mileage allowance

stcyrus
stcyrus Posts: 53 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Employee vehicles: Mileage Allowance Payments (MAPs)

Employee vehicles: Mileage Allowance Payments (MAPs)

MAPs are what you pay your employees for using their own vehicle for business journeys.
You can pay your employees an ‘approved amount’ of MAPs each year without having to report them to HMRC. To work out the ‘approved amount’, multiply your employee’s business travel miles for the year by the rate per mile for their vehicle.
Find out more about reporting and paying MAPs.
Type of vehicle
Rate per business mile 2017 to 2018
Car For tax purposes: 45 pence for the first 10,000 business miles in a tax year, then 25 pence for each subsequent mile
For National Insurance purposes: 45 pence for all business miles

does anyone know and could tell me were to find the relevant information regarding the reimbursement of mileage costs to employees.
i work for a company which pays me .20 in per mile for mileage .i don 't do any where near 10,000 miles a year so i am wondering why i am not entitled to the .45 pence.before i go and question my line manager i am hoping to find a precedent any help appreciated

Comments

• I don't think there's any law about how much mileage an employer pays for business mileage, it is up to the employer to decide.

If you are only being paid 20p then you can claim tax relief from HMRC.

Depending on how much your salary (and other income) you have you could get anywhere from £0.00 to £0.09 per mile tax refund.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You are not entitled to 45p per mile from your employer, it's up to them to decide what to pay you (and by using your own vehicle you decide to accept this).

You are entitled to claim tax relief from hmrc on the difference between what you are paid and the approved amount.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure