RBS Cancelled Overdraft without notice

Im hoping someone can help me here as i really am worried about this. I logged into my internet banking today to see if i had been paid early, thankfully i had, but it looks like my overdraft had been removed. I called the telephone banking and asked about this and they informed me that i dont have an overdraft set up on my account and that i would have to speak to my branch.

Now the thing is, this is a massive shock and a big worry for me as i have been left with no money and have bills to pay. I didnt recieve any sort of correspondance regarding this and i am getting no answers from them

Any help would be really greatfull

Comments

• When was your overdraft renewal date?
    How is your general credit rating?

An overdraft like all other means of credit is not a right - the bank has the right in the case of an overdraft to demand repayment immediately.
    If they won't reinstate it you will have to try another bank to see if they will match your present overdraft.

From your posting it looks like you live in your overdraft - now may be the time to make an effort to cut down on spending and concentrate on reducing the debts.
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Call the branch and ask for it to be reapplied. You should have had a facility letter with a renewal date on if the overdraft had an expiry date on. Was it applied to your account in the last year?
  • branch should help you since tb cannot see the previous one probably
  • fogy101
    fogy101 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi all, Thanks for the replies.

I contacted my branch on Monday morning and asked about it. They have said that it was not them that had removed it and there was nothing on the system overdraft related. They said they would send a report to the lending dept for them to get in contact and have a look into this.

I just feel i am being messed about and now i am struggling as they have took my months wage plus extra in there and i have £0 now
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    fogy101 wrote: »
    Hi all, Thanks for the replies.

I contacted my branch on Monday morning and asked about it. They have said that it was not them that had removed it and there was nothing on the system overdraft related. They said they would send a report to the lending dept for them to get in contact and have a look into this.

I just feel i am being messed about and now i am struggling as they have took my months wage plus extra in there and i have £0 now

Im sure lending will look into the matter for you.

I would just bare in mind that overdrafts are repayable on demand for future reference.

I know it must be a shock to the system when things like this happen.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • fogy101
    I do understand that they are repayable on demand, but they are supposed to send me notice of this. This they have not done
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    OP did you place an expiry on the overdraft facility? If you are unsure they will be able to find out on their audit trails.
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• fogy101
    Ok finally found out what was problem. Was my own fault as i was struggling with the charges for going over each month and didnt keep up they took it off me. Still annoyed they didnt inform me, but hey ho.

Got another question, i got a meeting with the bank tomorrow to discuss my options as they have took the overdraft off and my full months wage gone with, so i have £0 to pay bills etc with. So i am wondering if thr bank would help me in this situation. I earn a good wage each month and can afford repayments on a loan that will be used to clear debts with RBS themselves.

Anyone had experiences like this and know if RBS would help me?
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    they still need to inform you...
  • fogy101
    They didnt send any notification that this was going to happen, so it has left me with big problems as couldnt plan for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure