Flush by 30?

Options

Comments

• Magpie100
    Magpie100 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is a drag, but I think you're doing really well. Re the job - I would try not to second-guess your manager. You are perfectly entitled to apply for it - if you getting it leaves them with a gap to fill then that isn't really your problem!

Very impressed with your commitment to your lodgers and being so level-headed about it all. It's a great thing to do - you should be proud of yourself.
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    Phew - well, Magpie you'll be glad to know I've cheered myself right out of that funk!!

Had a weekend with my OH. It was... well, it was incredibly boring and I will need to speak to him about that because I don't want to spend a weekend out of every month bored out of my mind for the cost of £40 train fare, no matter how much I love him. It's not his fault, I'm not mad at him, but I might have to suggest we take up walking or something so I don't feel like all we do is sit in his living room watching telly!!

Having said that, it was lovely to be away from the stresses I've felt lately.

Update on that:

- I have an interview for the promosh, at 09:30 next Monday.
    - I actually got paid a little more than I expected from the charity this month, so I've been able to pay a little bit more off my credit card :)
    - I have also decided that I need to Do More Fun Things so I've booked a show and a night in Newcastle with my best friend in November, which is something to look forward to. It's cost me £80 and I could have put that to the credit card, but I decided not to because I hate having a boring life. i'm 27 for goodness' sake.
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• JWPopps
    Options
    Sometimes something happens that just totally puts everything in perspective, doesn't it?

My lovely friends, who are truly the most loving and in-love couple you could possibly imagine, have just had the devastating news that the husband's residence card application has been refused by the Home Office. The really annoying thing is that it's quite obviously a case of sloppy casework, and they are going to appeal it and it will be overturned, but in the meantime that will cost them thousands of pounds they don't have, and can take up to 12 months which is another 12 months of stress for them.

They've set up a GoFundMe, which I've given my savings into and I've told them that as and when they need it I will try to give them my extra money from the charity as well. They don't deserve this horrible situation, they really don't.

• Seasidegal58
    Options
    Hi JW. I've just caught up with your diary and am so sorry to read about your poor friends' predicament. How awful for them - they sound such a nice couple - when I read in the newspapers about these pimps and gangsters that seem to slide into the UK quite easily and never appear to get deported it makes my blood boil! :mad: What a generous, generous girl you are. You could post a link to their fund on here but not sure if that would compromise your anonymity or whether it would breach MSE site rules.

And your woes with the troublesome boy after you opened up your home to him! :eek:
    Anyway I do hope things turn out well for your mum after all her ups and downs.

Good on you though for organising your girlie night out. Time away from the boring boyfriend may be just what you need!:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • JWPopps
    Options
    Hi SSG, thank you!

I feel weird being called generous about this, mainly because I know for a fact that if the shoe was on the other foot they'd be doing exactly this to help me out if I needed it. They're honestly truly wonderful people, and the fact that in a few short days they've nearly hit their funding goal from friends and family is testament to how many people love them - so we don't need to worry about a MSE link :)

The break-in is truly handled and dealt with, and I am meeting my potential new lodger tonight, a young lady I will call B if I talk about her here. She should be a really good candidate, she had a part time job and she's at college, she's just had a rough start in life. If all goes well the plan is I'll have her for 2 years, or until she feels ready to live on her own.

My mum is going on holiday next week, which I think she thoroughly deserves, and then the week she gets back she has THREE job interviews so all my fingers and toes are crossed!!

• JWPopps
    Options
    Oh, also -

I got the promotion. I feel better about it now than I did, because I know the management team are confident in my abilities. It's only temporary anyway so it's a good chance to try out a senior role and see how I get on. I'm confident I can be successful doing it, but it will be interesting for me to find out if I *want* the extra responsibility, or if (as I suspect) I'm happier in my current role with the headspace to do my charity work as well.

Anyway, don't start that until beginning of November, so in the meantime I can crack on and get my first assignment submitted!!

• jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Popps

I'm so sorry about your friends. As you know we have gone through visas and will be applying for citizenship in 18 months living with the full knowledge that they could completely change the rules on us between now and then. Are your friends doing the forms themselves or with a solicitors help? We use a not for profit solicitor and she is worth every single penny to get around the ridiculous rules they don't even seem to tell you about... if it would be any help I can pass on the details.
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • JWPopps
    Options
    jvr wrote: »
    Hi Popps

I'm so sorry about your friends. As you know we have gone through visas and will be applying for citizenship in 18 months living with the full knowledge that they could completely change the rules on us between now and then. Are your friends doing the forms themselves or with a solicitors help? We use a not for profit solicitor and she is worth every single penny to get around the ridiculous rules they don't even seem to tell you about... if it would be any help I can pass on the details.

Hi JVR,

They are urgently trying to get a solicitor's help because obviously on the appeal form it asks for legal basis for making the appeal and they just don't know the right language to use. If you did have a recommendation to pass on that would be incredible!!

• jvr
    First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.ilac.org.uk/ the lady who helped us was Madeleine Anderson. Absolute lifesaver and it was all not for profit, she gave us so much advice before we paid for anything and that was just a one off fee for preparing the visa etc.....Cannot recommend them enough
  • jvr
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Also I know she deals with ALOT of appeals for people! Fingers crossed for your friends its a horrible horrible system
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills