Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• Lumanous
    Lumanous Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 April 2017 at 4:35PM
    Options
    That was the other thing at the back of my mind ... I'm sure there are loads of people that have bought the sets at £110 and then ended up throwing them away / giving to charity or putting on Gumtree, Freecycle etc. I will have to keep an eye out!

I've pretty much got a whole gym by finding things this way...freecycle, ebay (remember you can sort by price to cut out the expensive and you can see what's local - especially helpful for heavy fitness equipment...), shpock - lots of my pieces were 99p or £1 (obv paid more for some). Then years later I just sell on or pass as freebie to others.

Definitely recommend, you do just have to look every now and then as people can list at any time and some of it is luck of the draw as to what is around at the time :) I just have to try not to get too carried away...

I even got a free treadmill (slightly damaged but still worked fine) because someone couldn't be bothered to take it to the tip. I then passed it on to someone who could not stand but needed a treadmill they could use seated whilst in recovery :)
    :A
    No, my username is not a typo :tongue:
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Lumanous wrote: »
    I've pretty much got a whole gym by finding things this way...freecycle, ebay (remember you can sort by price to cut out the expensive and you can see what's local - especially helpful for heavy fitness equipment...), shpock - lots of my pieces were 99p or £1 (obv paid more for some). Then years later I just sell on or pass as freebie to others.

Definitely recommend, you do just have to look every now and then as people can list at any time and some of it is luck of the draw as to what is around at the time :) I just have to try not to get too carried away...

I even got a free treadmill (slightly damaged but still worked fine) because someone couldn't be bothered to take it to the tip. I then passed it on to someone who could not stand but needed a treadmill they could use seated whilst in recovery :)

Thank you for this info! I will definitely use that strategy to search on ebay and will add shpock to my list of sites to check :) My dad has been talking about buying an exercise bike (he's got a problem with his ankle which means he can't stand for long, his physio recommended an exercise bike) - I'll tell him to have a look too.
  • Lumanous
    Lumanous Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for this info! I will definitely use that strategy to search on ebay and will add shpock to my list of sites to check :) My dad has been talking about buying an exercise bike (he's got a problem with his ankle which means he can't stand for long, his physio recommended an exercise bike) - I'll tell him to have a look too.

Just a thought on this one - not sure what would be better for your dad but you can get home recumbent exercise bikes too (the ones where you are more sat back in more of a chair rather than upright above the pedals). I got a good combo recumbent bike / rower years ago (2nd hand), they are more bulky but I specifically got the sit-back type because of joint injuries ( I know it depends on the type of injury but just in case). Might be worth him considering if that would be beneficial to him :) they are out there just a bit harder to find
    :A
    No, my username is not a typo :tongue:
  • ada-or-ardor
    Options
    Also for exercise equipment keep an eye out for L1dl and Ald1, L1dl were selling kettle bells for 7.99 the other week! They are really good for exercise stuff! (Kettle bells a great workout but I'd recommend a class or two first before branching out on your own, to learn some moves and safety - they can be pretty brutal!)

Huge well done on paying off so much - a lot of it might be thanks to a bonus but a) think of all the interest you are saving and b) the old you might have spent almost all of that on nothing!!! You paid debt off with it which shows your commitment, so you should be very proud :-)

Ada
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Lumanous wrote: »
    Just a thought on this one - not sure what would be better for your dad but you can get home recumbent exercise bikes too (the ones where you are more sat back in more of a chair rather than upright above the pedals). I got a good combo recumbent bike / rower years ago (2nd hand), they are more bulky but I specifically got the sit-back type because of joint injuries ( I know it depends on the type of injury but just in case). Might be worth him considering if that would be beneficial to him :) they are out there just a bit harder to find

That is a really great idea, I think he would be more comfortable on a recumbent exercise bike :)
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Also for exercise equipment keep an eye out for L1dl and Ald1, L1dl were selling kettle bells for 7.99 the other week! They are really good for exercise stuff! (Kettle bells a great workout but I'd recommend a class or two first before branching out on your own, to learn some moves and safety - they can be pretty brutal!)

Huge well done on paying off so much - a lot of it might be thanks to a bonus but a) think of all the interest you are saving and b) the old you might have spent almost all of that on nothing!!! You paid debt off with it which shows your commitment, so you should be very proud :-)

Ada

Thank you so much! I keep thinking back to past habits and marvelling at how far I've come. I think a lot of this is to do with the number of times I look at my debt spreadsheet every day, it is a lot harder to indulge myself in reckless spending when I have such a clear idea of exactly how much debt I am in - right down to the last penny!
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    I "found" three more things to list on ebay yesterday and I sold two of them within a few hours so I'm really chuffed! I have paid another £40.66 off my MBNA debt. I'm revising my aim for May, I want to get that first MBNA tranche under £200 (currently £298.57).

Also had a chat to my husband about a hotel we booked for 2 nights for an event later this year, after much discussion we decided that we would just go to the event on the day and not spend the weekend there. It would have cost us a lot of money (over half the cost of our Morocco holiday!) and frankly, we'd both rather save that money. I cancelled the booking yesterday and received the deposit refund back on my Barclaycard today. That means the most expensive tranche of Barclaycard debt is now at £103.56 and will definitely be gone with the May direct debit payment :j

I'm going to hold off updating my April debt totals until the end of this month just in case I get another ebay sale. I do have a handbag to list so fingers crossed!
  • What on earth are you selling on eBay??? ;-)
    MBNA (Was £2000), Now £2, 900 (Expected date Dec/2020)
    CAR (Was £300) Now
    £2, 000 (Interest free loan from family member)

**Want to be on my way to being debt free for 42**
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    What on earth are you selling on eBay??? ;-)

Clothes mainly! Plus a few pairs of shoes; some unused cosmetics/skincare bits that I received for Christmas but won't get round to using :) and a bunch of cookbooks.
  • Lau0707
    Lau0707 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    I sweep daily, sometimes if theres 61.58 for example, i will sweep the £1.58 over too ;) I've done it for years and love doing it !! Definitely worth it! I love following your journey x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback