Debt and depression

So I have now been off Prozac since early Feb having been on it for the best part of 10 years before that. I am certain that debt and depression have been closely linked in my case as I know must be true for many others. DH and I are just over half way through our DMP and have paid off a lot of debt. I have to say that I am struggling at the moment - more with anxiety than anything else. I panic randomly about money (as well as safety of family etc.) and have become almost OCD about my budget, sometimes waking up 5 or 6 times in the night to check my account (when I know full well what is in it). It is getting to the point where I am considering going back on the medication.
Has anyone out there tried coming off anti depressants after long term use? Should I give it a bit longer or start them up again now?
I don't want to give up trying if there is hope things can improve. I feel a lot more angry with myself about the debt I've racked up since coming off them and it's making me bitter, but maybe it is also opening my eyes wider. I don't know...just wondered if others have any advice on this.
DMP since August 2011
DFD January 2018 hopefully sooner :j
Debt at start: £98769:eek:
Debt now: £24993:o
Paid back: £73776 :j
Taking it one day at a time:T

Comments

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think debt affects the mind more than we think. I have regular dreams about being homeless with my son and living in sheds. I even looked at my shed once to see if I could be warm in there. It always starts when we head into autumn/winter.

Perhaps you need to speak to your doctor and see what they say

Well done on paying off half the debt. You're doing great and will be debt free one day.:)
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • so_very_confused
    so_very_confused Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 26 May 2015 at 7:16AM
    Hi Pheonixx
    Please go and talk to your GP.

Oddly I am the opposite I have just gone back onto Prozac after many years break and feel so much better.
    Ten years is a long time to be on medication but if it was working with few side effects then maybe it was not the right time, or there are more supportive therapys that your GP could signpost you to that would help you with relaxation and managing anxiety.
    Dealing with debt whatever the cause is hard work, particularly so when you are suffering from anxiety and depression. Take comfort that whatever blips you have had you are dealing with it.
    You have already made fantastic progress. I do think being on a DMP does create an almost ongoing anxiety, what if this or that breaks, what of I lose my job , the list is endless but they can only have what you can afford, no more. Although at times I forget this and end up a ball of anxiety with BP going thought the roof, heading for a stroke!

I can't give any answers I'm busy dealing with it myself, but I can sympathise and let you know you are not alone in what you are feeling.
    Take care:)
    svc
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • phoenixx
    phoenixx Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Pheonixx
    Please go and talk to your GP.

Oddly I am the opposite I have just gone back onto Prozac after many years break and feel so much better.
    Ten years is a long time to be on medication but if it was working with few side effects then maybe it was not the right time, or there are more supportive therapys that your GP could signpost you to that would help you with relaxation and managing anxiety.
    Dealing with debt whatever the cause is hard work, particularly so when you are suffering from anxiety and depression. Take comfort that whatever blips you have had you are dealing with it.
    You have already made fantastic progress. I do think being on a DMP does create an almost ongoing anxiety, what if this or that breaks, what of I lose my job , the list is endless but they can only have what you can afford, no more. Although at times I forget this and end up a ball of anxiety with BP going thought the roof, heading for a stroke!

I can't give any answers I'm busy dealing with it myself, but I can sympathise and let you know you are not alone in what you are feeling.
    Take care:)
    svc

Thanks so very confused - you are right of course. The DMP, although absolutely the right thing does bring its own fears. I hope you continue to cope with it so positively. It's good to be open and find you're not alone. Xx
    DMP since August 2011
  • phoenixx
    phoenixx Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think debt affects the mind more than we think. I have regular dreams about being homeless with my son and living in sheds. I even looked at my shed once to see if I could be warm in there. It always starts when we head into autumn/winter.

Perhaps you need to speak to your doctor and see what they say

Well done on paying off half the debt. You're doing great and will be debt free one day.:)

Thanks for the reply parsniphead. I will go to the GP tomorrow. I know exactly what you mean about the dreams. I have one where I am at the cash machine and it starts to laugh at me. Everyone in the queue watches and stares. It is very unsettling! X
    DMP since August 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income