PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours ball damaging fence.

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Suggest you repair whatever damage the football has caused to the fence. With some sharp nails. That poke through to the other side....
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    PhilE wrote: »
    So I'm in a situation where the neighbors at the rear, children and father, pound a heavy football against the fence. Its my mothers property.

Its been agitating her, and has caused damage to the fence. There's a bench at the back where she likes to sit, now she can't do that without the fence sounding like someones taken a hammer to it.

I'll be checking the deeds on Monday to see who owns the fence. I'll take pictures of the damage, and then knock on the door and politely ask that they stop, as they have damaged the fence and are causing agitation.

Failing that, it will have to be a solicitors letter. I'd rather it didn't go that far.

Any shared experience on a similar matter or additional things I could do would be appreciated.

The deeds wont show who owns the fence, so you need to clarify with your mum who put it up
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Thanks for the suggestions all. The fence was actually erected by the neighbors to the right of my mums property when facing it. Had a chat with them and they payed for the whole of the fence to the rear, which covers all of their rear garden and half of my mums.
    They have damage to their fence also, and are not too happy about it.

You can get football nets for less than £40; more fun for the kids, no noise for the neighbors and no damage to fences. Really cant understand why the father doesn't simply invest in one of those.

I will try the 'tea and cake,' approach and suggest this.
  • Guest101
    Thanks for the suggestions all. The fence was actually erected by the neighbors to the right of my mums property when facing it. Had a chat with them and they payed for the whole of the fence to the rear, which covers all of their rear garden and half of my mums.
    They have damage to their fence also, and are not too happy about it.

You can get football nets for less than £40; more fun for the kids, no noise for the neighbors and no damage to fences. Really cant understand why the father doesn't simply invest in one of those.

I will try the 'tea and cake,' approach and suggest this.

In which case only those neighbours have a claim
  • PhilE
    Guest101 wrote: »
    In which case only those neighbours have a claim

Fence at rear of two houses.
  • PhilE
    Davesnave wrote: »
    That's more likely to lead to retaliation, which the OP's mother doesn't need and wouldn't necessarily cope well with.

We can all think of nuclear options.

Tea, cake and the promise of a new football every few months if it stops is route 1.

Routes 2, 3, 4 etc are much more expensive, but none of them ought to involve putting something as nasty as anti-vandal paint on the footballer's side.

Yes its necessary to try the 'nice,' options first if its your elderly parent involved, and you don't live there. I do have to consider retaliation when I'm not around.
  • Guest101
    Fence at rear of two houses.

What?

Look, only the owners of the fence have a claim.

Just like I cant claim for damage for your car.

It's simple property ownership law.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    buy them a football net? (and cake)
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • yoshiyella
    yoshiyella Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    For those people saying buy a football net - I used to play football with my brother and Dad in our garden. We had a football net. The ball still hit the fence! Apologies I don't have any other suggestions other than the be nice approach.

I don't know your area but the difficulties we had as children was that it was the back garden or nothing as the land around us had those wonderful signs saying "No ball games".

Not sure how old these children are but I'm sure you can get balls that are soft play ( a harder type of sponge ball) so has less impact on the fence.
  • Chloe_G
    Chloe_G Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 12 June 2017 at 6:50PM
    My new neighbours painted their side of my fence (cost me £1500 three months before they moved in.) They got some odd job men who spraypainted it black (it was pale gold colour) on a November evening in the pouring rain). I saw it next morning - dark woodstain had run through ruined the fence, all run down and ruined the gravel boards. I went round nicely and explained it was my fence and he should have asked and he had damaged my fence.) He had a good old laugh and can't understand my problem! Tea and cake didn't work.

Sorry if this is off the point; I can't stand stress of going down the solicitor route and I am now growing a holly hedge this side and will eventually take down my fence leaving him to put up with holly leaves!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure