The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......

Comments

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone and apologies for going missing. It's been a strange week but it's done now.

Firstly I can't believe that you only get £3.50 per hour for you childminding but people will pay £10 for dog walking. Don't get me wrong i love dogs but..........beggars belief.

Well this week has been very boring and manic at the same time. Works awful. The students aren't back until September and we only started enrolment on Friday so the rest of the week was virtually nothingness. I don't do well with nothing to do but I do have my paperwork prepped up till September.

One bit of good news is that I not only have my parking pass but I have a space in reserved parking due to sons issues some morning. You are still not guaranteed a space but it's more likely one will be available. Also it will save me between £26 and £32 per month parking fees. :j along with the tiny payrise I will have extra money to throw at the debt.

I have had a reply back from one of my mortgage PPI claims. I will hear by 10th October. I'm not getting my hopes up but it's worth a go. I have also had a text from the other one so its just a waiting game now.

I have also spent the week trying to do stuff with the house as last night was the party! It went off ok but to be honest I don't like lots of people around me so I sloped off and hid a couple of times.:rotfl: I was so stressed about the state of the house and mother in law did make the comment it could be a nice house!!!! Cheeky mare. I know it needs work but unless I rob a bank it has to wait. Anyway that brings me on to another thing.

I have been talking with DH about what happens if we go a good chunk of PPI payout. Initially I had decided that I was going to pay it off debt as most of it was paid out when I was living here alone but then had a little thought. We have loads of big jobs which need doing. The rewiring really needs to be done. The house is absolutely freezing in winters with single glazing and also gets lots of condensation when the heating is on which causes black mould. So as I'm paying off the debt anyway do I just use any potential PPI to get these jobs done. I wouldn't be getting extra debt and both have a health and safety issue attached to them. I would still have the same debt as I have now. It's just something I have been thinking about.

Anyway although I didn't achieve my summer challenge fully I feel like I need a now until Christmas challenge/s. These may change slightly as I'm doing them off the top of my head.

Money

I'm going to try as hard as I can to pay off £2500. This is more than what I would pay with monthly payments but being back at work I have less sewing time so I will struggle to go higher unless I get to grips with ebay, etc and start selling stuff too.

House

Although during the run up to the party I did some major decluttering I still have much to go. I'm going to challenge myself to be completely decluttered by christmas. That's including the whole house, the cellar, the cupboard from hell in the bedroom and the garden sheds.:eek: I will have to do something EVERYDAY to achieve this whether it be big or small. Also if we did get a payout and did get the rewiring done the stuff needs to be gone anyway.

Something to ponder and revisit.

Anyway time to get on and get some washing in while it's sunny. And later find an hour for a diary catch up session.

Have a lovely day all. I hope it goes well.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Great news on the parking place and the pay rise. As Mr T the supermarket says, every little helps :)
    You are doing so well on the decluttering and you will figure what to do if PPI pays out.
    Have a lovely Sunday :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • If your house was winter proofed, your heating bills should reduce.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi PH

In your position I would definitely pay any money that comes in into getting the house sorted.

You're paying the debt anyway and living in a safe warm house whilst doing so would help emotionally, mentally and physically. With the house sorted all the background worry about it, which is grinding you down, would be gone and you can concentrate purely on the debt whilst living in a nice home.

Hope things go the way you need them to re. PPI. I think you're doing a fantastic job of sorting yourselves out. ~Good Luck XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think people are right about investing in the house. When we moved here, (1990-something) we had no money - just enough to struggle by, and it really was a struggle. It's an older house and DH applied draught excluder to doors and windows to help keep the bills down. Over the years we've been able to do some major things: first one part of the house then the other got double glazing - big help! The bathroom was modernised on the strength of an insurance claim. Various areas have been re-plastered. Failing storage heaters are replaced with modern heating (though I miss snuggling up to my storage heaters!) The electrics have been completely replaced so at last I can be fairly sure it's safe. Gas has been installed. It's taken years and years, and we still battle the condensation, but it's easier to live here now.

You will know what you want to target and what would help you most. I'd recommend looking into it: a warmer house makes life so much easier!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Although during the run up to the party I did some major decluttering I still have much to go. I'm going to challenge myself to be completely decluttered by christmas. That's including the whole house, the cellar, the cupboard from hell in the bedroom and the garden sheds.:eek: I will have to do something EVERYDAY to achieve this whether it be big or small. Also if we did get a payout and did get the rewiring done the stuff needs to be gone anyway.

You are going to inspire, me, I can tell!

I have so much to declutter... :( And you are right, rewiring around clutter is a nightmare. Don't ask me how I know! :rotfl:

I may try to keep a record in my diary of any decluttering I manage, and I will definitely be following yours. I do anyway, but you are making me feel it can be done.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • parsniphead
    Great news on the parking place and the pay rise. As Mr T the supermarket says, every little helps :)
    You are doing so well on the decluttering and you will figure what to do if PPI pays out.
    Have a lovely Sunday :)

Thanks DIA. The parking place is going to make life a little easier in more ways than one. It will cut down on my daily walk though so I do NEED to start exercising.

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
  • parsniphead
    If your house was winter proofed, your heating bills should reduce.

Thank you INOD. Again words of wisdom in one short sentence. Lower bills would be appreciated.

• parsniphead
    Chrystal wrote: »
    Hi PH

In your position I would definitely pay any money that comes in into getting the house sorted.

You're paying the debt anyway and living in a safe warm house whilst doing so would help emotionally, mentally and physically. With the house sorted all the background worry about it, which is grinding you down, would be gone and you can concentrate purely on the debt whilst living in a nice home.

Hope things go the way you need them to re. PPI. I think you're doing a fantastic job of sorting yourselves out. ~Good Luck XX

Thank you chrystal. I spent a lot on the house with damp proofing and a new roof when I first moved in and lived alone. Than along came debt and no money. I think it's so easy to get stuck in the mindset that you can't have things, even when these things are needed. One day when they are done I can get on to prettying up....oh and a new kitchen.

• parsniphead
    I think people are right about investing in the house. When we moved here, (1990-something) we had no money - just enough to struggle by, and it really was a struggle. It's an older house and DH applied draught excluder to doors and windows to help keep the bills down. Over the years we've been able to do some major things: first one part of the house then the other got double glazing - big help! The bathroom was modernised on the strength of an insurance claim. Various areas have been re-plastered. Failing storage heaters are replaced with modern heating (though I miss snuggling up to my storage heaters!) The electrics have been completely replaced so at last I can be fairly sure it's safe. Gas has been installed. It's taken years and years, and we still battle the condensation, but it's easier to live here now.

You will know what you want to target and what would help you most. I'd recommend looking into it: a warmer house makes life so much easier!

Thank you cherry. As I said in my previous post I did some things then run out of money and along came debt. I think fifteen years of sitting here thinking oh well, I can't do it is enough and I need to start pulling my finger out to get stuff done. You house does seem to have the same list as mine though.:rotfl:

Good luck with decluttering. There are a couple of good thread over on old style but I tend to just potter away on my own.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure