Which Tom Tom?

mongmoney
mongmoney Posts: 174 Forumite
Mortgage-free Glee!
I need a satnav and want to know which of the devices are best before i buy. Any of you really pleased with what you've got?
Advice needed.
Mongy
Jan GC £28-49/£120 NSD's 15/17
Dec GC £90-90/£140 NSD's 17/18
Storms make oaks take deeper root

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My TomTom is made by Garmin.

It's a high spec Nuvi, bought because it came with both European and US maps pre loaded. I'm very happy with it.

It's got loads of bells and whistles. Very few which I actually use. It sounds obvious, but I'd recommend working out what features you actually need before you decide on a particular model.
  • My TomTom is made by Garmin.

??????????

Had a TT550 for a few months now with years free live traffic-cant fault it.
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

Got a huge Buzz out of it.
  • I run a Garmin, not quite as easy to use as the Tom Tom, but compared to car manufacturer fitted creations is simplicity itself.

Chose Garmin over Tom Tom because the traffic receiver is free for life, as i travel around 1500 miles a week that's of prime importance to me.
  • tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I'm happy with my XL! I didnt need live updates, I dont travel to Europe or the US and the screen size and clarity is good. Its a notch above "basic".
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    I had a tomtom that died a year ago after 2 1/2 years service. My father in law bought a garmin the same week i bought my tomtom,and his still works like it was new, and he uses his a lot more than i used mine. when i have some spare £££ i will be buying this model...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Widescreen-Traffic-Services-European/dp/B002NPC0P8/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3QNVTT9ISM4GS&colid=MGN16UTU11G1
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Just bought a Garmin Nuvi 2300 - for £90 it does everything I need.
  • wobbley
    wobbley Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    This is great, never sends you down the wrong road !

lrg_492-9_16_c.24f63522.jpg
    Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have both, a Tom Tom 300 which is 4 years old and a 2 year old garmin bought in the US when I "lost" my Tom Tom (it turned up later) of the 2 I far prefer the Tom Tom unit, its easier to use and seems to work better for re-routing however the garmin is a better shape for carrying when out of the car and its battery works unlike the Tom Tom which lasted about 6 months before it had to be wired in to work which is a pain.
    Speed cameras - never had a problem with the Tom Tom ones but garmin is a PITA pinging for camera zones rather than actual cameras.

I use mine in the UK and USA but not Europe and could not cope without then now LOL
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    I would.go for the cheapest widescreen one that i could find , i have bought two TomTom ones over the years and found them good.

One was fitted with an SD card and one was fitted with the internal memory.

The SD card one still worked fine but i can't find it. The one with the internal memory packed up.

I currently use a Navman, widescreen bought purely due to it having full euro maps and i couldn't find my Tomtom with the sd card as that had euro maps.

I still use the Navman as it has rds traffic. But it is not as good as a TomTom. Doesn't route aswell as a TomTom or reroute aswell either.

My next satnav will be a TomTom.

If you check the Police a lot of them use TomTom and Terrafix a system for despatching Ambulances also uses TomTom maps.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Still on my go 720 here and its brilliant for what it does.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure