Went into the back of a BMW, how do I deal with this?

Options

Comments

• Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You really should inform your insurer, if the guy is already saying he has a bad neck he could easily claim in a few months time and as others have said your insurers will want to know why you didn't tell them.

I doubt I'd risk it but its your decision!

And if you did 'ram' him, injuries don't always show up straight away so he may actually have an issue (or just be looking to make some money).
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.
    I totally agree, hence the reason for my only stating that using a phone in a mount to make calls isn't illegal "as far as the legislation regarding mobile phone use is concerned."
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I see, so you can tap the screen for making or receiving a call but not sending a text while its in the cradle.

No. If it's in a cradle it's not a hand-held device, so you can use it for sending a text or anything other purpose without committing an offence under the mobile phone regs.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just paid it and got the receipt. Couple of things. The guy when he was at the spray shop was complaining about his neck and the mechanic said it would be worth me getting him to sign a form saying everything had been settled. Just write it out myself?

Also, was checking something on the phone when I hit the guy I am an idiot and have stopped doing this. If you call someone one your phone and use headphones, is that illegal? I have a set. How would you be able to prove you were using the Bluetooth headphones?

I think you should inform your insurance company and now.. if you havn't already invalidated the policy. He has 3 years in which to make a PI claim.
  • bobshipman
    Options
    I'd try insurance job pal. Have known people to try it on especially when they read about easy personal injury money.
  • applepicker
    Options
    dippy3103 wrote: »
    I think you should inform your insurance company and now.. if you havn't already invalidated the policy. He has 3 years in which to make a PI claim.

What about his insurance! He will be in trouble for not reporting it too!
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    What about his insurance! He will be in trouble for not reporting it too!

How would you know he hasn't reported it to his insurer as an information-only incident?
  • applepicker
    Options
    It maybe the case in Africa, but in the UK you just have to USE a hand held device....Phone in a cradle and your tapping away, you are using it, you dont need to be holding it - speaking into a hands free device seems to be ok.

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

So do they get the phone history and know if you've been texting or checking facebook? And of course -speaking on your phone would be easy to know about. But how would you prove your innocence of using a head piece?
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Went into the back of a BMW, how do I deal with this?

Put it in reverse and back away? :)
  • applepicker
    applepicker Posts: 151 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2016 at 9:36AM
    Options
    How would you know he hasn't reported it to his insurer as an information-only incident?

It must be a month now would you recommend I report it as incident only in case there's an injury claim against me? The repair work has been paid for.

One reason why I haven't is that I reported an incident when someone hit me 2 years ago and it became an absolute nightmare with the company putting me through lots of stress for something which was basically nothing! The person paid for it outside of insurance but just reporting it became a headache.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure