Any value for my old hot water tank?

Comments

• vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We ripped out HUGE quantities of scrap - pics in www.theupsidedownhouse.9f.com - copper included.

The guy who cleared it, got about £120 for this alone, plus whatever the cable & assorted metal was worth.

& even with my moneysaving attitude, it just wasn't worth the effort & journey of around 20miles, the time involved & the potential damage to my car to even consider weighing it in.

Do you REALLY want an old & dirty cylinder, probably containing some rather murky sediment, shoved in the back of yours?

VB
  • Afitos
    Afitos Posts: 503 Forumite
    Thanks everyone,

I guess we have to put it down to experience and hope the plummer enjoys the Beer!
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    looby-loo wrote: »
    Isn't it surprising how some items are cleared away so quickly?

Don't laugh, but we had an avacado loo and basin which I wanted to keep. I told them this during the quote. They were removed and driven away by 10.30 am. I came home at 4.30 and asked for them back. After long discussion and phone calls they got them back. Next day I had a call from a very cross woman whose house they had been fitted into!!!! She was dialing 1471 on the off chance and got me. She had paid them £120 for the loo and basin to match her bidet. They had started to put them in and then taken them away again. She offered me £150 to get them back again - I said OK so she came and collected them and I threw in a ceramic shower tray to match too (was paddling pool so dug it up quick) but at least this way she was happy and I got my money.

WHAT! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    This is a favorite subject of mine.

I reach an agreement with my clients that all rubbish will be cleared away unless they agree otherwise.

They are usually quite happy for me to take the scrap if it's worth something to me.

There is a scrap yard about a mile away from my house. If it's small quantities that I remove I store it around my driveway until it starts getting in the way or represents enough to be worth some oik stealing it, then take it up there.

As far as big jobs are concerned I know that some plumbers discount their quotes if they get to keep the scrap, so it's often worth negotiating this with them.
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • Well, if you have a hot water cylinder in Cornwall let me know - I would be happy to buy it from you. I am desperate to find one!

Tony
  • lee12_2
    lee12_2 Posts: 108 Forumite
    We toke 1 old tank and a box of old copper pipe to the scrap yard last year and got £79 for the lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    looby-loo wrote: »
    Isn't it surprising how some items are cleared away so quickly?

Don't laugh, but we had an avacado loo and basin which I wanted to keep. I told them this during the quote. They were removed and driven away by 10.30 am. I came home at 4.30 and asked for them back. After long discussion and phone calls they got them back. Next day I had a call from a very cross woman whose house they had been fitted into!!!! She was dialing 1471 on the off chance and got me. She had paid them £120 for the loo and basin to match her bidet. They had started to put them in and then taken them away again. She offered me £150 to get them back again - I said OK so she came and collected them and I threw in a ceramic shower tray to match too (was paddling pool so dug it up quick) but at least this way she was happy and I got my money.

I wonder if they charged her again for the second install?
    Just curious, but what were you going to do with the avocado loo and basin if you kept them?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    to be honest, on the price of a complete CH system, the scrap price of the old tank isnt worth all the hassle.
    let em have a drink !!!!!!.
    Get some gorm.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As others have said, on an individual basis it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Most plumbers would collect the copper until they have a van load and then weigh it in
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I cut up our old copper tank and made a couple of garden features and a bird bath.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport