Asbestos garage roof

2»

Comments

• andrewf75 wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't worry. Garages are always dusty. As long as the roof sheets aren't cracking (as mine is) there is no reason to think asbestos fibres are being released. The advice is that these roofs are safe unless the material is disturbed in any way.
    If you are still concerned, pay for a test. You can do it cheaply if you can send away a small sample. But if in your case that would involve breaking a perfectly intact roof then you would have to get a tester round which would obviously cost more.

(Disclaimer: I'm no expert, but recently sought advice myself on this and did a lot of research.)

The roof looks in good good condtion except one bit outside on the edge that's broke off before i moved here.

Is your roof asbestos and does it look mine in the pictures?
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The roof looks in good good condtion except one bit outside on the edge that's broke off before i moved here.

Is your roof asbestos and does it look mine in the pictures?

Mine looks pretty much the same, but is cracking so much that you can see daylight. I got it tested for £40 and it contained no asbestos.

If you have a broken edge you can just break off a bit and send it away for testing if you want to make sure for peace of mind, but I only did so because mine was falling apart, I wouldn't bother in your case.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As stated above, My garage gets dusty, and we have a tiled roof. I wouldn't worry about it being asbestos. Anyway, if the roofing sheets do contain asbestos material, it'll only be around 10-20% asbestos anyway and poses very little threat if kept undisturbed
  • anto164 wrote: »
    As stated above, My garage gets dusty, and we have a tiled roof. I wouldn't worry about it being asbestos. Anyway, if the roofing sheets do contain asbestos material, it'll only be around 10-20% asbestos anyway and poses very little threat if kept undisturbed

Ok thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport