Starting a business whilst claiming PIP?

Hello guys and gals,

I couldn't really find anything in regards to this so thought I would ask for some help.

I currently have PIP but solely just the mobility element. I don't recieve any sort of living arrangements etc, I literally just get my Mobility car.

Anywho, I do currently work but I'm considering as a side thing to start a business with a friend. It doesn't involve anything that goes against my claim and the job would be the same as what I currently do.

I'm just concerned whether this will affect my claim or not. Can anyone advise, thank-you.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    WhaleTrain wrote: »
    Hello guys and gals,

I couldn't really find anything in regards to this so thought I would ask for some help.

I currently have PIP but solely just the mobility element. I don't recieve any sort of living arrangements etc, I literally just get my Mobility car.

Anywho, I do currently work but I'm considering as a side thing to start a business with a friend. It doesn't involve anything that goes against my claim and the job would be the same as what I currently do.

I'm just concerned whether this will affect my claim or not. Can anyone advise, thank-you.
    Why would it affect your claim? You say you already work. PIP isn't means tested so you'll be fine. Plenty of people work and cliam PIP.
  • WhaleTrain
    WhaleTrain Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 19 June 2017 at 10:25PM
    Thank-you for the reply.

No real reason just I didn't know if there was any difference to being employed or owning a business was all and whether this would effect it or i'd have to declare it etc.

Basically, I'd still be working whilst running the side business so I didn't know if doing both would also affect it.

It makes sense but I'm just a little scared on these topics haha.
  • Given what you have said I would see no problem.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    I'd also see no problem. I worked (PAYE) and topped my income up with small self employed side line at the same time on DLA for several years. The only time that it would be an issue would be if by doing so you were contradicting what you'd said and the reasons that you receive PIP or DLA. For example if your self employed business was as a dog walker (needing to walk miles each day) and your claim says you can't walk 20 metres.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No, no problem at all. The whole point of PIP (personal independence payment) is to help us do the things that people without our disabilities do.

Just one point to consider though. You say "the job would be the same as what I currently do."
    You are sure that doesn't breach the terms of your current employment contract aren't you? Many contracts state that you can't do other work in the same field as your job whilst you are in your job, some contracts say you can't work part-time in any other capacity without first disclosing it to your employer.
    It would be awful to do some work as a sideline to boost your earnings, just to find that you lose your main job.

Good luck with your business venture
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • w06 wrote: »
    I'd also see no problem. I worked (PAYE) and topped my income up with small self employed side line at the same time on DLA for several years. The only time that it would be an issue would be if by doing so you were contradicting what you'd said and the reasons that you receive PIP or DLA. For example if your self employed business was as a dog walker (needing to walk miles each day) and your claim says you can't walk 20 metres.

Unless the dog walking was taking place from an electric scooter or wheelchair. Even this job could be possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure