New Condensing Boiler = Flue dripping external water?

Hi,

I have recently (last week) had a new condensing combi boiler installed (Glow Worm Flexicom 35HX). I have noticed that when its in use there is always a patch of water outside on the block-paved driveway underneath the flue. Am i right in thinking this should not be the case and that this should be coming back into the boiler and into the condensing drain ? This was ordered direct with Glow Worm and fitted by one of their sub-contracting firms. Today we had a visit from a Glow Worm Service Engineer to 'commission' the boiler and check installation was ok. When it was mentioned to him he said it was 'normal'. I've looked at the flue and it appears to be very slightly tilted back so not sure why there is this patch???

Any thoughts/suggestions would be most appreciated, - I'm thinking of contacting them again but feel like they've already decided all is ok.

Thanks

Comments

• adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I thought condensing boilers had to have a pipe outside going into a drain or soakaway as the discharge was slightly acidic.
    Someone else may be able to confirm this.
  • CharlieBilly
    CharlieBilly Posts: 2,319
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thats normal I think there has been issues when water hasn't escaped recently in some installation as the pipe didn't slop enough and water would then freeze
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    how do you know it is condensate from the boiler?
    it maybe just water vapour in the atmosphere, thats been condensed from the normal hot flue steam/gases.
    Get some gorm.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    adonis wrote: »
    I thought condensing boilers had to have a pipe outside going into a drain or soakaway as the discharge was slightly acidic.
    Someone else may be able to confirm this.

Mine doesn't.

Edited to say: I've had two different plumbers work on it over the years. One does a gas check every year which I have to do as the requirements of my lease.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    olly300 wrote: »
    Mine doesn't.
    It may not but any condensing boiler will have a condensate drain so you'll have one if you can't see it because its prolly connected to your internal waste pipework somewhere. A condensing boiler typically produces 4 litres a day - it has to go somewhere. :D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,747
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I always thought the flue had to be at a slight angle so the condensate drained back in to the boiler?
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    The flue on a condensing boiler should, in a perfect world, slope back towards the boiler at 3 degrees.

You may still get a very slight discharge of condensate when the boiler fires up as the fan may 'blow out' any residual condensate drops that my be laying in the flue.

Boilers can produce around 2 litre/hr if in full condensing mode.
  • keystone wrote: »
    It may not but any condensing boiler will have a condensate drain so you'll have one if you can't see it because its prolly connected to your internal waste pipework somewhere. A condensing boiler typically produces 4 litres a day - it has to go somewhere. :D

Cheers

Yep, I removed part of the kitchen so they could run the condensate pipwerork internally to the waste pipe rather than on the exterior into the main soil pipe.
  • I was just outside taking some photos to send to Glow Worm as it looked particularly bad when I came home tonight.......other half was inside and not aware of what I was doing and turned on one of the taps......this resulted in a gush of HOT water coming out of the flue, down the wall and onto the driveway. I'm sure this can't be right. Its sited to the left of the front door and I'm sure if a visitor was to be 'splashed' they'd not be happy ? Think I'll ring Glow Worm tomorrow......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure