Curriculm info and extra work for your kids questions

Comments

• Had you thought about asking the class teacher for suggestions as to how to help your son?
  • I would suggest getting your child to read to you. By the time a child has reached Y3, most don't read regularly to an adult. There is more to reading than just being able to say the words. There is inference and the ability to make plausible predicts. You can also discuss the author's use of language.
    Additionally, you could under take extra research about the topics he is learning at school. There are lots of really easy and fun science experiements that can be undertaken at home too.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 September 2016 at 8:34PM
    Listen to him read everyday, and read to him everyday to model fluency. Ask him how the characters are feeling - how does he know? What might happen next - why do you think that? What is another words for X?

Teach him to use a dictionary and make sure he really knows his alphabet!

Recite, and help him learn, times tables - concentrate on one a week and he'll know them in no time.

Bake and have him read the scales. Measure liquid.

Ensure he can 'see' number bonds to 10 to help him with quick addition and subtraction.

Insist he holds his pencil correctly!

Teach him to tell the time.

Refer to, and divide things into, simple fractions - 1/2, 1/4, 3/4 and 1/3 - many children struggle with the concept of fractions.

Hope this helps: I teach primary.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Top_Girl
    Top_Girl Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Watch Countdown with them. Learning and loving to play around with letters and numbers engages you both. My now 11 and a half year old loves it, especially if he 'beats' me ;)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Reading, reading, reading and more reading. Foster a love of books, both fiction and non-fiction. Talk about what you're reading together.

Visit castles and other places of interest. Sneak some maths and science into activities, too.

But - nothing labelled 'extra work'! That'll be guaranteed to put him off.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • The only reason for extra work at this age would be if you answered yes to the below.
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    do you have concerns about how he is getting on at school?

Other than that, at this age without concerns you risk maybe an opposite effect of education being a chore.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • The only reason for extra work at this age would be if you answered yes to the below.

Other than that, at this age without concerns you risk maybe an opposite effect of education being a chore.

Most of the things people have suggested are normal parenting activities rather than extra work.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd agree that enrichment activities are good to help build up general knowledge and vocabulary. Most importantly talk to him and listen to him. Encourage him to express his opinions and express his reasons for things. That's something that's difficult at school with large classes. If you do that and encourage reading both together and listening to him reading aloud then you'll be doing things the school can't easily offer.

Encourage hobbies and interests particularly involving other children. Teach him to swim and ride a bike if he can't already do so.

After that I'd talk to his teacher and find out if there's any particular area that he needs extra support with and ask how best to help him. Many schools also tell parents what the current theme is for the half term so you could plan visits to museums or parks or other places of interest to back this up. If your school doesn't do this then ask.
  • clw1
    clw1 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We aimed to do about 20 - 30 mins homework 5 times a week with our year 3 child which was the amount advised by the school. We did either the homework set by the school (spelling, maths & SPAG) or used Bond books for Maths and English. Personally we liked the books as there was a mix of questions etc (they are available in WH Smiths, amazon etc).

We also played games with him on the tablet for times tables - Math Duel, squeebles times tables, quick math and daydream multiplication were some that the school suggested.

And we also read with him each evening as part of bedtime.
  • Why do you want to give him extra work?

Bear once explained a maths concept to a teacher in Yr 2. He hadn't been taught it in school, I didn't teach him (still can't understand it myself) but he had grasped it and understood the underlying principles. As far as I can tell it is a basic maths concept but he had learned it by himself without outside aid by watching YouTube. Don't write screen time off.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure