Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 January 2014 at 3:11PM
    Options
    AF will just say that
    ...hurrendous security at CDG airport..

is an extraordinary circumstance, no compensation due.

If the next flight CDG-MAN had had space on it, would you've arrived at MAN 3 hours or more late?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • RhiManchester
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    AF will just say that

is an extraordinary circumstance.

Do you think they will try to use this excuse? I don't think it was any worse than usual, I've never flown through there before so it seemed pretty bad to me, however having spoken to other people it seems to be the norm...
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you think they will try to use this excuse? ...

Yes, saves 'em paying out compensation !
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Kaybenson
    Kaybenson Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks,

Can someone be of help. My Dad have 207 minutes delay in 2006 with virgin. Can i still claim? Can i do it on his behalf? I did send a letter via email and post at that time but got no response. Your advice will be appreciated.
    Cheers
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kaybenson wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Can someone be of help. My Dad have 207 minutes delay in 2006 with virgin. Can i still claim? Can i do it on his behalf? I did send a letter via email and post at that time but got no response. Your advice will be appreciated.
    Cheers

Out of time to claim.
  • Kaybenson
    Kaybenson Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    Out of time to claim.

I did write a complaint letter to them at that time.

Did you think i can resuscitate it somehow?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

No. Sorry.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

you need to commence court action within the 6 year limit so nothing else you can do.
    If you want to waste a stamp you can write to Virgin to claim but I would fully expect them to either reject or ignore you are they know 100% there is nothing else you can do
  • zweety
    zweety Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Our Air France flight from Dublin to London at 8pm on the 12th January 2014 was cancelled and we were advised around 8.20pm whilst at the airport.

Air France told us to queue at the Air France desk to be rerouted or get a refund. As we were queuing at the Air France desk, an Air France staff informed us that there was a 22pm flight to London if we couldn’t wait until the next flight with Air France the following morning (there was no guarantee that there would be any seat left with AF the following morning).

In the stress of the situation (we had to get to work early the following morning) and being somewhat inexperienced we assumed that the additional cost would be covered by Air France and bought a ticket with Ryanair. The Ryanair ticket cost £428 and we paid £20 for the bus from Stanstead to central London.
    The original AF ticket was only £63 and we were supposed to arrive at City Airport, where no transfer connection would be applicable for us.

I tried to get the additional cost of £448 refunded by AF (£428 Ryanair ticket refunded + £20 bus ticket) but Air France only agreed to reimburse: £63 for the cancelled AF tickets + £20 for the bus from Stansted to Central London + £60 voucher. This leaves me with £305 unexpected expenses.

They claimed that “The flight concerned was cancelled due to a technical issue that was encountered unexpectedly and which presents itself beyond our scope of influence.”

I have now contacted the National Enforcement Body of Ireland to investigate the reason for their cancellation. I am not expecting to hear from them before March/April. In the meantime, is there anything else I should consider?
  • zweety
    zweety Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I understand, since it was cancelled due to a "technical issue that was encountered unexpectedly and which presents itself beyond our scope of influence" the compensation are not applicable.

And the "National Enforcement Body of Ireland" (equivalent of CAA in UK) is the only body regulated to check that this is correct. If it is, I am screwed. If it isn't and AF lied, then I am entitled to the 250 euros per ticket...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure