The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I haven't been on this board for ages as I haven't had any great finds as far as clothing is concerned, however today I bought a brand new Joules dress (which I had my eye on in the Joules sale but it never dropped below £30- odd).

The price? £7.50 (because it had a slight mark on it).

It's been washed and dried and come up absolutely perfect.

I'm thrilled!
  • Yesterday at local BHF: a Monsoon cardigan, a bit bobbly, priced at £8.75.
    It stayed at BHF!
    Normal people worry me.
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    KitKatMum2 wrote: »
    I just mentioned this on another thread but I got my toddler daughter a lovely dress yesterday. Peachy colour with sequins and very 'princessy'. It's only from Peacocks, so probably didn't cost a lot in the first place, but I'm pleased with it. It was £2.59 in Barnados. I hate spending money on party or 'occasion' dresses for kids, they only get worn a few times, usually for a few hours and they tend to be expensive brand new.

Bought many Monsoon and John Lewis dresses for my goddaughters from charity shops over the years and I've lost count of how many posts about DsS's suits I've made.

He'll need new for our next event in February, he's grown a lot recently and having turned ten last month he's now wearing age 13 clothes and up to his dad's shoulder (and he's 6ft!). Best start keeping my eyes peeled!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Meant to post in here, a couple of weeks ago, I went into my local Scope, and picked up a hardback copy of Going Postal for £2, I'd seen it there the week previously and umm and ahhed about it, as the dust jacket is a bit damaged. But I decided if I saw it there again, I'd pick it up, and it was still there a week later, so I bought it. I also picked up a brand new (well unused) looking Madhur Jaffrey Indian cooking book in paperback for a £1.

Then yesterday, I went to Scope again, and noticed they'd reduced their DVDs from £2 to £1, don't know whether this is a change in policy or just a sale!, but I picked up Peter Kay - Live at Manchester, Milk and The Bling Ring on DVD for a £1 each.
  • Lucy5781 wrote: »
    Bought many Monsoon and John Lewis dresses for my goddaughters from charity shops over the years and I've lost count of how many posts about DsS's suits I've made.
    I've also had a few Monsoon, John Lewis and Ted Baker bits for the kids over the years. I don't think I could bring myself to pay whatever they cost originally even if I could afford it! I don't recall ever having seen kids suits in a CS, but they're another thing I wouldn't want to pay full price for, so I imagine I'd be looking there should DS ever be in need of one!

Today's finds, 2 Julia Donaldson books for the kids, 50p each and a Next shirt for DS costing 99p. All from the Red Cross shop :money:
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    KitKatMum2 wrote: »
    I've also had a few Monsoon, John Lewis and Ted Baker bits for the kids over the years. I don't think I could bring myself to pay whatever they cost originally even if I could afford it! I don't recall ever having seen kids suits in a CS, but they're another thing I wouldn't want to pay full price for, so I imagine I'd be looking there should DS ever be in need of one!

Today's finds, 2 Julia Donaldson books for the kids, 50p each and a Next shirt for DS costing 99p. All from the Red Cross shop :money:

He's had one random generic that I'd not heard of, one lovely M&S one most recently and also a Matalan one, out of charity shops, pretty much one a year since I met him xx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    We dropped off some bits that belonged to my late mum today and whilst there I got a lovely cream pleated lampshade for £3.50 and a hardback Jamie Oliver comfort food book for £1. I'm delighted with the lampshade as I'm doing a budget makeover of my lounge and I needed a lampshade similar to another one I found at the cs a few weeks ago and I always love a bit of food !!!!!! which this book has in spades
  • Love all the charity and thrift shops. Every single one is worth visiting. :) I am saying this because I have recently lived outside the UK and could barely find a charity shop nearby. So I really do appreciate them a lot since I'm back.
    having fun saving on everything:j
  • Picked up a near perfect set of black crockery (only one plate missing) for £2.50.
    6 large drinking glasses for £2.

I've recently moved into my own place and intend to check the charity shops first, before buying anything new. I love them!
  • A bnwt Cambridge Satchel Company satchel for £11.99. For a Christmas gift.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport