Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam

Just took a call from an outfit describing themselves as "UK Claims" reckoning to be able to get you your banking charges back. They refused to give full company details/address when repeatedly challenged
so its probably dodgy (calling line ID came up as 0123) and I put the phone down on them.

This site is the only help anyone needs!

Midge.

Comments

• THOMAS123
    THOMAS123 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Just took a call from an outfit describing themselves as "UK Claims" reckoning to be able to get you your banking charges back. They refused to give full company details/address when repeatedly challenged
    so its probably dodgy (calling line ID came up as 0123) and I put the phone down on them.

This site is the only help anyone needs!

Midge.

I have just got back from holiday and the first call I had was from this lot.

Just another rubbish CMC
  • Ask them for their Ministry of Justice authorisation number next time please cos UK CLAIMS does not help find out much info to be honest.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • Thanks - though I doubt it would have gotten me any further in this case. Either a company is legit and happy to provide details or they are not.
  • I got a call from "Claims UK" tonight. Managed to keep him talking for 11 minutes before "You can trust me, I'm called Steve!" put the phone down on me. They had my full name & address and was asking for my date of birth. What info do scammers need before they can use the information?
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Tightarse wrote: »
    I got a call from "Claims UK" tonight. Managed to keep him talking for 11 minutes before "You can trust me, I'm called Steve!" put the phone down on me. They had my full name & address and was asking for my date of birth. What info do scammers need before they can use the information?

Depends where they got your details from.

Unfortunately many of these scam companies happily (and quilte illegally) acquire data from all sort of dodgy sources including other claims companies that have gone out of business and failed finance and mortgage brokers who are taken in by the promise of quick easy commission.

Just NEVER give out any card or bank account details - just tell them to sling their hook and to remove your number from their database. Even better - register with TPS and then report them the next time they phone.
  • Many Thanks Brock...

I used to use TPS, but what is the point if they don't show caller ID & are international. Can they actually do anything?
  • Got call from them today 0123, said his name was Simon Dawson, really with that accent, was adamant i was owed money from banking charges £500 to £600.
    How many bankcharges would be overpaid by that much and never have had any in any case, he was still adamant, when he aske for card detail i hung up.
    He called back a few hours later, i told him i thought it was a scam and what was his company address, said he could not tell me until i paid the £70.99 for the legal paperwork to be sent.
    Told him that made his scam sound even worse and hung up.

I had contacted Police after first call, they called back and said definately sounded a scam.
  • spursflyer
    spursflyer Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 September 2010 at 11:58PM
    Be very cautious if you receive a phone call from this company who are based in Swansea . I have it on good authority that they phone up and tell you that you have a refund due of 3k on PPI . They quote the name of a Claims Company whom they claim will be processing the claim , quote the company's MoJ licence number and phone number and then charge you £235 .

The problem is that they have no relationship with the Claims Company and the company will no nothing about your potential claim and will obviously not be in pursuing the lenders for you . The first the Claims company will know of you is when you phone up to see how your claims progressing .

The police , the trading standards and the MoJ are all aware of this company !

If anybody who claims to be : James Henley , James Brown or Adam Jones calls you then please contact the police and trading standards down in swansea . Company also trades as UK Money Saving Ltd .
  • i was dontacted just a few minuts ago by " patricia" from uk claims, i highly doubt that this is her name as her accent was so strong i could bearly understand her.
    she gave me the same speach as all the other posts ..... you are entitled to claim at least £600..... ect. she provided an emploee id number 1901 and insisted i was gonna get some money for just filling in the paperwork and all they wanted was a "small admin payment" ... £79.00. she said she would not ask for my bank details but would read the details she had for me to comfirm.... she read out a number and i told her it was not my bank details as it happens i dont have a credit or debit card that she wanted me then to provide then she starts preassuring me to get someone else to let me use thier card i was bored by this point and told her to get lost as i didn't belive a word she had said and told her she should be ashamed of her behaviour .... end of call
    i hope who ever is behind this scam gets what is coming to them very soon
    the old saying if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is should be remembered.:D
  • I was contacted by somebody from UK Claims saying we were entitle to some compensation money for an accident we had last year. He had a heavy indian accent with the name of Hassan Ali. He asked me lots of questions and said the claims officer will call me in 3 days time to comfirm everything and after that SOMEBODY WILL COME TO OUR HOUSE TO GET ALL THE PAPERS SIGNED. I felt this was kind of dodgy and i started to question him, asking him his name, company's address, phone number, company's website which he gave me.
    Company name: uk claim, address: 170 Garrats lane, Dans street, Wandsworth, SL18 4DP(doesn't exist too). Phone 02071 938974. I called back the number few minutes later to verify, the receptionist sounded very dodgy - could not even speak properly. I asked for the manager who presented himself as Andy Cooper. He pretended to be American but he had an indian accent. Has anyone encountered a similar recently? thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure