Millionaire Challenge

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hey - Tink - how did the move go. Bet you feel better now that you are back in your little nest.

Your comments about making decisions are spot on - I can confirm that's what has happened in my life. Often it's out of adversity that we find the path to success…..Your marital breakdown will be spur that drives you forward.

My OH had wanted to go self employed but there was always a little nagging doubt and he was nervous about giving up a successful well paid job. When he was made redundant we decided that it was now or never and he should just go for it. We never looked back.

Similarly - nearly going bankrupt and losing everything is my spur. It's what has put me back on track and what continues to motivate me when I'm tired and fed up.

When you are down - the only way is up:D

As you say - you just know that you have to make it work so you just roll up your sleeves and get stuck in.

I've had a good week. Finally sorted out a plasterer. Have decided to use the guy who did the kitchen. He's expensive but he did a fantastic job, he was reliable and not too messy!!!

To save costs he advised me to clean up the brickwork ourselves. I made a start yesterday. Oh dear - it's not work for a 62 year old woman with dodgy knees and a temperamental back. ;) I'll pace myself and do what I can but I'm afraid this is a job for the boys. I'll just have to put my talents to better use. :rotfl:

Hey ho. Onwards and upwards.
  • Hi everyone!

Thank you Tinkay84 for the advice. The more people I hear of who retrain and feel better for it, the more determined I am to do this! LL, always good to read your posts. I hope you are well.

Good bits and bad bits this week.

Good Bits
    Went to Street retail village this weekend and bought some early Xmas presents.
    Got paid!
    Done house tidying and general de-cluttering
    Started an excel spread sheet detailing outgoings and where I can make savings/cutbacks

Bad Bit
    Quite often you start things in life and never finish them, we all do it! Well, with "leaps of faith" like change of career or moving or making a commitment (non relationship wise) I always chicken out. Air on the side of caution seems to be my middle name! This week has had lots of moments of doubting my own ability.

Anyway, more stuff to do!

CO
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Hey Guys

Ive read around 50 pages and decided I will join.

Well done tink, its seems your getting busier and busier, LL- did you manage to get a sewing machine in the end? i'm looking for recommendations :) Also you seem so strong, what with your families decline in health, I am so glad that you stuck to all phases of your plan though.

For the rest of the year I have 2 objectives

1) Clear up some debts I have, I am behind in certain bills and want to be ahead, sometimes when they come through the door I ignore them because I don't have the money to pay.

2) have Min £500 in saving by the end of the year.

I currently have a start up business which is not making money as yet, it is a clothing business, I have had to train up, as the person who was doing the work seems to be ripping me off, so im glad I finally enrolled in a course, I had been trying since august at my local college but it was always fully booked, anyway the first part os nearly finished beginning of july, then I will start the next part in September.

I am self employed, but was having a rough time for the past 6 months getting any work, this is now picking up though, I am funding my business through that money which isn't ideal when I have none, but until its start making money I will continue as a sole trader.

I start a part time job this month, have my 3rd installement of training this week, so should start this month.

I have also joined clixsense which while wont make a millionaire, has helped me in dire time and I have managed to cashout twice a week, so things are looking up there.

This all stemmed from me being made redundant in Aug 2012 nd have a horrible boss and deciding that as I was turning 30 I didn't want to work for anybody directly anymore in a 9-5, my part time job is very flexible and I can work my own hours.

I Hope I can be a millionaire by 45, that would be great! i'm currently 31.

So that's me.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • gothrockchic1
    gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Hi everyone, I finally managed to get my thread written. Let me know what you think.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4990991
  • lessonlearned
    Hi night rider - welcome to the thread.

Re the sewing machine. I bought a little battery operated one from Dunhelm - about £15 just to make a few cushions etc. It's brilliant. I even managed to make some curtains using it - although I had to do them in stages so I could give the machine a little rest.

I do aim to upgrade once I've moved though. We shall actually have a spare bedroom which we are going to use as an office/workroom for me. I can't wait- I have so missed having a proper office/workspace. I quite fancy an overlocker too…….

Your clothing company sounds great. I used to be quite the fashion designer when I was a teen - Derby's answer to Mary Quant. :rotfl::rotfl: I also studied fashion at college when I did my art and design degree course. I love working with textiles and have loads of ideas and projects I want to tackle.

Not much happening here - OH struggling a bit so spending as much time as I can with him, whilst still plugging away at the renovations on prop 2 and landscaping prop 1. Mum's health has also taken a further nosedive so again a lot of my time is taken up with mum and dad.

Today I'm having a day off from it all - a new haircut (for a new me:rotfl:) and then lunch and a mooch round the shops with a friend.
  • tinktay84
    tinktay84 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Hi all,
    Yes move has gone well. Changed locks without mentioning it to Ex but he commented on it the other day - made me glad I changed them!Funny he knows they have changed when im the only one that should know....?
    Anyway, first months rent has been paid...everything else is in the process fo being paid in stages.
    I have been knocked out today by what I can only describe as a 'slow down' head cold so have spent the afternoon in bed.
    I moved house and got everything straight in the space of a day - my decorating girls helped move all the furniture from storage but then once it was all in my lounge I basically did everything to keep my mind occupied.
    I have been working 6/7 days to try and get money in the bank as I now know im on my own so if I fail ive only myself to look to.
    However I refuse to fail.
    We have been asked to tender for another big job which is amazing and once the cash flow is sorted I will be looking to take on more girls when possible. Not happening any time soon though as each month end is a touch and go as to wages being paid which is added stress I could do without.
    I am now looking at October for decorating work so know I can offer the girls job security which always makes for a happy and productive team.
    Got 3 full houses on the go at the moment, 1 completed today, 1 should be by Thursday and 1 is ongoing.
    The penthouse starts on Monday so as excited as I am my nerves are kicking in.
    Im currently supposed to be writing out the jobsheet for it!

LL sorry to here about OH and Mum hope they have some improvement
    trainee millionaire (aka not there yet!)
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Guys,

LL - I read that you had someone else but my Dad said he would fish it out for me and then I keep forgetting to ask him about it so I still don't have it anyway!! Hope everything is ok?

I wasn't going to post but the thread has been silent for a whole 5 days I thought it needed bumping and to find out how everyone is getting on.

Personally, I feel A LOT better. Wedding plans are being changed. We are doing it OUR way (or I guess really my way....but OH isn't bothered as long as he gets a party/!!!! up lol) so basically our 5k wedding is coming down to about 3-3.5k...which is a lot more easier for me to handle...I just can't justify 5k...3k is bad enough but I sleep better at night and at least it's affordable. Phone calls to make tomorrow. Fingers crossed all goes well.

I can't sleep tonight and I know I will regret it ~ long story short was in hosp with little man Friday-Sat (he's fine now no worries) so I didn't sleep and Sat night they were both ill and I couldn't sleep again...I did get a couple hours kip today in the day (so not like me) ...but hey! Here I am. :-)

I read an interesting blog today ~ Mr Money Mustache again, I did recommend his blog on this thread before after reading one article then never went back to read it myself but I just needed a pick me up on the money motivation side of things and it was 50 ways to earn a 50k(dollars) living without a degree.

It's got me thinking a lot of us just don't know what to do with ourselves to get to the golden million... but the fact is there is SO many ways to do it but I think because we havn't done it before we just can't imagine it being successful, the belief isn't their. People have become millionaires from trading in the stock market to running a cleaning business....and the ONLY people who say it's possible is the millionaires themselves because they KNOW that they didn't have a special set of skills that made them who they are....

I've got a to do list on my desk ~ it's pretty basic but the business is in my partners name due to me being on M/L ...well M/L is over so first thing first...get the business to my name. One small step at a time.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • lessonlearned
    edited 16 June 2014 at 7:22PM
    Hi Everyone - still here and still plodding away……

Kaya - Sorry to hear that your little man was poorly again - and you had a bad night again with both of them. No wonder you are tired - I remember it well.

My eldest son was often ill (asthma) and like you I use to worry myself silly but he is now a hale and hearty almost 30 year old. He still spends a fair bit of time in A&E with his various sporting injuries but I tell myself he's old enough to know his limits. I do still worry at times but that's what mums do best!!!

Well done on reducing the wedding budget. I firmly believe that you don't need to throw a huge wodge of cash around to have a fabulous day. I read somewhere that the average wedding costs around £25 to £30K :eek: Madness.

I bet you will have a wonderful day and you won't rack up a load of debt in the process.

I've had a good look at Mr Money Moustache and several Simple Living type blogs recently.

I have been steadily decluttering and downsizing over the past couple of years and I do feel that I am now ready to fully embrace minimalism. I have been purging my possessions again. I have a couple of boxes ready to go to my lady who is selling for me. What doesn't get sold will be given away.

I want to live a streamlined, clutter free lifestyle with peace, calm and serenity being my watch words.

Like Mr Moustache and many other millionaires I think that combining hard work with a simple lifestyle are the key to both making and keeping money. And I do believe that a simpler way of living is likely to be less stressful. And of course a clutter free house is easier to clean.:D

Speaking of houses - plasterers began work on Prop 2 today. ;) Fingers crossed that they finish the job………

As soon as that's done we can crack on and we can move in. The money I'm saving in rent will help me replenish the coffers. The bank balance needs to grow as lush and as healthy as the new garden I am creating.;)
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    So I have made a start with my plan.

Small steps, confirmed some outstanding money owed, so I have a rough figure. Also I decided to list some of my stock on facebook local pages, mostly branded goods I have stored for a few years really from my eBay days, nothing to do with my new business, so I've done that in the last hour, I've had a nibble and a provisional sale for Friday, cash in hand and no fees.

Still quite a way to go and most of my contract work won't pay out until beginning of July, when I can start paying some of these bills off.

I've decided as I pay a bit of a bill, to add a bit to my savings account as well.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Buzzing.

Had my Accountant round this morning and only had a £10 tax bill to pay, that is probably about right considering I have just re invested everything but the plan now is to build sideways instead of upwards (so basically instead of expanding new items I can do, to expand the art work on the ones I have to sell more)

Done two pages of art work which between them have 40 new lines to list on eBay..tomorrow I will need to copy each art work into a eBay template to then upload that picture to eBay to get them listed!

To Do list for tomorrow:

1. Ring Car insurance to cancel
    2. Start new car insurance
    3. Put all artwork into templates
    4. At LEAST another 2 chapters of my course

It will probably take me a a couple hours to do task 3 so I will save doing the listings till Friday unless I find time but want to take kids out to park in the morning. :-) MIL is having them for 2 hours in afternoon so that should give me a no excuse gap bar the car insurance.

I feel like I am back on track again again :-)

Good luck with the plans people...onwards and sideways!!! (For me anyway! Got to keep the pennies in the pot!)

ETA: Ahh I forgot ...it's a good thing but I've had a fairly decent sized order that will take me about two hours...so that's my two hour slot filled!! I'll find time lol
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback