Asbestos garage roof

Hi i rent an house that as a grey Asbestos corrugated garage roof so hardly use it my stuffs been packed for years in there :( but started putting my motorcycle in there and everytime i get it out the bike as dust all over it which must be from the roof ? does this mean the roof must be degrading and dangerous

Comments

• andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I doubt the dust will be asbestos fibres unless the roof is literally falling apart.
  • andrewf75 wrote: »
    I doubt the dust will be asbestos fibres unless the roof is literally falling apart.

Well that's what i think must i can't see where else it can be coming from ? it's got to be falling down to land my the top of my bike.
  • andrewf75
    If you can get hold of a square cm piece of the roof you can get it tested for 40 quid and find out if it contains asbestos
    But from what I've read when researching recently, the stuff in corrugated roof panels is unlikely to be harmful unless you saw and drill it, and I don't think the fibres are going to be falling out of the roof unless the panels are seriously degraded.
  • All the stuff in my garage gets covered in dust and I have a metal corrugated roof.
    Could it be dust from the floor etc, and dust blown in when it's windy?
  • andrewf75 wrote: »
    If you can get hold of a square cm piece of the roof you can get it tested for 40 quid and find out if it contains asbestos
    But from what I've read when researching recently, the stuff in corrugated roof panels is unlikely to be harmful unless you saw and drill it, and I don't think the fibres are going to be falling out of the roof unless the panels are seriously degraded.

Here are some pictures of my roof

2jb7gcg.jpg

ifbrsz.jpg

15oufwz.jpg
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Could it be from a concrete floor, our kicks up a fair bit of dust I keep meaning to seal it and will get to it one day.
  • tori.k wrote: »
    Could it be from a concrete floor, our kicks up a fair bit of dust I keep meaning to seal it and will get to it one day.

Could be yes, just wish i knew not unpacked my boxes for over 8 years :( would love to use the garage to work on my bike and stuff.

It's worries me more because i have Emphysema and don't want to risk making progress faster
  • tori.k wrote: »

Tonight i was in the garage and moving something in the roof and it fell over and made a big bang, i thought there will be loads of dust off this now because it's there ages but could not see any so starting to think it's not the roof now and just from the conctrete blocks and floor.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Here are some pictures of my roof

Asbestos or maybe Fibre Cement?
  • andrewf75
    edited 7 September 2017 at 10:15AM
    Tonight i was in the garage and moving something in the roof and it fell over and made a big bang, i thought there will be loads of dust off this now because it's there ages but could not see any so starting to think it's not the roof now and just from the conctrete blocks and floor.

I honestly wouldn't worry. Garages are always dusty. As long as the roof sheets aren't cracking (as mine is) there is no reason to think asbestos fibres are being released. The advice is that these roofs are safe unless the material is disturbed in any way.
    If you are still concerned, pay for a test. You can do it cheaply if you can send away a small sample. But if in your case that would involve breaking a perfectly intact roof then you would have to get a tester round which would obviously cost more.

(Disclaimer: I'm no expert, but recently sought advice myself on this and did a lot of research.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure