PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Allergies in the home?

This isn't a health question but more trying to work out what in my home I could be allergic to for example washing powders or fabrics so can use different ones or wash them different and how to cut down on allergies from products.

Ok then, only really noticed stuffy nose and eyes symptoms 4 years ago when I moved to a property next to a large playing field and I got constant itchy ears so assumed hay fever, moved to a new area and had a large field across road but changed from itchy ears to a red eye (this was about November 2015) it went away for most part about easter last year bar eye being a tiny bit pink (like tired) sometimes. Moved here December 2016 and had no problems until around mid March, slept fine clear nose, never drowsy/tired then all of a sudden since then it came on fast and had opticians appointment today who said its an allergy.

Washing powder is my first bet as the allergies started when I got large tubs of the stuff that last a year at a time though change from bio to non bio every year, another thing to think it I used fabric conditioner for the months where I had no allergies and when I ran out I started getting them again, again not asking health question but if fabric conditioner changed something (maybe its the water im allergic to) Its hard to describe without going into symptoms which would be more of a health question.

Other thing is 2 years ago I got a used bed from charity shop for spare bedroom so wondered about fabrics.

Another is the problems started occuring in 2015 less than a month after I got a new vacumn that picked up a lot of dust, first few times I used it I got a lot of dust in my face when emptying (which I did every time I used it as well as rinse filter and tub)

That would tie in with the period I didn't get allergies as I had a broken arm struggled to use vacumn so used it about 3 times every 2 weeks instead of twice a week as now

Only other change that happened around that time was I got new curtains, and with broken arm I often used liquid soap more to clean than bars of soap, and since the allergies started to occur when I changed back to soap bars, I prefer dry soap so if its that what alternatives are there?

Comments

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    That is a lot going on! Some things you need to ne aware of:

1. Allergies can develop over time. Just because you have always been fine with X product doesn't mean you won't develop an allergy to it.

2. A mild allergy can flare up sometimes if the body is under stress. I have a few products that I use with no problems most of the time, but a mild illness / recovery from an op / stressful time / flare up of an existing allergy can lead to them making me itch.

3. KEEP A DIARY. Boring, but the only way you can see patterns. Eliminate certain things so you can see more clearly.

Finally, don't be afraid for a few weeks, of using no soap at all - just rub with plenty of water and a flannel. And consider pure unscented soap like Simple or plain Marseille soap, if you haven't already.

I have been through this, and it is miserable; but when you see a pattern emerging, it can be so helpful.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi

This borders on medical advice, so I have referred it to the team and closed the thread for now

kind regards
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business