buying shares with specific company

2»

Comments

• HardSpend
    HardSpend Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jimjames wrote: »
    Have you decided which company? Bear in mind the price can go down as well as up so your 30% might actually be a loss not a gain.

What about if you'd invested in Carillion? They've dropped 70%, 192p on 7th July, now 67p. So your £500 would be worth £175. Admittedly it's small amounts of money but still a drop. In the same time a fund investing in the FTSE has probably moved 1-2%
    Yes decided, I understand it's a risk but one I am comfortable about losing. Carillion made 15% today, looking good!:D
  • HardSpend
    edited 17 July 2017 at 8:48PM
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    This is one of those "if you need to ask, you shouldn't do it" questions.

£300-£500 in a FTSE250? Not worth it. Maybe if it was a small new co it might be worth punting the money on the chance it was 10x in 3 years. Thats not going to happen to an FTSE250.

Costs and fees will likely negate much of what you would gain.

And if you can only afford £500 for 3 years, than you cant afford it anyway.
    Concentrate on basics first. Emergency expenses, mortgage, pension. Then start investing.
    Surely everyone has to ask to start with questions or we wouldn't get anywhere?:eek: For the x-o website the "dealing commission" is £5.95 and "ISA closure" £50, are there other costs/fees I should be aware of? Obviously the risk of losing everything.

I have a lot more to invest but I wanted to start low with something I can afford to lose. I thought about it for a long time and did research into the company.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    An old adage is make your first million in collective investments, then it can try putting on individual shares, nothing wrong with that.

For the sums you're talking about and liking a bit of risk why not do some p2p, risk of capital loss but double digit returns aren't too difficult.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    HardSpend wrote: »
    Surely everyone has to ask to start with questions or we wouldn't get anywhere?:eek:

Yes, but you've got to be prepared to listen to the answers!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Surely everyone has to ask to start with questions or we wouldn't get anywhere?:eek: For the x-o website the "dealing commission" is £5.95 and "ISA closure" £50, are there other costs/fees I should be aware of? Obviously the risk of losing everything.

I have a lot more to invest but I wanted to start low with something I can afford to lose. I thought about it for a long time and did research into the company.

I didn't say you shouldn't ask questions, just that for some questions, if you need to ask, you shouldn't. But not all questions are of that nature. Yours was :-)

"I've only got £500 and no other savings I want to invest it Ina single company" is one.
    " I've got 10 k in emergency savings and £100/month id like to start investing what should I invest in? " , isn't.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have a lot more to invest but I wanted to start low with something I can afford to lose.

Everyone can afford to lose money. We have a generous welfare system and everyone in this country can afford to lose every penny and every asset they own. No-one actually wants to lose money. When people say "I'm only investing money I can afford to lose" it indicates they haven't thought through how they would feel if they did lose it.
    I thought about it for a long time and did research into the company.

Waste of time. You could do research for a thousand years and not discover anything that the market doesn't already know, and if you did, you would by law have to declare it to the market and so you still wouldn't know anything that would make you money. "Doing your research" achieves nothing but a false sense of security.
  • HardSpend
    TheShape wrote: »
    Yes, but you've got to be prepared to listen to the answers!
    I am, hence the follow up questions:D
  • HardSpend
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I didn't say you shouldn't ask questions, just that for some questions, if you need to ask, you shouldn't. But not all questions are of that nature. Yours was :-)

"I've only got £500 and no other savings I want to invest it Ina single company" is one.
    " I've got 10 k in emergency savings and £100/month id like to start investing what should I invest in? " , isn't.

ah I'm being misquoted but that's okay:p

on the x-o website the "dealing commission" is £5.95 and "ISA closure" is £50, it doesn't seem much in terms of fees?
  • HardSpend
    Malthusian wrote: »
    derail

Waste of time. You could do research for a thousand years and not discover anything that the market doesn't already know, and if you did, you would by law have to declare it to the market and so you still wouldn't know anything that would make you money. "Doing your research" achieves nothing but a false sense of security.
    Each to their own but in my opinion doing your own research (DYOR) into the mass of information freely and legally available will help any threwd investor.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Shrewd investors do not invest all their money in the shares of a single company. Doing research into exactly which company you should invest all your money in has no effect on expected returns (throwing darts at the Financial Times is just as likely to identify the next Google or the next HBOS) and is therefore a waste of time. Doing research on whether you should invest all your money in one company in the first place is a different matter entirely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure