Feeding kittens

Here I am again with another question! :o

Ive been reading up on what to feed our new kittens, but there is so much advice on the internet and I want to make sure we are doing the right thing.

We bought pets at home brand wet kitten food. They LOVE this, they go mad for it as soon as the pack is opened. They get half a pouch in the morning, half at 6pm when we get home from work and a little top up at night before bed.

We also have whiskas kitten dry food, which we leave down all day for grazing. One of them eats this during the day, the other doesnt really. But they dont go crazy for it like for the wet food.

The vet said we need to feed them only a 'complete' dry food as its good for their teeth. She gave some examples but they were the very expensive kinds. Now we dont mind spending money on them, but we want to make sure that we arent wasting it as they dont really seem to want the dry food. I throw most of it away in the morning when their bowls are cleaned. Is Whiskas dry kitten food and a pouch of wet food ok? They are a little underweight (we rescued them from an abandoned suitcase at the weekend if you didnt see the other thread) so I dont really want to stop feeding them what they love.

The whiskas box says feed 30g dry a day and one wet pouch, and the wet pouches say feed 2-3 pouches a day. Its all very contradictory.

Is a little bit of boneless cooked chicken ok as well? Its slow cooked whole with nothing added. Meant to be for my lunches but as they dont eat the kitten treats we bought them I thought it might help feed them up. If anyone wants 3 bags of unopened kitten nibbles let me know! Lesson learned, dont buy in bulk until you know they will eat it! ;)

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all your help and advice. Please dont judge me for being a useless pet owner, we are trying our best.

Comments

• themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    You're not useless! the wet cat foods are full of water so more needs to be fed, if the wet/dry mix works for them i don't see why you would want to change it. the kitten that doesnt eat the dry food through the day, is he getting enough food in general? and chicken is fine, when my mams cats were kittens they just had wet cat food and cat crunchies, and they're fine and healthy.
  • themull1 wrote: »
    You're not useless! the wet cat foods are full of water so more needs to be fed, if the wet/dry mix works for them i don't see why you would want to change it. the kitten that doesnt eat the dry food through the day, is he getting enough food in general? and chicken is fine, when my mams cats were kittens they just had wet cat food and cat crunchies, and they're fine and healthy.

Thank you so much, I just feel like Im still learning so much and I want to get it right for them.

The one that doesnt graze, Meg (didnt know it was a boy til too late!) no he doesnt really get enough. He just doesnt seem to want to eat much. We feed him seperately in the kitchen as the other Opie is like a heat seeking missle and checks both bowls once he has wolfed his down to see if he can get some more. Meg likes a quiet space to eat alone without his brother circling, but even then he will only pick at it. And he wont really eat the dry food, he loves the jelly on the wet but he wouldnt finish half a small pouch. He could be tempted with chicken though, so I was hoping thats ok.
  • When we had a kitten (before we had to rehome him due to my grumpy old man cat) we fed him go cat kitten with raw chicken thigh meat, lamb liver and beef heart. Pure meat is always way better than processed, heart is full of taurine which is great for cats, liver has so many things vital to your cats health. We did suppliment with dry food, different people have different views on this but for us, it worked well, Kian grew well and was a very happy, healthy kitten.

Hand feeding the raw food is good too, 1 because it is great bonding for you and your kittens and 2 because you can make sure your kittens are getting enough food. You can wear plastic gloves if raw meat gives you the ick factor. Do not cook the meat, it destroys a lot of the nutrition.

Hope that helps!
  • Wet food is often considered better (everyone will have their own views on this) due to the higher water content.

Dry is really a convenience to the owner ..... less mess & can be left down for a longer period without going off.

Personally I feed a combination of both - dry as I like something to be down all day (big cat is very skinny and a picky eater so does graze all day & wee cat would be quite happy with an all dry diet as isn't fussy about wet).

However, I like feeding wet as it gives me a chance to have close interaction when they're eating and I can get a good look at them to make sure there's no scratches etc that need to be looked at in more depth - it also makes giving medication a lot easier, when needed, as it's often possible to mix this with the wet.

If they're happy with wet, then feed them that ..... if they like dry to graze on as well, that's fine too.

You are not useless - you're a new and learning owner wanting to do the best for your new (and adorable!) babies .......

Personally I wouldn't feed say chicken on a regular basis - as if they get the taste for that, then it's likely you'll always need to feed it (cats are notoriously fussy!) and it's harder to get the right nutritional balance unless feeding "proper" pet food. Fine as a treat or when one is unwell, but not all the time. HTH
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Thank you all, I feel a bit better now. I think I'll keep feeding them the wet food and maybe try a different brand of dry food for leaving down all day once the whiskas is finished incase its that they dont like. I know to slowly mix it in not a sudden change.

Maybe I'll try feeding them more wet food for weight gain, as 1.5 a day might not be enough. I cant leave it down all day though as one just eats it all and the other would get none!

And the chicken is definitely a treat, i make it anyway for my lunches during the week so the odd scrap might find its way to them if they've been especially good :)
  • Tiggger
    Tiggger Posts: 116
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    And the chicken is definitely a treat, i make it anyway for my lunches during the week so the odd scrap might find its way to them if they've been especially good :)

Ahhh, it seems your training as a cat slave is going well!:)

My black and white "Felix" cat has been on pouches and dry food for about ten years now and is thriving well on it!

Good luck with the kitties, they really are cuties and were so lucky to find you.

Tiggger
  • Tiggger wrote: »
    Ahhh, it seems your training as a cat slave is going well!:)

:rotfl::rotfl:Yup!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Whiskas dry is not great quality at all....why not try Applaws or Encore which are at least grain free?
    Also...kittens should really be allowed to eat as much as they want, preferably split into multiple small meals...so crack open a few more pouches!
    Natures menu is available from PAH and is pretty high in meat, or look at tinned Bozita, Animonda carney or Gra from https://www.zooplus.co.uk for even better value.
  • As a cat breeder and having reared over 100 kittens there is some very good advice on this thread.

Yes grain free food is good as cat / kittens need protein. Raw meat is fine but be careful of feeding too much liver as it is a laxative. Stay clear of milk as so many cats / kittens are intolerant to it. Feedin cat milk is fine as a treat or milk product as the milk is processed, but not to much as often they can contain salt eg cheese or sugar eg yoghurt.

I always feed as much food as they will eat, but monitor what each kitten is eating to make sure they are all getting enough. Quality dried complete foods are good, but you don't need to throw them away if the kittens don't eat them after a day. Just put a small amount out, you will soon learn how much they eat, and then top up, as long as they food doesn't get soiled or wet. Obviously you need to put clean dry food into a new bowl regularly.

Look at places where you can buy quality food cheaply. The vets sell it but that is usually the most expensive place to buy it. Search on line or look at threads on this site. I use R&L Pet Products, Purrsonal Touch and NSPS. I feed raw minced wild rabbit as wet food which I buy from a local game dealer @ £1 a pound weight.or home steamed fish which I get from Sainsburys basic frozen range.:)
  • Wow, thanks so much guys.
    I didnt realise about Whiskas and grain content, it just seemed like a good brand name to go for! We really were in a rush as they arrived so quick we bought the first things we recognised. I will check out some of the recommendations for the dry food and try them out with that to see if they will eat more of it. I just dont know what is quality and what isnt obviously, time to research!
    We have been feeding them more pouches in the meantime and they are eating them up, they are starting to tell us when they are hungry by meowing by their bowls and following us round the house so thats good. They are definitely filling out, less bony on their spines. One still wont eat as much as the other but he is getting better.
    I put the dry food in with the wet, so when i clean the bowls every morning i throw out any old food. I have thrown away more than they have eaten of the whiskas! The vet gave us a sample of something in a white bag but they wont eat that either, tried it mixed in but they pick out the jelly and the meat and leave the rest alone.
    Otherwise they are happy, they love playing and fighting and stalking round like they own the place. We are house hunting at the moment, turned down an otherwise perfect one last night because its on a main road and wouldnt be good for our new babies!
    So yes, Im a cat slave to them already! But its only been a week and we wouldnt be without them :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure