Receipts when working away

In January this year a colleague and I were working away, and we happened to forget to get a receipt for £50 worth of fuel. Recently, one of the bosses initially asked for the receipt saying I must have it, even though I had told them several times that we didn't. Then they said that 'under the circumstances please can you arrange to give me the missing £50'. I took this as an accusation of theft. Basically, I was wondering where I stood, on a legal perspective?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    To avoid repetition in future get a fuel card from them.

I trust they pay a mileage allowance that recognises your benefit to them.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You must provide receipts, simple. It's a requirement in case of HMRC audit.
  • I understand that I need to get receipts but, is it wrong of them to ask me to give them the money back out of my own pocket when we fail to get a receipt? I think if this was the case not many people would work away.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It is not wrong for them to ask, you do not have relevant proof of purchase. And many people work away from home and have to provide receipts, me being one. I bet you don't forget receipt again.
  • I won't forget the receipt again because I won't be working away again and I have no intention of giving them £50.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Alico wrote: »
    I understand that I need to get receipts but, is it wrong of them to ask me to give them the money back out of my own pocket when we fail to get a receipt? I think if this was the case not many people would work away.

They have no proof that you spent the money. It's standard policy in most businesses that if you have no receipt you don't get paid.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    To clarify, are you saying that initially the £50 expenses were paid before a receipt was produced, and now the company is saying they want the money back because you failed to produce a receipt when requested? If that's the case then they are perfectly entitled to claim it back. Their possible mistake is to have paid it before you produced the receipt.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I won't forget the receipt again because I won't be working away again and I have no intention of giving them £50.

I hope you enjoyed your job, or have been there over 2 years. I don't see much of a future for you at that company.
  • I haven't enjoyed my job and I've been there 13 years. I also don't see a future at this company. The issue I have is that this has happened before, from other employees and myself and its never been a problem, I guess it's down to trust. The accounts people have all left and it's down to people that don't want to do it. Thanks for the help, I guess I'll have to do a moonlight flit!
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    I haven't enjoyed my job and I've been there 13 years. I also don't see a future at this company. The issue I have is that this has happened before, from other employees and myself and its never been a problem, I guess it's down to trust. The accounts people have all left and it's down to people that don't want to do it. Thanks for the help, I guess I'll have to do a moonlight flit!

It is not a trust issue, it is an audit requirement. Perhaps they have been penalised in the past for a lack of due diligence, and they're making sure it does not happen again.

They can still pursue you for the overpayment after you have left.

You need to stop taking this so personally. If you want to leave then start looking for another job, but don't assume that gets you out of paying. Also keep in mind that you will need a reference from them for future employers, burning bridges would be a very bad idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure