Ryanair - Traveling to Belfast, Ireland without passport?

Comments

• jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    PandaPants wrote: »
    A few months ago I managed to fly from Belfast to London on my driving licence, but they weren't going to let me through Stansted without a passport. I had to show them my boarding card from that same morning and got a telling off from th supervisor before they let me on.
    You took a domestic, in-country flight and were stopped and asked to produce a passport? And got a telling off when you didn't have one? I find this most odd. Must I now carry my passport when I get the train from Birmingham to London? And if I drive?..
  • jammin wrote: »
    You took a domestic, in-country flight and were stopped and asked to produce a passport? And got a telling off when you didn't have one? I find this most odd. Must I now carry my passport when I get the train from Birmingham to London? And if I drive?..

It clearly states on the Ryanscare online boarding card that you must have a passport to use on-line check-in. However, my friend checked us in and printed off the boarding cards, so I didn't realise until I was actually on the flight, having got through Belfast with my driving licence as ID.

They now make you enter your passport number when you check in online.
    Undefeated Wii Fit ski jump champion!
    Vegas Junkie....

Festering_Plates' number one fan! :T
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jammin wrote: »

Indeed. Yet another reason not to use Ryanair.

I used them for the first time yesterday, and the experience was so bad that I have vowed that it will be my last flight with them.
  • jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    PandaPants wrote: »
    It clearly states on the Ryanscare online boarding card..
    Ah, seems I mis-read your post then. I thought that you meant the Immigration staff in Stanstead were giving you a rollocking for daring to fly from one end of the UK to the other sans passport.

I didn't realise you meant Ryanair staff giving you a telling off for using online checking with a driving licence and thus not adhering to their Ts & Cs..

That explains it then.
  • jammin wrote: »
    Ah, seems I mis-read your post then. I thought that you meant the Immigration staff in Stanstead were giving you a rollocking for daring to fly from one end of the UK to the other sans passport.

I didn't realise you meant Ryanair staff giving you a telling off for using online checking with a driving licence and thus not adhering to their Ts & Cs..

That explains it then.

The woman telling me off clearly missed her calling as a teacher. I felt about 5 years old and felt like crying. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Undefeated Wii Fit ski jump champion!
    Vegas Junkie....

Festering_Plates' number one fan! :T
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Nonsense.

The individual airlines will all accept an EU driving licence on CTA flights - however, Ryanair (and possibly others) may insist that you check in at the airport if you aren't carrying a passport. It may be for security reasons - or it may just be Ryanair getting extra money. Whatever - the point is that a driving licence is accepted by all airlines on CTA flights.

It should be doubly noted that many CTA flights don't even go through passport control - Ireland will check at all ports, but anyone who's been through Dublin Airport or Dublin/Dun Laoghaire ferry ports will know that they tend to wave people through. And certainly, Aer Lingus flights from Ireland to Heathrow tend to land in the domestic areas anyway.

I stand by what I said - a passport is not essential for domestic flights in the UK but as it is possible to get it wrong by choosing another document - then the passport is probably your best bet as it is universally accepted
    John
  • Hi - Thanks all!

Will my friend be able to use the airport checkin for an additional fee payable on the day?
  • Yes, make sure they check in early though.

Airport Check-In
    Each passenger checking in at the airport is subject to an Airport Check-In fee per person per one way flight. If the fee is paid at the time of flight reservation online the discounted rate of £5/€5 will apply. If the fee is paid at the airport the standard rate of £10/€10 person/per one way flight will apply
    Standard opening of check-in desks is 2 hours prior to scheduled time of departure.
    Ryanair recommends that passengers check in two hours prior to scheduled departure, especially if you have Checked Baggage. Check-in desks, self-service kiosks and Bag-Drops close strictly 40 minutes before scheduled departure. We reserve the right to cancel your reservation and deny you boarding if you do not comply with the Check-in Deadline.
  • sarahluv wrote: »
    that's just not correct. he would've needed photographic id, but not a passport.

It does depend on the carrier's restrictions. So it may be correct, may not be - all depends on the individual T&C's. Immigration/Special Branch have no issues with driving licences (provisional or full) on CTA flights, however - and this applies for all members of the CTA.
    irishjohn wrote:
    I stand by what I said - a passport is not essential for domestic flights in the UK but as it is possible to get it wrong by choosing another document - then the passport is probably your best bet as it is universally accepted

And if you don't have a passport, what's the point in shelling out a small fortune for one if you don't need one? Again, check the carrier's T&C's before travelling and you won't have a problem.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    How confusing is all of this!

Will I be able to use my provisional drivers license (photo ID) as proof from Newcastle to Belfast with easyjet?

Know someone above said it may be easyjets policy not to accept them so I'm done for if they don't!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure