hate it when people are shocked

Comments

• Well I never expected to get so many posts! It's been interesting reading through them all and if it's taught me anything it's that there are so many different attitudes towards debt.

I haven't found any of the posts judgemental and I can see everyone's point of view.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Well I never expected to get so many posts! It's been interesting reading through them all and if it's taught me anything it's that there are so many different attitudes towards debt.

I haven't found any of the posts judgemental and I can see everyone's point of view.

I wish you all the best in your future with your debts.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Interesting thread :)

Jagraf, the note to yourself about drinking less lobsters made me laugh!!!

We started off with a similar level of debt to the OP, and are also fortunate to have a healthy household income these days.

I think, from our own experiences, that having what you perceive to be a 'high' salary (perhaps suddenly, due to a big promotion etc) can be part of the problem when it comes to your own expectations about money and lifestyle.

I also think there is quite a big debt culture in this country- we certainly both came out of university owing student loans and massive overdrafts (plenty of 'cheap' debt offers thrown at students!) and found during our 20s that it seemed to be the norm in our social circles to buy cars on finance, and stick a holiday on the credit card... so long as your nice salary can afford the monthly repayments no problem we thought!

I'm not sure it is ALL that different to being in a lower amount of debt on a smaller income- same issues, temptations, misjudgments... just different numbers. Until that light bulb pings on, the debt train can keep on rolling until it hits a wall- the larger the income the higher the amount of debt accrued before things start to stop feeling comfortable and manageable.

I'm just relieved that we have seen the error of our ways while we are young enough to turn things around and create a healthy and stable financial future (fingers crossed!).

Best of luck with your journey midlander! :T
    Total Starting Debt August 2014- £38,061
    Current Debt- £3600

Mortgage Offset Savings- £600
    90.5% paid off so far...
  • Moneymash
    Moneymash Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Why are people so shocked that you owe 40k on a 70k salary. I think you fell into the trap of we earn a lot, so we can spend a lot, then poor budgeting and money management on pay day has seen the debt increase.

I also think that when you earn such a salary there are a lot of non-decisions to be made for example why would you not buy what you perceive to be the best food from the nicest surroundings, why would you not go to the best gym ( I know OP said they didn’t have gym membership this is just an example!) Why would you not go for a new car every few years, or go on nice holidays or buy good presents for people. It is when you have a low salary you have more decisions to make, to get the most out of your money and to make it last.

Why is some bragging ok, but other so called bragging isn't? When you mentioned your joint income to me it was putting your debt in to context, I owe 40k but because we earn 70k if we exercise some control and prudent measures and we should have this licked, yet to some you were bragging about your income. Apparently it’s ok for certain people to brag about how they've fed a family of 15 on the grand total of £3 a day for the last six months, and how they've used the potato peelings the chickens didn't want to make a huge vat of soup out of, that will last a week, of which the left over dregs can then be used to clean the bath out with. Before anybody decides to make comment in reference to this I am a Mr Money Moustache follower. I just find it annoying when someone mentions a so called high salary it is considered distasteful, yet the opposite is ok, not everyone has the time or the talent to live a pared down lifestyle.

For some reason people think that people on high salaries have some sort of responsibility to people on lower salaries to spend their money wisely, and live within their means, and they have no excuse to be in debt.

I remember a thread about a man from a poor working class background that had pulled himself up from his boot straps and was earning a salary similar to yours. His problem was he couldn’t bring himself to spend as he was worried about running out of money. The responses were people telling him, spend this, spend that, you’ve earned it, you deserve it, your lifestyle should be at this level because you earn at that level etc etc. There was no thought to his long term plans, maybe he wanted to retire early, maybe he wanted to give more to charity, most of the advice was spend now and spend quickly. I also remember a thread where someone had asked if 14k of debt was bad if it was all on 0%, most of the responses where it’s ok, you’re not paying any interest and well done for getting it all on 0%. This was even when the OP said that if either they or their partner lost their job they would struggle to make minimum payments. People do expect people to behave a certain way based on their income. I also think some people are envious that you had 40k available credit, that you can afford the £1300 repayments you are making (granted that £1300 is someone else's entire monthly salary but it’s all relative) and that your salary is 70k so once you made the decision to clear the debt it won’t be a long and painful journey.

It’s almost as if people want you to have a bad/harrowing debt-free journey as a further punishment for being in debt on such a salary. My debt-free journey was difficult but that was my choice because I wanted to escape debt quickly.

Also at what point do you start worrying about being in debt on such a salary, certainly 15k of debt isn’t going to worry you as much as it would worry someone earning 20k a year. You are paying down the debt now and that’s all that matters. Good luck on your journey may it be as easy and pain free as possible, quite possibly the most painful part has been this thread!

Quote from James_B.
    "Christian" does not mean "nice", and many nice people are not Christian.
    Unfortunately for Christians and fortunately for nice people you are right.
    Debt-Free day 30th September 2014
  • Brilliant post Moneymash.
    Total Starting Debt August 2014- £38,061
    Current Debt- £3600

Mortgage Offset Savings- £600
    90.5% paid off so far...
  • misskl
    misskl Posts: 37 Forumite
    I suppose it depends on how you feel about the debt. Are you comfortable with 57%?

After tax on my salary, I was coming out with 19k a year- but I owed 12k. That is 63%, a huge amount. I thought because I 'earned' 26k it wasn't so bad, but it really impacted me and my lifestyle, and next month I will be out of debt.

Upon reading about debt, I heard that you should never be more than 10% of your salary in debt. I think that whatever makes you feel comfortable is right- now, I don't want any debt on my name whatsoever.

Whichever way you look at it, you're going to have to make some lifestyle changes- that's the bit that's going to hurt.
    finally debt free,becoming wealth conscious!
    *LBM- October 2013* *Debt free November 2014*
    [STRIKE]~ Debt (Loan): £8500[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]~ Debt (Card) £2700[/STRIKE]
    ~ISA(Emergency) savings:~
    ~ House Savings- £1700 ~ LT savings ~ Pension Pot £600
  • If anyone is being judgemental here it's you.

Love how you sent the boot in at the end! Thats me summed up, is it? You don't know me, so this caused me a few chuckles. And I never asked to be judged, but I had a supportive viewpoint I wanted to communicate to the OP. How does that justify what you said to me? Little bit harsh. Misskl says what I wanted to say far more eloquently than I. My point was it doesnt matter what everyone else thinks. And I wasnt addressing this to anyone, whichever way their opinion goes, only the OP. Lots of luck to you with that attitude!:o
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I worked in a mortgage department of a bank for many years, and saw people applying for remortgages, so they could add their unsecured debts to the mortgage.

I left this employment 5 years ago.

Up until the time I left, £20000 of unsecured debt was commonplace, £40000 was not unusual, and there were extreme cases where there was £100,000 of unsecured debt.

So the size of people's debt never shocks me, because I've seen it all before
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • James_B.
    James_B. Posts: 404 Forumite
    Moneymash wrote: »
    I also think that when you earn such a salary there are a lot of non-decisions to be made for example why would you not buy what you perceive to be the best food from the nicest surroundings, why would you not go to the best gym ( I know OP said they didn’t have gym membership this is just an example!) Why would you not go for a new car every few years, or go on nice holidays or buy good presents for people.

I really don't understand this way of thinking, you seem to be suggesting that if you earn a reasonable salary then you forget that you need to live within it.

Why would you not have "the best"? Simple answer is because you cant afford the best on £70k. You can't even have "the best" on £700k per year.
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    misskl wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on how you feel about the debt. Are you comfortable with 57%?

After tax on my salary, I was coming out with 19k a year- but I owed 12k. That is 63%, a huge amount. I thought because I 'earned' 26k it wasn't so bad, but it really impacted me and my lifestyle, and next month I will be out of debt.

Upon reading about debt, I heard that you should never be more than 10% of your salary in debt. I think that whatever makes you feel comfortable is right- now, I don't want any debt on my name whatsoever.

Whichever way you look at it, you're going to have to make some lifestyle changes- that's the bit that's going to hurt.

Excellent post
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family