Great Grants Hunt

Comments

• There is a lot of help available for people looking at returning to work or eductaion, regardless of benefits recieved, eligibility more dependant on where you live and having children is a requirement as well.

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/support/workingforfamilies.asp

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2007/03/23104125

Project covers most of scotland, not sure about anywhere else but they can help pay for interview clothes, clothes and equipment for starting work, bike to get to work, PAYG phone in necessary circumstances etc also childcare fund to pay childcare until tax credits start and while going on training courses etc.
  • gordo8
    gordo8 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hope this is in the correct thread, I am on the look out for a grant/loan to get a disabled buggy. I have just had to move house to a private rent as housing Association wouldn't help with adaptations to my bathroom for a walk in shower, nor would they offer help for a transfer nearer to a town, and a more suitable house.. saying we would have to wait up to 5 years.
    There were 6 of us, 2 adults 4 children under 10 in a very small 3 bed house, 1 living room and smallish kitchen, two children shared, the eldest had the box room and we had the baby (16months) in with us. I am up 5-6 times a night in pain or popping off to the loo which meant he was always awake. and still they wouldn't help

Now I have a rather expensive house with walk in shower in a town. the baby has his own room ad we have a downstairs loo, altogether my quaility of life has gone up, but we are having to pay for it.
    I already have a faimly car on motabilty (so can't go down that route again) relying on my wife to take me everwhere, sometimes this is not possible because of school runs etc. Now being in town I still find I am a bit of a prisoner but could have some independance, finanically we are stretched with affording the new house so cannot buy a secondhand buggy, My fingers are crossed that someone knows a charity or organistaion that can help.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit or bored you
  • Kazzajr
    Kazzajr Posts: 1,076
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gordo don't have any advice with regards to the buggy, but I would imagine since you have a mobility car then it is expected that you would use that for travel.

As for your housing, have you applied for housing benefit, it would be worth checking if you are entitled.
  • gordo8
    yea went for housing benefit, also filled a pre tenancy determination with which the rent officer graded us down by £200, I appealed against this. The council awarded full benefit then deducted over £200pm as they said the property was too expensive.

I supplied various house prices from the area confirming this was anywhere between £300 and and £500 cheaper. Finally the outcome was I was again awarded 100% benefit this time with a £20pm reduction. I also recommend anyone to query the first award and also ask about the descenary (spell) housing benefit as not all councils tell you this.
  • Kazzajr
    Kazzajr Posts: 1,076
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That's interesting, I am eligible for some housing benefit but they only work it out based on a certain amount as I am also in a private rent, the amount they work it out on is 120pm lower than my rent. I am not eligible for full HB anyway but wonder if it would be worth querying this, as I currently pay over £200pm rent.

Do you only have to pay £20pm rent now?
  • gordo8
    Do you only have to pay £20pm rent now?

In actual hard cash ..yes the rest is payable to us over 13, 4 weekly payments.

As our Housing agent only accepts calandar monthly payments direct from our back account, we have to find the shortfall and the deducted £20 per month, but this works out over the year as we pay 12 to agent but recieve 13 from Council.

In my honest opinion, my council appear to try it on first time,and always seem to come up with a fairer figure on query or appeal
  • Contact the grants department of your Local Authority. There are grants available for energy efficiency. In certain circumstances minor repars grants of up to £3k are available. If you are disabled you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. Incertain areas there are European Structural Funds available for home improvement. Sadly I do not live in one of these areas. The Charity Commission website lists thousands of charities that give grants so long as you fit into their funding criteria. Be prepared though to write a large number of applications to different charities because it can take many no's before you reach a "yes".

If you are a pensuioner the Government will give you a lump sum each winter towards fuel costs. If you are sick or disabled and are NOT a pensioner be prepared to freeze as you are not eligible for this help towards heating - even if you are on Income Support.
    Be nice to people who are on their way down
    You never know when they are going to pass you on their way back up again
    You cannot light your own candle by blowing out someone else's
  • Contact the grants department of your Local Authority. There are grants available for energy efficiency. In certain circumstances minor repars grants of up to £3k are available. If you are disabled you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. You will need an assessment from the Occupational Therapist. Incertain areas there are European Structural Funds available for home improvement. Sadly I do not live in one of these areas. The Charity Commission website lists thousands of charities that give grants so long as you fit into their funding criteria. Be prepared though to write a large number of applications to different charities because it can take many "no's before you obtain a "yes".

If you are a pensuioner the Government will give you a lump sum each winter towards fuel costs. If you are sick or disabled and are NOT a pensioner be prepared to freeze as you are not eligible for this help towards heating - not even if you are on Income Support.
  • gordo8 wrote: »
    Hope this is in the correct thread, I am on the look out for a grant/loan to get a disabled buggy. I have just had to move house to a private rent as housing Association wouldn't help with adaptations to my bathroom for a walk in shower, nor would they offer help for a transfer nearer to a town, and a more suitable house.. saying we would have to wait up to 5 years.
    There were 6 of us, 2 adults 4 children under 10 in a very small 3 bed house, 1 living room and smallish kitchen, two children shared, the eldest had the box room and we had the baby (16months) in with us. I am up 5-6 times a night in pain or popping off to the loo which meant he was always awake. and still they wouldn't help

Now I have a rather expensive house with walk in shower in a town. the baby has his own room ad we have a downstairs loo, altogether my quaility of life has gone up, but we are having to pay for it.
    I already have a faimly car on motabilty (so can't go down that route again) relying on my wife to take me everwhere, sometimes this is not possible because of school runs etc. Now being in town I still find I am a bit of a prisoner but could have some independance, finanically we are stretched with affording the new house so cannot buy a secondhand buggy, My fingers are crossed that someone knows a charity or organistaion that can help.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit or bored you
    Have you or any member of your family ever served in the armed forces? If so try SSAFA (Your local branch should be in the phone book) If you have ever been in a union, they might help. Former employers are also worth a try - I got help with mine from the Civil Service Benevolent Fund.
  • Contact the grants department of your Local Authority. There are grants available for energy efficiency. In certain circumstances minor repars grants of up to £3k are available. If you are disabled you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. Incertain areas there are European Structural Funds available for home improvement. Sadly I do not live in one of these areas. The Charity Commission website lists thousands of charities that give grants so long as you fit into their funding criteria. Be prepared though to write a large number of applications to different charities because it can take many no's before you reach a "yes".

If you are a pensuioner the Government will give you a lump sum each winter towards fuel costs. If you are sick or disabled and are NOT a pensioner be prepared to freeze as you are not eligible for this help towards heating - even if you are on Income Support.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills