Entitled to benefits looking after disabled husband?

Options
13»

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Pa_Ja wrote: »
    I guess there is potential for a degree of flexibility from her employer.
    If she dropped a day that would mean she worked 28 hours. There could be an opportunity to drop to 30 but still have day off, just longer working days.

That's what I did that's why I asked, went from 37hrs/5days to 32hrs/4days.

On their current circumstances they are entitled to WTC of £17 per week. Plus PIP that he already receives.

If she changed her hours to 30hrs that would give her a salary £16,285 pa. On those hours they'd also get WTC of £39 per week plus your father would continue to receive PIP.

If less than 30hrs they wouldn't qualify for WTC until she is 60 (if doing at least 16hrs at that point).
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's part of my reason for asking. Its to help find a better work/life/domestic/carers balance.
    If she were to drop to four or three days that would mean her income would be £15k or £11k respectively.
    Would that be reflected elsewhere when looking to seek further income support?

Thanks everyone

Are those figures gross or net?
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    I think you might need to sit down and have a discussion about how to move forward.

Since your mum needs to work at least 30 hrs to claim working tax credits with the severe disability element (my apologies for getting this wrong - website I used was badly worded) then you need to discuss their priorities to move forward.

Does your mum need to work less hours each day or need a day to 'catch up'?

Does your dad need support during the day which he isn't getting because your mum is at work?

Does your mum need help with housework/care for dad/both?

it may be a case of dealing with the situation by 'thinking outside the box'.

If someone came in each day to care for your dad would that help?

If they had a cleaner, would that help?

Knowing that there is little help financially and reducing hours until your mum is 60 means that they are going to have to adapt.

If you could tell us the specific problems then more help might be forthcoming.
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    You might like to have a read of this fact sheet and give CarersUK a call if you require more help.

http://www.carersuk.org/files/helpandadvice/4765/factsheet-e1029--assessments-your-guide-to-getting-care-and-support.pdf
  • Pa_Ja
    Pa_Ja Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your input, its much appreciated. As you say , the family will have to seek advice , review their possible entitlement and ultimately decide how to move forward.

As per th below questions. My father is capable within the home, ie. Cooking, his own personal hygiene, etc.. the problem is his fatigue which then leaves my mother to pick up the slack after hours and on wknds which is beginning to have an effect on her own health and well-being.
    Her first thought was to reduce her hours at work so to have at least one extra day at home.

Those salary figures was based on income before tax.

To add something further into the mix. My brother also lives at home. He's in his mid 20's and falls within the autistic spectrum. He suffers from anxiety and struggles to communicate. The family are currently seeking professional help for him.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,414 Forumite
    Options
    Your father was working before he had his stroke - was there any occupational pension scheme?
  • misswoosie
    misswoosie Posts: 72 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 5:41PM
    Options
    That's part of my reason for asking. Its to help find a better work/life/domestic/carers balance.
    If she were to drop to four or three days that would mean her income would be £15k or £11k respectively.
    Would that be reflected elsewhere when looking to seek further income support?

Thanks everyone

ATM on £19000 gross your Mum is taking home £16,201 or £1,350 per month. Paying £1,498 income tax and £1,300 in National Insurance.
    £15,000 would be take home £13,481 or £1,123 in your pocket a month paying £698 income tax and £820 in National Insurance.
    £11000 is below the Income tax threshold so your Mum wouldn't pay any income tax and only £380 National Insurance so "take home " would be £10,660 or £888 per month
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/

I would also suggest contacting the Stroke Association as someone else suggested.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If your father is not paying tax he could transfer part of his tax allowance your mother if he has not already done so. This gives your mum an extra tax allowance.

Transfer Marriage Allowance- this is available from 2015/16.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance/how-it-works

Your father needs to apply to do the transfer and ask for it to be back dated to 2015/16 if he did not pay tax in those years
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    The thread is two months old ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business