HB does it cover service charge in sheltered housing?

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nannytone wrote: »
    an assured shorthold tenancy in social housing will be renewed as lomng as the tenant isn't in breech of their tenancy agreement and still meets the criteria for renting the property.

so compared to a private rental, is still a very secure way of renting.

you can be forced out of a private rental after the tenancy period with no reason at all

Surely as long as the tenancy is an "assured tenancy" then the fact that it a private rental or social housing would make no difference to the actual security of tenure as an assured tenancy is effectively "for life" ?
  • Gpod
    Gpod Posts: 27 Forumite
    squiggles wrote: »
    Does your local council have a web site explaining what's included in the service charges? I've had a look on the shelter web site and things like lift repairs are included but others like care alarms are not.

I don't know if this new rule will be implemented in the future but there's media reports of pensioners being included for what is commonly known as the bedroom tax.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bedroom-tax-pensioners-social-housing-housing-crisis-council-houses-a7340136.html?amp

Under these new rules, if all of the service charges in the OP are deemed to be included in a housing benefit payment, the tenant will be liable for a rent shortfall of £29.40 per week from April 2018.
  • I live in sheltered housing.

I get HB which covers most, but not all of my rent. I get no help towards the service charge.

Perhaps you could talk to the warden/site manager? They will know what is/is not covered by HB.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,945
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    boliston wrote: »
    Surely as long as the tenancy is an "assured tenancy" then the fact that it a private rental or social housing would make no difference to the actual security of tenure as an assured tenancy is effectively "for life" ?
    of course it makes a difference.

a social housing landlord is not looking for profits and to maximise their rental income.

unless you break the rules of the tenancy, you tenancy is secure.

renting privately, usually from an individual, you are at the mercy of any changes in their own personal circumstances.

you can be evicted at the end of your tenancy term for no reason at all other than the agreement period has ended
  • boliston
    Forumite
    of course it makes a difference.

a social housing landlord is not looking for profits and to maximise their rental income.

unless you break the rules of the tenancy, you tenancy is secure.

renting privately, usually from an individual, you are at the mercy of any changes in their own personal circumstances.

you can be evicted at the end of your tenancy term for no reason at all other than the agreement period has ended

I am talking about an "assured tenancy" which has NO fixed term - this essentially means the tenant has security of tenure FOR LIFE regardless of who the landlord might be (private or social housing)
  • nannytone_2
    Forumite
    I am talking about an "assured tenancy" which has NO fixed term - this essentially means the tenant has security of tenure FOR LIFE regardless of who the landlord might be (private or social housing)

ive never heard of a secure 'for life' tenancy in the private sector.
    if there are any, they will be as rare as hens teeth
  • boliston
    Forumite
    ive never heard of a secure 'for life' tenancy in the private sector.
    if there are any, they will be as rare as hens teeth

Not so common but they are available, however if I was a property investor I would like the extra rent that an AT can command compared with an AST - you are looking at a 10-15% uplift for the extra lifetime security.
  • nannytone_2
    Forumite
    Not so common but they are available, however if I was a property investor I would like the extra rent that an AT can command compared with an AST - you are looking at a 10-15% uplift for the extra lifetime security.

this thread is about housing benefit.

considering LHA only covers the lowest third of the private rental sector, where do you think people will get the extra money necessary for this 'secure' tenancy?

where i live, there are NO 1 bed properties for private let that fall within the LHA rates ( being between 20 and 40 £ a week more) then another £15 or £20 a week on top of that for a little security?

they may as well be asking for hundreds
  • boliston
    Forumite
    this thread is about housing benefit.

considering LHA only covers the lowest third of the private rental sector, where do you think people will get the extra money necessary for this 'secure' tenancy?

where i live, there are NO 1 bed properties for private let that fall within the LHA rates ( being between 20 and 40 £ a week more) then another £15 or £20 a week on top of that for a little security?

they may as well be asking for hundreds

I can't see anything wrong with a tenant having to make a modest contribution towards their rent as long as it's within their budget.
  • nannytone_2
    Forumite
    I can't see anything wrong with a tenant having to make a modest contribution towards their rent as long as it's within their budget.
    lets take my example.
    LHA 1 bed rate £81
    cjeapest 1 bed private let £100
    most expensive 1 bed private let £120.

add a premium of 10% for 'security' £110 - £132.

LHA shortfall £29 - £41 a week.

JSA £73
    ESA 109

nit such a 'modest' top up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business