted to get a Sanctuary set for my bestie from B@@ts.
    I had gone into B@@ts on Tuesday to pick up my top up bits I had ordered in their clearance sale online but had forgot my vouchers so decided to pop in today.
    Got some extra bits for my DD for uni and then found that the Sanctuary sets were not only reduced to 75% off but on a 3 for 2 aswell. I ended up with 105 of Sanctuary sets for 17.
    My mum doesn't really leave her house now due to ill health and has several friends/helpers going in so I knew that some of the sets would make ideal presents for them.
    I drove straight round to my mum's after, laid all the sets out on the settee. She had a fine old time picking sets out she wanted for people, I think she is planning to wrap them tonight.
    After the set for my bestie we had one set left which we are going to donate as a charity prize.
    So it really was a win win situation today, with extra points aswell because of my vouchers and even I've done some wrapping tonight.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 19th May 17, 1:09 AM
    • 16,106 Posts
    • 59,859 Thanks
    mum2one
    Apologies - been missing in action.... just seems to have been a bad few weeks one way and another, last weekend was a year since we lost dad. Getting there slowly.

Bargain hunting,,,, if you have a card warehouse - they have a sale area, items that are 1

(I've got)
    Set of 2 boxed pearl wedding anniversary glasses (5)
    Set of 2 pens boxed (3)
    Matching leather notebook 2

They also have 3 items for 1, generally 1 items.

Hope everyone is ok, plodding along trying to tidy the house us, in the last week, gutted dining room, my bedroom, miss hoodies bedroom, outside storage ..

From this - had 3 runs to the tip, 3 bin bags for charity shop, odds and sods on f/b sellers.

Xx
    Even more good news... finally got the ppi money throu, paid the rest off the car, it's gorgeous. It's 7 yr old Peugeot 207, it's new to me, then 1.5k going up for Cuba for next yr.
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 19th May 17, 8:34 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Really need to watch the pennies and get some bargains put away now. I handed in my resignation at work! Not going back at the end of maternity. Woo. Hated the place. 11 years of misery. Feels amazing to know I don't have to go back, but terrifying at the same place. It'll be very tight, but we will manage. Husband has a good job and it will still work out better than if I were going back and we had to have a full time nursery.
    Not got any bits to put away recently. But have found a few bits cheap of Ali express for party decorations, bags, balloons. All ready for her 1st. Rather than paying more here. Need to start again. Glad I had a good head start the rest of the year.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 5/12
    Read a book a week: 17/52. Current book. "How I lived on a pound a day".
    • Julie67
    • By Julie67 19th May 17, 8:59 AM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 20,926 Thanks
    Julie67
    Good morning all,

Hope you don't mind me joining in.
    I've already started on Christmas. So far have a book for dad , 1 from Poundland, legal thriller which I think he will like. I also picked up two huge Bayliss and Harding bubble baths for the mums from the charity shop 3.49. I've also got MIL some slippers.
    Finding it hard to concentrate on Christmas as we have 6 birthdays in June
    I bought my daughter a nice gift set yesterday from Origins. Not cheap but 36 for a total of 70 worth of products. She has very sensitive skin but I know she loves Origins, and I love her
    I shall pop into Aldi today for a mooch and thanks for the heads up on Card Warehouse Mum2One I shall pop in later.
    Have a good Friday all x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017. Total debt 23,861.33
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 20th May 17, 8:07 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Doing really well with Christmas, just really struggling with my DB and top up presents now. Some general presents I can't get till nearer Christmas-I always get the M&S biscuits for thank you presents when they are on special offer.
    Just saving up for the living room and some other decorating to be done.
    Planning to get it done when my DD has her first reading week (early November)when she goes to uni so that she can look after the cats in her room while decorating can be done.
    Have said she can put the tree up after which is mega early in my books but I can't get the decorations out on my own and we don't know when she will be home next before Christmas. DD is very happy about this as she loves Christmas and I don't have to stress about Christmas while the decorating is happening (hate DIY at the best of times), I can just pack up presents ready to send and prepare Christmas cards.
    That's the plan....but the best laid plans!!!!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 24th May 17, 9:17 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Despite the glorious weather, I've bought a few more top up presents and have been wrapping. Had to wrap presents for a family member from myself, DB etc so thought I might do an extra bit of wrapping.
    So far everything is going good and I get to deliver the presents to the family member on Saturday-still have their Christmas 2016 and birthday presents, keep moving them around the spare bedroom so want them delivered and out of the way now.
    I hope everyone's Christmas preparations are going well x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

3,623Users online

Martin's Twitter