Reimburse employer for private mileage fuel

Hi,

I have a company car along with a fuel card which all fuel is paid for with.

I have opted out of having personal fuel paid for so I complete a log book each day, separating business and personal miles.

I need to reimburse my employer for the personal miles for the 2010/11 tax year.

What rate do I use for the calculation? The AFR?

Thanks

Comments

• mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 287
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Would I be right in thinking I take it from here...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/advisory_fuel_current.htm

In my case a 1.9 diesel is 13p per mile I repay?

Thanks
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    if you are supplied with a fuel card you must reimburse the employer every penny spent to be free of the benefit charge not just the private mileage.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • AIFOP
    AIFOP Posts: 29 Forumite
    hope this helps?

Extract from HMRC website in respect to HMRC advisory fuel rates (sorry as a 'new user' I can not upload weblinks)

Employers who require employees to repay the cost of fuel used for private travel

Providing that all of the miles of private travel have been properly identified, HMRC will accept that there is no fuel benefit charge, and therefore no Class 1A NICs liability, where the employer uses the appropriate rate from the current table (or any higher rate) to work out the cost of fuel used for private travel that the employee must repay to the employer.
  • mikeyboy
    Forumite
    Thanks,

So if I use the rate from HMRC, I.e. 13p per mile in my case I will be ok?

Eg, if I did 100 miles I would pay 100 x 13p £13.00???

I am confused as to if it is just this, or should I be paying the amount actually spent on the fuel card? But this obviously varies as prices change etc, so almost impossible to calculate at-the end of the year.
  • mikeyboy
    Forumite
    dori2o wrote: »
    if you are supplied with a fuel card you must reimburse the employer every penny spent to be free of the benefit charge not just the private mileage.

Can anybody confirm if this is correct as it appears to go against what I thought was the situation.

I was under the impression that provided an accurate mileage log is kept and it clearly separates business and personal miles it is simply a case of reimbursing employer at end of the year.

Only if the card issued is used and personal miles not refunded would it become a tax issue?

Please can someone provide some clarity?

Thanks
  • taxsaver
    taxsaver Posts: 620 Forumite
    Yes, you are correct and dori2o is incorrect. :)
    If you feel my comments are helpful then I'd love it if you 'Thanked' me! :)
  • mikeyboy
    Forumite
    taxsaver wrote: »
    Yes, you are correct and dori2o is incorrect. :)

Many thanks for confirming things :beer:
  • AIFOP
    AIFOP Posts: 29 Forumite
    Mikeyboy,

The use of HMRC advisory fuel rates is the first port of call. However, if you can prove a different rate (pro-rata fuel card costs between private and business mileage) you could use this rate per mile.

I would suggest that you use whatever is better for you, keep the appropriate records and be consistent.
  • Bean_Counter
    Bean_Counter Posts: 1,496
    Forumite
    mikeyboy wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm if this is correct as it appears to go against what I thought was the situation.

I was under the impression that provided an accurate mileage log is kept and it clearly separates business and personal miles it is simply a case of reimbursing employer at end of the year.

Only if the card issued is used and personal miles not refunded would it become a tax issue?

Please can someone provide some clarity?

Thanks

This is what we did for a fuel card holders for those who wish to avoid the fuel BiK charge, using the rates referred to above.

We had a recent visit form HMRC who looked at this and they seemed happy with it.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport