Standard Life Shares

1138139140141142144»

Comments

• sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Their total assets under management gained 8% in just a few months this year apparently.
    That would be astonishing performance if I read it right. Justifies the price rise in large part I guess
  • mucgoo
    mucgoo Posts: 28 Forumite
    Their total assets under management gained 8% in just a few months this year apparently.
    That would be astonishing performance if I read it right. Justifies the price rise in large part I guess

Wouldn't that be largely down to the general rise in asset prices in the last few months.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Forumite
    Thats a good point :D I guess i was presuming they hedge out market moves but maybe they dont.

I know market is a big thing for them as in 2009 it was a major concern that stocks were low and SL liable to pay out anyway. To the extent SL had 3bn cash ? and was valued at 3bn (130p or 1/3 of now)

They had already said at the time we hedged the entire market, in this case I doubt they are still operating a hedge against the market. But accounting wise surely they discount it for accurate comparison. I guess normal fund managers dont as they are taking a percentage in fees so an inflated market is a bonus to them.

You are probably correct, SL is leveraged to market moves in this way

I thought 8% might be from that new government pension thingy. Ive not read alot on it
  • mucgoo
    mucgoo Posts: 28 Forumite
    They wouldn't be hedged on the assets under management for the general public's UK dividend income blahblah fund.
    Looking at the summary they had £2.8B of net inflow and £12.2B of market increase YTD.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The share price continues to do well - now £4.15 and paid a dividend today of 22.6p/share (a special dividend of 12.8p in addition to the final dividend of 9.8p)

Regards
    Sunil
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just promoting this thread to record that Standard Life is at/near a record high.

It jumped on the announcement that it is selling its Canadian operations for much more than most people thought they were worth and will be returning 73p/share to holders in cash.

Regards
    Sunil
  • anoncol
    anoncol Posts: 982 Forumite
    Fantastic news, i've only got these shares from my pension company getting taken over.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Forumite
    Zombifying this in honour of 240p approaching with a buy writeup from Questor. Just considering the battlefield such as it is

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/29/questor-share-tip-buy-standard-life--as-shares-are-oversold/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure