Broadband speed problem

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Gers, are you turning the router on/off? Because this is a great way to screw up your connection speed, every time you turn it off, the line detects that as a fault and slows down the connection speed to compensate.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 12:25AM
    Gers, it is a good time to visit your neighbours and see what they get. You should expect every one to get sort of the same within limits.

If a neighbour is on fibre, has a good connection, it could be possible for an exchange of cash he could be willing to share?.... and someone will post a comment that it is against T&Cs

if it is the line, and your phone number is not that important (many use mobiles only) then a month before you contract ends, you may want to get a second line put in. Some companies charge £60, but others are free, and then terminate the contract for the old line and the isp.

I did read on a forum that newer lines have thinner wire and are more prone to signal loss - unsure if this is true or not?

Also is your exchange the closest? it may have been the closest a number of years ago, it is it still?

After 4 calls, Plusnet could still not fix my line, got the £60 engineer call out spiel. Sky had a special offer and they were cheaper, and I asked for a new line, (which they offered for free) and I told them I was having issues. Since the move all has been great.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,960
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Gers, are you turning the router on/off? Because this is a great way to screw up your connection speed, every time you turn it off, the line detects that as a fault and slows down the connection speed to compensate.

No! Even though the BT agent kept on telling me to! We argued about that a bit. He didn't believe me!

Thanks for mentioning it.
  • Gers
    Forumite
    were wrote: »
    Gers, it is a good time to visit your neighbours and see what they get. You should expect every one to get sort of the same within limits.

If a neighbour is on fibre, has a good connection, it could be possible for an exchange of cash he could be willing to share?.... and someone will post a comment that it is against T&Cs

if it is the line, and your phone number is not that important (many use mobiles only) then a month before you contract ends, you may want to get a second line put in. Some companies charge £60, but others are free, and then terminate the contract for the old line and the isp.

I did read on a forum that newer lines have thinner wire and are more prone to signal loss - unsure if this is true or not?

Also is your exchange the closest? it may have been the closest a number of years ago, it is it still?

After 4 calls, Plusnet could still not fix my line, got the £60 engineer call out spiel. Sky had a special offer and they were cheaper, and I asked for a new line, (which they offered for free) and I told them I was having issues. Since the move all has been great.

Unfortunately we are all on EO lines and fibre is only a faraway dream.

And yes, the exchange is in the village though that is about five miles away. And my house is the last in the line. It's all going against me! I could live with 1.9mbps but a third of that is useless.

Just to add salt to my wound my 89 year mother has just had Infinity installed in her house (100 miles away) and it's brilliant.

Thanks for offering help, I appreciate it.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 8:42AM
    How far are you from the exchange? (Work out the direct distance and add, say, 800 m and that'll be the approximate line length).

Can you get a corded, simple phone? (About £5 from Argos). Plug that into the test socket and do a quiet line test. (Dial 17070 and select option 2). The line should be silent .. any clicks or screeches or anything like that and you have a line fault which should be reported to BT.

I'm not allowed to direct-link my PDF, so ... search Google for adsl2plusfordummies and among the first results should be a link to my PDF. It's old information but it applies directly to your situation. (I didn't write that guide, but I copied it from another site - with their permission - when that site was shutting down, so that the useful guide wasn't lost).
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Quiet line tests should be done with the router on to pick up an HRDIS fault causing noise when the ADSL signal is present. It should then be repeated with it off to see if the noise goes away which pretty much confirms the cause assuming it isn't a filter problem which should be eliminated by substitution of a different filter.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    +1 to the above.

And for clarity ... a filter is used to filter the phone (voice) from the signal. The broadband part is a straight through connection.

adsl_filter2wire.gifmicrofilter_circuit_diagram.gif
  • Gers
    Forumite
    Just waiting for the call back from BT - should be soon if the adviser sticks to his own schedule.

Thanks folks.
  • Gers
    Forumite
    Got the call - he said that the SNR won't be complete until about 3pm.

After that I'll do the noise test via the test socket - thanks. There's already a corded phone plugged into the master socket, only got one portable phone plugged in downstairs.
  • Gers
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 7:02PM
    SNR has made no / little difference. Speed now fluctuating between .33mbps and .41mbps.

Quiet test done, no noise heard but phone calls do crackle.

BT agent is calling me back about 8pm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport