Widows entitlement to state pension

Hi guys

Sadly, my father died on Christmas Day 2007 aged 63. He therefore was never able to collect his state pension althought he had a full record of contributions
My mother is 61 and has been in receipt of a partial state pension since she was 60.

I have received the DWP booklet "what to do when someone dies" from the hospital but it is unclear on what if anything someone in my mothers position is entitled to. when I registered the death I was given a form to complete with an envelope to return to the Pensions Agency (?) in Cardiff but have heard nothing back as yet.

my father was under the impression that my mothers state pension would be "made up" to the full amount on his death and that she would receive £2000 Bereavement Payment, but I am not sure if this is correct. can anyone advise?

thanks

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    clairehi wrote: »
    my father was under the impression that my mothers state pension would be "made up" to the full amount on his death and that she would receive £2000 Bereavement Payment, but I am not sure if this is correct. can anyone advise?

thanks

Sorry to hear about your loss.

It seems that your father was correct and your mother should now receive a pension based on your father's contributions. Exactly how much would depend on thos contributions and may well be the full amount. It looks likely that she is also entitled to the £2000 Bereavement Payment as he was not in receipt of his state pension when he died.

See P77 of this guide where it explains in more detail;

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/pdf/np46/np46apr05.pdf
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi claire I am really sorry to hear about of your Father's Passing.

My Dad also died at 63 with my mother being 61. Mum's pension was increaed to a widows pension, she also received the £2000. I am pretty sure it was all triggered once we sent the form you mention off. With it being the holiday period I guess it may take a little longer but the back pay will be issued along with a notification of the figure from then on. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any help as I have kept most of the paperwork involved.

Best Wishes

Dusty x
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    thank you all. I had to refer to p 77 of the 120 page long NP46 form to confirm that my mum should get a pension increase to the value of my dad's state pension entitlement. Could they not make these things a bit clearer?

I believe the form I received from the registrar was the BD8 Certificate of Registration of Death, which should, accordingly to NP46 act as an application for the pension increase. This is a simple 2 sided A4 form. Job done

However in order to get the £2K bereavement payment (which will just about cover last month's gin bill....) Mum needs to complete another 20 page form, BB1, and send it to the JobCentre Plus office with original birth, marriage and death certificates. Or (rather than risk having her identity stolen by Royal Mail), she can take it in person to the local Job Centre Plus and (presumably) queue up along with all the dole claimants to be seen. Great - that should probably just about finish her off as well.
  • Elcee
    Elcee Posts: 7 Forumite
    I am recently widowed aged 62 and receiving a partial state pension in my own right, my husband was 60 when he died in November 07 having a full record of contributions, I am not sure what I am entitled to and can anyone tell me to qualify for any additional pension, is it means tested?
  • I'm sorry to hear of your bereavement Elcee.

I think you can claim a full pension from your late husband's contributions . State Pension is not means-tested.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Hi - I need some advice, but it is a bit complicated and I must admit I struggle to understand the whole pension area! But here goes... Here is the background: My father died suddenly in 2002 at the age of 58. He had been paying into a private pension fund (Unilever) and a representative for the fund came to see my mother at the time (age 58) - informing her that she could claim his pension and, being in full time education at the time, I started receiving an allowance (which stopped when I finished uni in 2004). My mother reached retirement age and started to claim my father's Unilever pension and a state pension (she had worked for a proportion of her life). I seem to recall at the time the pension representative came to see my mother, she said that my mother would be entitled to both pensions. My mother has never felt comfortable with this. She thinks that she is not entitled to both and that she is receiving too much, which is causing her a great deal of anxiety. Despite assuring her everything is OK - and even contacting the DWP and Unilever on her behalf (she does not understand everything to do with the pensions and struggles on the phone) to confirm it at least twice before - she is still extremely worried that she will have to pay it back and with interest. I guess what I am wanting is some confirmation that it is possible to receive both a private and state pension and if anyone else has been in this situation? How can I assure her everything is OK? I am assuming if it wasn't - it has been brought to the DWP/Unilever's attention via query, so they would have said so? She does not accept this argument however. Help! Thanks
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It's perfectly normal to receive a state pension based on her own contributions via NI and a occupational pension based on her husbands contribtions to a private (Unilever ) scheme

Otherwise no-one would contribute to occupactional schemes.

Does she have any friends in a similar situation that she could seek confirmation and make her feel more comfortable.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Uluru wrote: »
    My mother reached retirement age and started to claim my father's Unilever pension and a state pension (she had worked for a proportion of her life).

I suggest you contact the Pension Service to check on this.If she does not receive the full basic state pension in her own right, she may be better claiming on the basis of her late husband's contributions, as she would now, as a widow, receive 100% of his pension, plus 50% of any SERPS/S2P he was due.

https://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk

Is she paying the correct amount of tax? Both state and private pensions are taxable.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    If you're widowed before retirement age there is usually a form of 'pension' based on late husband's contributions.

Once you reach retirement age you have 2 options: EITHER (1) claim retirement pension based on your own contributions OR (2) claim retirement pension based on late husband's contributions, whichever is most favourable.

This happened to me in 1992. I was widowed age 56, late husband was 58, and because he hadn't yet become eligible for retirement pension, I was paid £1000 'bereavement payment' (it's now £2000).
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport