Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Notebook
    • By Notebook 9th Nov 17, 2:15 PM
    • 208Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Notebook
    French account in s
    • 9th Nov 17, 2:15 PM
    French account in s 9th Nov 17 at 2:15 PM
    Hi
    Is it possible to open a deposit / savings account in France with the money held in pounds and not euros?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 9th Nov 17, 6:36 PM
    • 24,185 Posts
    • 11,462 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 9th Nov 17, 6:36 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 6:36 PM
    You need to ask the French banks.
    In theory it should be possible just like you can have an Euro account here (at a cost).
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 9th Nov 17, 8:18 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Sarastro
    • 9th Nov 17, 8:18 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 8:18 PM
    I think you'd be clobbered by unfavourable exchange rates and fees every time you spent anything from the french account. What are you trying to achieve? There may be UK banks who offer better or why not one of the travel credit cards that allows you to spend overseas with tiny fees?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Nov 17, 4:19 AM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 10th Nov 17, 4:19 AM
    • 10th Nov 17, 4:19 AM
    As Sarastro says, if such accounts exist they will be expensive and lack useful facility, the same as foreign currency accounts with UK banks. If you mention your purpose there are probably better solutions.
    • Kirstie_
    • By Kirstie_ 12th Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Kirstie_
    • 12th Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    • 12th Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    Have you tried Revolut?
    • Notebook
    • By Notebook 12th Nov 17, 6:23 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Notebook
    • 12th Nov 17, 6:23 PM
    • 12th Nov 17, 6:23 PM
    Will take a look. Thanks
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 14th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 14th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    Hi
    Is it possible to open a deposit / savings account in France with the money held in pounds and not euros?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Notebook
    For a regular domestic bank account in France, deposits in pounds are automatically converted to Euros and vice versa automatically converted to pounds when you transfer to a UK bank from your French bank account. That's how I'm currently clobbered. Overall consider the exchange rate when considering a deposit/transfer. However French banks do currency and expatriate accounts just the same as UK banks and most other country's banks.
    • Hazzanet
    • By Hazzanet 14th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    Hazzanet
    • 14th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    https://www.britline.com/banking-currency-account.html

Open a Sterling Currency Account

This account is available to Britline customers who hold a € current account. The minimum balance required to open the account is 1,000 (either by sterling cheque, sterling transfer or transfer from € account). The account allows you to hold your funds in sterling until the time is right for you to convert into euros.
    • CA Britline
      Verified User verified user
    • By CA Britline Verified User verified user 15th Nov 17, 9:13 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    CA Britline
    • 15th Nov 17, 9:13 AM
    accounts in France
    • 15th Nov 17, 9:13 AM
    Britline can propose instant access accounts in sterling (no means of payment) or short term fixed accounts - depending on interest rates available. They can also propose these in different currencies. As the rates are constantly changing it is best to contact them directly via britline.com or by tel 00.33.2.31.55.67.89
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 15th Nov 17, 9:49 PM
    • 24,185 Posts
    • 11,462 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Britline can propose instant access accounts in sterling (no means of payment) or short term fixed accounts - depending on interest rates available. They can also propose these in different currencies. As the rates are constantly changing it is best to contact them directly via britline.com or by tel 00.33.2.31.55.67.89
    Originally posted by RPJOCTOBER
    Do you have anything to do with this company at all?
    First post and all that?
    • Notebook
    • By Notebook 16th Nov 17, 9:02 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Notebook
    Do you know if you can get a card so that you can withdraw money in the uk?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 16th Nov 17, 9:13 AM
    • 23,444 Posts
    • 13,629 Thanks
    xylophone
    Do you have anything to do with this company at all?
    First post and all that?
    I don't think it's anything "fly by night...."

Credit Agricole based - see

https://www.britline.com/

I suspect that the poster may be French from the use of "propose" rather than "offers" - perhaps a French national working in the UK?
    • CA Britline
    • By CA Britline Verified User verified user 17th Nov 17, 8:56 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    CA Britline
    French account in s
    Hi,

In order to be completely open, yes I do work for Britline and have done so for nearly 15 years. I visit this site regularly and enjoy keeping up with what is happening in the UK and reading Martin's recommendations. When I saw the post made by a previous member mentioning Britline I felt obliged to confirm the information. I am english but have been in France for some time so I do use words sometimes that are a bit more French than english! (propose vs offers) - sorry for that! I must stress I am member in a personal capacity .
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 19th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    • 24,185 Posts
    • 11,462 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Hi,

In order to be completely open, yes I do work for Britline and have done so for nearly 15 years. I visit this site regularly and enjoy keeping up with what is happening in the UK and reading Martin's recommendations. When I saw the post made by a previous member mentioning Britline I felt obliged to confirm the information. I am english but have been in France for some time so I do use words sometimes that are a bit more French than english! (propose vs offers) - sorry for that! I must stress I am member in a personal capacity .
    You could have pointed that out in your original post?
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 20th Nov 17, 1:09 PM
    • 8,728 Posts
    • 20,992 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi,

Thanks for trying to help and feel it's something Britline could use a verified forum account can you ask them to email forumteam@ moneysavingexpert.com from the company domain and we can look into setting one up.

Thanks!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • CA Britline
    • By CA Britline Verified User verified user 20th Nov 17, 5:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    CA Britline
    French Account in s
    Hi,

Yes I should have done probably, but was surprised to see Britline on here! Have now applied for an account to be above board - but I don't have your 10 years experience so sorry for the rookie error. As I said I come to the site often to keep up to speed and have never responded previously. Will not reply regarding this topic again or if I do it will be in an official capacity! Sorry if I ruffled feathers, really wasn't my intention.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,433Posts Today

9,314Users online

Martin's Twitter