Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 13Kent
    • By 13Kent 28th Jan 17, 12:50 PM
    • 989Posts
    • 3,575Thanks
    13Kent
    A Petition for govt to debate about Forces pensions being tax free
    • 28th Jan 17, 12:50 PM
    A Petition for govt to debate about Forces pensions being tax free 28th Jan 17 at 12:50 PM
    This was shared with me so I thought I'd share it on here.

Make the uk armed forces pensions for 22 years service tax free.

The current U.K. Armed forces pensions, after 22 years service is taxable, other services are non taxable, this should be addressed and made fair across the public sector. Why should the armed forces serve 22 years plus to receive a taxable pension?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178330

Page 2
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 13th Feb 17, 5:15 PM
    • 8,235 Posts
    • 6,468 Thanks
    Andy L
    That's the theory. In fact, the Armed Forces salary is reduced (9% in my day) in recognition of the 'free' pension.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    5-6% in the last AFPRB. Although its based on how much better than "normal" pensions the AFPS is rather than its full value
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 20th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    I used to work in local authority pensions, and count myself lucky that my husband has a Forces pension. I haven't come across a better pension scheme, though I'm sad to hear it's being changed under the AFPS15 scheme.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 20th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I used to work in local authority pensions, and count myself lucky that my husband has a Forces pension. I haven't come across a better pension scheme, though I'm sad to hear it's being changed under the AFPS15 scheme.
    I'm also a retired LGPS administrator - but before that Mr S and I did 50+ years of RAF service between us. When I first started in the LGPS my team leader tried to convince me that I should transfer my RAF pension benefits into the LGPS 'because it would be a really good deal'. Then I explained that I was already in receipt of my RAF pension (at 40).........

I've had a quick look at AFPS 15, and it seems to be a career average scheme based on the current Civil Service scheme.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 20-03-2017 at 1:40 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

3,623Users online

Martin's Twitter