question abot Npower Energy Online January 2014

xxdeebeexx
xxdeebeexx Posts: 1,964 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi, I am going round and round in circles trying to find the best gas and electricity tariff to move to.

I have tried to read all the small print and I;m now very confused!

I understand that Npower Energy Online January 2014 tariff gives a discount or cashback at the end of the yearly term.... would this discount be included in their quote details? ie monthy payments?

Are the rates the new increased rates or the present ones?

I have gone direct to their web site as I am hoping to go through topcashback

tia

dx

Comments

• Hi,

I don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to warn you, I switched from EDF to NPower at the end of September, I have heard nothing from them, no paperwork no idea when i move over to them, I have sent two emails asking for it to be looked into and have had no reply I have rang them waited on hold for 45 mins to be told their system is down and someone would ring me back in 24-48hrs which didn't happen, I know they have started to shut my account down with edf as when I log in to my edf account it tells me i'm leaving them but I have no account number with npower. Honestly if I could go back I would avoid.
  • xxdeebeexx wrote: »
    I understand that Npower Energy Online January 2014 tariff gives a discount or cashback at the end of the yearly term.... would this discount be included in their quote details? ie monthy payments?

The discount is included in their quote details.
    xxdeebeexx wrote: »
    Are the rates the new increased rates or the present ones?

The Energy Online January 2014 tariff is not affected by the increased rates.

If you are searching for the cheapest tariff then I recommend looking at uswitch or Energy Help Line.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    I've just switched to that tariff. I'm not aware of any cashback or discount paid after a year.
  • xxdeebeexx
    xxdeebeexx Posts: 1,964 Forumite
    I've just switched to that tariff. I'm not aware of any cashback or discount paid after a year.
    * Your annual discount: If you pay by Direct Debit continuously for 12 months (either by making monthly payments or by settling your quarterly bill in full by variable Direct Debit) we’ll give you a discount off your bill (£100 if you buy both electricity and gas, £50 if you buy just gas or £40 if you buy just electricity). Alternatively, if you pay for both fuels for 12 months by cash or cheque, either when you receive your quarterly bill or by regular monthly or fortnightly payments, we’ll give you a £10 Dual Fuel discount. Your discount will be credited to your account on or before the last day of the 12th month after becoming eligible and then on or before the same last day of each year you continue to pay this way. Dual fuel customers must pay for both fuels in one combined payment and accept a combined dual fuel bill or statement to receive a Dual Fuel discount. Certain tariffs are excluded. Subject to change.

• The Energy Online January 2014 tariff is not affected by the increased rates.

Is this a cynical ploy by Npower.
    This tariff is guaranteed to be 3% lower than standard so after the price increases it will be a lot lower than that.

So by keeping it at the lower price it will figure at the top of most comparison sites, thus encouraging more people to switch to it.
    When they have sufficient new mugs, sorry customers, they will increase the price up to the 3% below standard figure without having to announce it to the public with all the bad publicity.
  • Is this a cynical ploy by Npower.
    This tariff is guaranteed to be 3% lower than standard so after the price increases it will be a lot lower than that.

So by keeping it at the lower price it will figure at the top of most comparison sites, thus encouraging more people to switch to it.
    When they have sufficient new mugs, sorry customers, they will increase the price up to the 3% below standard figure without having to announce it to the public with all the bad publicity.

That's odd. My experience is exactly the opposite and in the very unlikely event that they do another price increase you can simply switch without exit fees.

The only mugs I'm aware of are the ones who pay more for their electricity and gas than they have to.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    xxdeebeexx wrote: »
    * Your annual discount: If you pay by Direct Debit continuously for 12 months (either by making monthly payments or by settling your quarterly bill in full by variable Direct Debit) we’ll give you a discount off your bill (£100 if you buy both electricity and gas, £50 if you buy just gas or £40 if you buy just electricity)...

Ah, I see what you mean. As I read it, that was already included in the quote.
  • Is this a cynical ploy by Npower.

I think you are right - if so I can't believe they can still be quoting annual savings based on prices that will be rising in the next few weeks. Only when I put my annual consumption on their website did I see the small print saying 'elec & gas prices valid from 12 Sept 2012'. How else could this tariff be coming out as best value on comparison sites yet I saw quote in Guardian, 'The rises, which come into effect on 16 November for British Gas and 10 days later for npower customers, will make the latter the most expensive supplier in the country.' ?
  • confuuzed wrote: »
    I think you are right - if so I can't believe they can still be quoting annual savings based on prices that will be rising in the next few weeks. Only when I put my annual consumption on their website did I see the small print saying 'elec & gas prices valid from 12 Sept 2012'. How else could this tariff be coming out as best value on comparison sites yet I saw quote in Guardian, 'The rises, which come into effect on 16 November for British Gas and 10 days later for npower customers, will make the latter the most expensive supplier in the country.' ?

The Energy Online January 2014 tariff is unaffected by npower's latest price rises and I wouldn't believe everything you read in the newspapers, especially The Guardian.
  • Overall, I have found the loyalty bonus to be inconvenient.

The anniversary never falls at the same time my tariff ends.

So, if you sign up in November, they pay the bonus every November.

Since the latest online tarrif ends at January 2014, you would have to stay with NPower until November 2014 to receive your £100 bonus. This potentially ties you to NPower for an additional 10 months beyond the end of your tariff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure