Mid 30s need job ideas - help!

Options
I am in my mid 30s and for most of my life have been a SAHM. I have a degree and for the last year have worked in a call centre as it the only place that would give me a job after being a SAHM for may years. I HATE my job and need ideas of where to go next.

* I want to work part time - max 20 hours a week
* Cant drive so need to work in one building/place
* Do not want to deal with the public, but do like talking to people in general like work collegues
* No phone work
* Nothing too physical as my health is not so good
* I am quite happy to do a repetive job
* Very good with written English
* Can use a PC and have ECDL
* No working evenings/weekends

My ideal job would be one where I get to work in an office all day, on the computer ect and be pretty much left alone. The Lionbridge job looked ideal for me, but I failed the test.

Any ideas about what I could do?

Comments

• Samanthamum
    Options
    Please? Someone must have an idea?
  • brokeinwales
    Options
    TBH your "No phone work" specification is going to limit you a lot . Otherwise I would suggest looking for a job as an administrative assistant in a small - medium-sized company. (Perhaps something like an electricians, or a charity). The work in itself is often dull and undemanding, but it can be varied - include filling in forms, writing letters, keeping records, processing invoices, photocopying etc. there'll also be opportunities to improve your IT skills and learn a few new things. But it will involve answering/ making a few phone calls.
    In all honesty, unless you want to work in a factory I can think of very few jobs that don't involve either dealing with the public or speaking on the phone at least a little bit - I think if you want to work this is something you just have to get over.
  • stephyt23
    stephyt23 Posts: 852 Forumite
    Options
    TBH your "No phone work" specification is going to limit you a lot . Otherwise I would suggest looking for a job as an administrative assistant in a small - medium-sized company. (Perhaps something like an electricians, or a charity). The work in itself is often dull and undemanding, but it can be varied - include filling in forms, writing letters, keeping records, processing invoices, photocopying etc. there'll also be opportunities to improve your IT skills and learn a few new things. But it will involve answering/ making a few phone calls.
    In all honesty, unless you want to work in a factory I can think of very few jobs that don't involve either dealing with the public or speaking on the phone at least a little bit - I think if you want to work this is something you just have to get over.

I'm going to have to agree with that. I've had two office jobs in the past and both involved some work on the phone. With a list of requirements like that you'll be lucky to find a job where you don't have to compromise on something
    Saved: £1566.53/ £2000
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    The type of job you describe - part time, mon to fri day time - is the type of role many mothers are keenly seeking so you have a lot of competition.

Added to other criteria - office based, no contact work, no travel, non-public facing, not physical - and you also cut down on many opportunities.

Looks like you will have to wait it out for this very rare admin role vacancy to pop up and be ready for the stiff competition from other people wanting an easy stress free job.
  • Samanthamum
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice. I think factory work might be a good option for me.

It is not so much I dont like the public or talking on the phone, but in a call centre I deal with a lot of abuse. Just dont want a job were abuse is seen as the norm and it seems a lot of the work with the public involves this.
  • Samanthamum
    Options
    stephyt23 wrote: »
    I'm going to have to agree with that. I've had two office jobs in the past and both involved some work on the phone. With a list of requirements like that you'll be lucky to find a job where you don't have to compromise on something

Dont mind work on the phone as long as I am allowed to hang up if someone is abusive. Many companies dont allow this.
  • stephyt23
    Options
    Isn't a lot of factory work physical though? Quite a few also work evenings.
  • stephyt23
    Options
    Dont mind work on the phone as long as I am allowed to hang up if someone is abusive. Many companies dont allow this.

Well no they wouldn't. I've worked in a call centre and if people became abusive I had to put them onto my supervisor to handle. And I worked with people claiming JSA and other benefits so got a lot of abuse if claims weren't accepted. You just don't take it personally. It's not you their having a go at it's the company, and often them just venting their frustration if they are in hard times
  • Samanthamum
    Options
    Isn't a lot of factory work physical though? Quite a few also work evenings.

Guess it depends. My friend works in a packing factory and is sat down all day. They have the "mums" shift 10-2

I could really do with some advice from someone who helps disabled people back into work. I do not claim DLA but have mental health and mobility issues and have no idea who to talk too. Might ask my therapist, she might now.
  • Samanthamum
    Options
    Well no they wouldn't. I've worked in a call centre and if people became abusive I had to put them onto my supervisor to handle. And I worked with people claiming JSA and other benefits so got a lot of abuse if claims weren't accepted. You just don't take it personally. It's not you their having a go at it's the company, and often them just venting their frustration if they are in hard times

I am a supervisor! LOL I do know what you mean, but I just cant take it anymore. I am VERY good at call handling, but come home and cry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure