How Did You Afford/Pay for Your/Your Daughter's Wedding?

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thank you for your replies. So basically its a bit old fashioned for the parents to pay. That's a relief. I am going to start paying though to contribute something.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    Thanks. I didn't even know there was a wedding thread. I will have a look.

Its a sub board of "special occaisions ans celebrations"....
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    We paid for our wedding ourselves; we would never have expected either set of parents to contribute financially at all.

I don't like the reasons behind the tradition of the brides family paying for it all either.

cel x
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • mirrorimage0
    mirrorimage0 Posts: 3,918 Forumite
    we got married almost 3 yrs ago and we had every intention we were paying for things ourselves, but my parents insisted on paying for the bridal car as i wasnt bothered about having one, was gonna have a couple of friends with their black taxis done up. and hubbys parents paid towards the mens suits (becuase they wanted all the brothers etc as ushers were as we would of been quite happy with just the groom, best man and two dads in the same suits.

my dress i bought at auction, i think the original label was something just over £3000 and i paid £120, and favours, flowers, order of service etc etc i did myself and wirtht he help of mum and friends
    now proud mum to 3 handsome boys :j latest one born 10/10/11:j
  • tesuhoha
    Thank you everyone. Can I just point out that she doesn't expect anything and hasn't even mentioned getting married apart from an 'I don't want to be single all my life' comment. Its just me thinking of that eventuality or of her suddenly announcing they want to get married in a couple of months! I want to plan ahead.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• tesuhoha
    There are some great ideas here. I remember once we were talking about it and she said big weddings were a waste of money so she won't want one.

• Kimberley82
    Kimberley82 Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    My parents paid for my wedding apart from the evening do that my inlaws paid for, they only thing we paid for was the rings.
    Shut up woman get on my horse!!!
  • Magicboo
    Magicboo Posts: 803 Forumite
    my parents paid for the majority of our wedding, when we told them we didn't expect them to pay for anything, they told us they would be very upset if they didn't pay for their daughters wedding. However they did get a little offended that DH's parents didn't offer to pay for anything.
    We contributed by paying for bits like the wine and anything relating to DH and Best man (as we really couldn't get our heads round my parents paying for suits for 2 chaps they're not particularly close to) etc..and I also spent ALOT of time making everything as MSE as we could.
    I'd definately recommend the Wedding board on here, it gave me SO many ideas!
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    We paid for our own wedding last September, we are both working and wanted to make it the day we wanted, not the day anyone contributing thought we should have.

I have two sons (not DH's) and if they decide to marry we have an Isa which will be split between them and their father can also contribute. However, if we need to undertake any urgent repairs to our home, roof for example, they will come out of the emergency/wedding pot first.
  • marywooyeah
    marywooyeah Posts: 2,656 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got married on saturday and we paid for everything ourselves, not a single penny from anyone else.
    We (I) spent a lot of time trawling through preloved.com and ebay for things, got y bridesmaid dresses of there, my veil (£8) and our wedding favours. we found a lady who makes cakes in her spare time, she did us a 3 tier wedding cake and 30 cupcakes for £70! if you shop about you can get better value for your money, not everything has to cost the earth!
    It may be a good idea to set up a bank account and give her a wad of cash down the line, or when the time comes and she gets engaged follow tips above and others from the weddings board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure